• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Wings interested in Forsberg, Selanne, Markov

Rate this topic

So who are we giving up to eat the $6M that Feds comes with and what money do we have to acquire Selanne after that??? Not a likely outcome my friend

At the deadline Fedorov would cost less than half of his $6M. And I like the idea of him being a Wing again.

For Fedorov to be a deadline acquisition worth pursuing he first has to put up some good numbers in Columbus, and that just isn't something that I see him doing at this point in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another disappointing injury-riddled year.

So who are we giving up to eat the $6M that Feds comes with and what money do we have to acquire Selanne after that??? Not a likely outcome my friend

Offsides did the calculations a while ago, I think we'd eat about $2.5mill of his salary. I like Feds, but I'm still thinking on "scoring" vs. "toughness"... we need both, but it depends on how we get it.

Ideally packaged in one player, but I doubt Kenny will pull that off.

They are both going to retire. Why would Selanne play another season. He won the cup last year for the first and only time.

Once the summer's half-way through and you realize it's your first (and only) time winning the Cup, you start thinking you may just want to do it again. It doesn't matter if you're near retirement, the desire can grab anybody.

I don't think the Wings will get him, or anybody else will for that matter. It'll be Anaheim + the Cup or bust for that guy.

First of all, I'd like to get Danny back. If we don't, oh well.

Out of the other two...that's the lesser of two evils. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose (and that's the ONLY way I'd do it), I would have to choose Selanne. Two reasons. One: As mentioned before, Forsberg has more baggage than FedEx at Christmas time when it comes to injuries. And two: Selanne and Val Filppula have a history together, and who knows but that the elder might not be a good influence on the younger.

However, I am very content with the lineup as is. So why screw around with it?

Edited by Kira

What about Cleary???

...I knew I forgot someone!!!!!! ARGH!!!! Heck put him on the 2nd line, screw sammy! LOL!!!

...well, my friend, since most of his salary will already be paid by the trade deadline, I would say that he would maybe cost us about $2MM or less to employ for the rest of the season. Of course you sound like you know all about the game, so you probably already knew that.

..Then he is a UFA after 2008 so he will resign here for a couple of years at a very minimal salary and retire here, and his #91 will be raised...

For Fedorov to be a deadline acquisition worth pursuing he first has to put up some good numbers in Columbus, and that just isn't something that I see him doing at this point in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another disappointing injury-riddled year.

...he doesn't have to, he needs to stay healthy and when he becomes a Wing again, he'll be a third line center so he won't be expected to save to team, but add the extra scoring that we lacked (power play) in the Anaheim series...

...I knew I forgot someone!!!!!! ARGH!!!! Heck put him on the 2nd line, screw sammy! LOL!!!

...well, my friend, since most of his salary will already be paid by the trade deadline, I would say that he would maybe cost us about $2MM or less to employ for the rest of the season. Of course you sound like you know all about the game, so you probably already knew that.

..Then he is a UFA after 2008 so he will resign here for a couple of years at a very minimal salary and retire here, and his #91 will be raised...

...he doesn't have to, he needs to stay healthy and when he becomes a Wing again, he'll be a third line center so he won't be expected to save to team, but add the extra scoring that we lacked (power play) in the Anaheim series...

We already have a pretty solid 3rd line center, his name is Kris Draper. If we're going to bring in a forward at the deadline next year to help us score, it has to be a 2nd line sniper, because I see a problem with Samuelsson and Franzen as top 6 forwards right now.

Guest jaytan

I don't like signing guys at the trade deadline very much either. It's like relying on mercenaries to win a war.

They are both going to retire. Why would Selanne play another season. He won the cup last year for the first and only time. He has nothing left to play for and wants to go out on top. Foresburg had ankle surgery again this summer. He's done. Now let's move. I'm ok with the lineup we have.

Forget the "big" names of past glories.

Let's invest in some tough,young players who we can keep around awhile.

I'm sure that the Rangers won't like the salary arbitration ruling that Sean Avery receives in a week or so.

Lets bring him back,and I'm sure he'll be just the ingredient we need.

I wouldn't mind seeing Selanne come here, but it isn't happening. There's no way he leaves Anaheim for another team. It's either the Ducks or retirement for Teemu. It would be sweet revenge in a sense to pay the Ducks back for Schneids and Bert, but Teemu is going to retire as a champion.

Sadly, I think Forsberg probably stands the best chance of playing for the Red Wings. You can't argue with Forsberg's career production, but signing a guy that will probably play in half of the games (best case scenario) wiill not solve the top six forward problem. I'd stay away from Forsberg.

As for Markov, I can't see him coming back unless he lowers his contract demands. Somebody is dumb enough out there to pay Markov more than his value (Islanders). Markov would be nice, but not necessary.

Edited by GoWings1905

this isn't a sergi federov thread, but you know what? i had to respond to this. You are aware that federov still holds records on the wings for playoff scoring? If you don't think he'd be a great addition if it didn't cost us a terrible amount you havn't been a red wings fan for long. I don't care if he's played terrible since leaving our team, he's bored. Sergi's a rock star and always has been. He wants to be the man so badly, he can't do it in columbus. Not with that support. But, if he realizes that comming back to Detroit allows him the opportunity to add to his legend you're going to see what a focused, MOTIVATED sergi federov can do.

I love stupid rumors.

Forsberg is going to retire, as the man can hardly walk anymore. Even if he doesn't, he has stated that he only wants to play for 3 teams: Colorado, Philadelphia, or Nashville.

The Wings have a better chance of landing Dany Heatley for Kopecky and Lilja than ever signing Selanne. He has also said he would only play for one team: Anaheim.

There, end of story. Let's go after a realistic option here people, like Jeff O'Neill.

I love stupid rumors.

Forsberg is going to retire, as the man can hardly walk anymore. Even if he doesn't, he has stated that he only wants to play for 3 teams: Colorado, Philadelphia, or Nashville.

The Wings have a better chance of landing Dany Heatley for Kopecky and Lilja than ever signing Selanne. He has also said he would only play for one team: Anaheim.

There, end of story. Let's go after a realistic option here people, like Jeff O'Neill.

I don't know what "rumor" you're referring to. If you bothered to read my initial post, Devellano said that the Wings have discussed signing Forsberg or Selanne.

When did Forsberg ever state he would only play for one of those three teams?

I don't know what "rumor" you're referring to. If you bothered to read my initial post, Devellano said that the Wings have discussed signing Forsberg or Selanne.

Chelios also said he'd never play for the Red Wings.

Exactly! We have no chance landing Selanne,the discussion between Teemu & Devellano will be a very short one.

this isn't a sergi federov thread, but you know what? i had to respond to this. You are aware that federov still holds records on the wings for playoff scoring? If you don't think he'd be a great addition if it didn't cost us a terrible amount you havn't been a red wings fan for long. I don't care if he's played terrible since leaving our team, he's bored. Sergi's a rock star and always has been. He wants to be the man so badly, he can't do it in columbus. Not with that support. But, if he realizes that comming back to Detroit allows him the opportunity to add to his legend you're going to see what a focused, MOTIVATED sergi federov can do.

Yes I would love to see what FEDEROV can do... He better be better than that FEDOROV guy that played here at one time.... :lol:

Anyways... We need just one guy and one guy only to sign with us now and the only real choice I see is signing Markov. Lebda is fast enough to play on the 4th line and be the extra D-man when someone is hurt/suspended(Kronwall). I would love to see Forsberg in Hockeytown but he wont be back for a while.... but I betcha that ole Kenny Holland will be in close talks with his agent from now till at least the trade deadline. It will be very interesting to see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

Edited by Salviaman

It's basically the same thing.

Discussion or not, I can pretty much guerentee neither of those players will play for the Wings. I would like them to sign here, but I don't see it happening. Especially Selanne. He'd be leaving a situation he's very comfortable with in Anaheim, and for what exactly?

Chelios also said he'd never play for the Red Wings.

These guys didn't say they would never play for the Wings. All they said was that they had teams which they wanted to sign with, none of which included the Wings as one of them.

Fedorov is my 2nd favorite player ever besides Stevie, and I'm more than aware of his playoff history. However, it's ridiculous for you or anyone else to suggest that he can be a huge contribution to this team. He's injury prone and on the downside of his career. It's hard for someone to drop off that fast, and then all of a sudden to become a good player again in their late 30's. He also doesn't have to add to his legend because he has nothing left to prove. He's a sure fire hall of famer as it is.

Selanne, yes, please... but he won't come here. Why should he?

Markov, yes, of course, but only if he's reasonable. Otherwise, go with what we've got.

Forsberg, no! Hell, no. Please, Kenny, just say no and give him a one way ticket to Denver. :crazy:

Of course if Holland took cues from someone that forgets one of our best forwards in Cleary, we would probably end up with a team like the Columbus Blue Jackets...lol :P

Valtteri Filppula, who coach Mike Babcock feels has star potential, Jiri Hudler and Tomas Kopecky all showed signs they're ready to assume more prominent roles.

Both Nill and Devellano feel the most intriguing player to watch this fall will be Filppula.

The speedy Finn exceeded the team's expectations last season with his rapid development and many in the organization feel they have another Henrik Zetterberg-type of player on their hands.

Big wraps for Flip!

Guest DetroitIan

I really just hope we can retain Markov. Selanne would be nice. A healthy Forsberg would be nice. But IMO our number one priority should be Markov. Our D would be so stacked. Cause who knows how long Kronner will stay healthy. We NEED to re-sign Markov.

Edited by DetroitIan