• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Wings interested in Forsberg, Selanne, Markov

Rate this topic

I really just hope we can retain Markov. Selanne would be nice. A healthy Forsberg would be nice. But IMO our number one priority should be Markov. Our D would be so stacked. Cause who knows how long Kronner will stay healthy. We NEED to re-sign Markov.

I like Markov and if the Wings re - signed him our defence would be one of the best out there. but i'd sign him for a year if they did. Ericsson will be ready to step up soon and he's going to be a monster on Defence , with him , Quincey and Kindl nearly if not already ready ...someone's gonna need to step aside and It's probably going to be Markov.

Forsberg, no! Hell, no. Please, Kenny, just say no and give him a one way ticket to Denver. :crazy:

I don't want Forsberg here either just because I don't see any way he plays 70 games in a season, but at the same time I'm not going to be doing cartwheels if he lands with the Avs. It would be great to see their cap get hit by signing him, which would effectively take away their trade-deadline flexibility, but man, I could also see them feeding off that "vibe" he would bring and doing some damage.

I don't want to face a healthy Forsberg on the PP if we'd face them in the playoffs either. With Smyth at LW, wouldn't a Forsberg signing move Wolski down to their 3rd line? I want any "growing pains" to be exposed on the top 2 lines, not hidden down on a checking line.

Oh well, I'm getting ahead of myself for no reason. Let's just say I'll be cracking a beer when I hear the news of his retirement/Philly signing! :D

I really did enjoy the physical game Markov brought to our team. He was part of my personal favoirte play from last season, when he drilled the guy on the Oilers and that lead to a sweet Datsyuk goal. But for what Markov is asking, I think we would be best suited elsewhere. I dont realistically see Selanne leaving the Ducks, persnally I am really suprised he hasn't been signed already. But of the three, Selanne is definalty the guy i'd take.

Selanne would be a great mentor for Filppula. I dont like Selanne that much, but a one year contract wouldnt hurt the Wings and it would do a ton for Filppula.

A one year contract signing Selanne would be amazing. Could you imagine putting him on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg? Both of those guys could be 100 point scorers with Selanne.

The only problem has been already mentioned a million times: he likes it Anaheim, and it's very doubtful he'll want to leave a situation that he's very comfortable with down there.

A one year contract signing Selanne would be amazing. Could you imagine putting him on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg? Both of those guys could be 100 point scorers with Selanne.

The only problem has been already mentioned a million times: he likes it Anaheim, and it's very doubtful he'll want to leave a situation that he's very comfortable with down there.

Take it for what its worth, but according to EKLUND, Selanne sold his house in Anaheim recently. If thats true, hes either retiring or might play somewhere else. He does like his cars, so maybe hell play for one more year so he can buy a few more. What better place than the motor city? :hehe:

In all honesty though, its wishful thinking, but the guy is a sniper and a fast one at that. I would feel very comfortable with Filppula, Selanne, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Homer, and the lucky bastard #6 that gets to play with those guys as our top 2 lines.

Take it for what its worth, but according to EKLUND, Selanne sold his house in Anaheim recently. If thats true, hes either retiring or might play somewhere else. He does like his cars, so maybe hell play for one more year so he can buy a few more. What better place than the motor city? :hehe:

But didn't you hear? Selanne will be playing in Philly this year!!!!!!!!!11

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have to poke fun at Eklunds stupidity. I don't know why he would even think Selanne would go to a loser team like Philly.

I swear, Eklund really is a homer sometimes. He lives in Philly, and is a Flyers fan, so half of these rumors are all things he'd like to see.

I'm content to wait until the deadline. The only question is, Will management be willing to shell out what's necessary? Biding our time until a great opportunity comes along sounds reasonable enough, but Holland's got to know he's not going to land a top-tier player without paying out of his ass (i.e. picks, prospects, etc.) Obviously anything can happen over the course of a regular season, but I'm very curious as to what management has in mind as far as potential trade packages go....

I'm content to wait until the deadline. The only question is, Will management be willing to shell out what's necessary? Biding our time until a great opportunity comes along sounds reasonable enough, but Holland's got to know he's not going to land a top-tier player without paying out of his ass (i.e. picks, prospects, etc.) Obviously anything can happen over the course of a regular season, but I'm very curious as to what management has in mind as far as potential trade packages go....

I'm confused by your post, are you saying to not trade picks and prospects? Holland has been nothing short of fantastic in terms of how he's handling his picks/prospects in trades since the cap came into place. The Bertuzzi trade didn't work out the best way it could, but in contrast to what other teams paid and what they got out of it, that was probably the best deadline trade that was made.

But didn't you hear? Selanne will be playing in Philly this year!!!!!!!!!11

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have to poke fun at Eklunds stupidity. I don't know why he would even think Selanne would go to a loser team like Philly.

I swear, Eklund really is a homer sometimes. He lives in Philly, and is a Flyers fan, so half of these rumors are all things he'd like to see.

Philly has a pretty solid team this year, I'd be surprised if they didn't the playoffs.

Edited by Heaton

I'm confused by your post, are you saying to not trade picks and prospects?

Sorry, should've worded it more carefully. I'm in favor of trading picks and prospects; my concern is that the top-tier player we'll be looking for will likely cost quite a bit, and I'm not sure we'll be willing [or able, for that matter (see our shallow prospect pool)] to meet the demands. For sure, Holland has a knack for pulling off good deals. And it's not like we need to sell the farm for a superstar. But I'd like to know that the powers that be are prepared to be..."flexible" in structuring a trade.

Philly has a pretty solid team this year, I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs.

Don't be surpirsed though if the make a move for another goalie. Local press is eating them alive about them already.

Don't be surpirsed though if the make a move for another goalie. Local press is eating them alive about them already.

Eating them alive about what? Biron is their goalie, there's no one else going to be brought in.

I was one of those guys who was very Firm saying Ryan Smyth would Never leave the Oilers. SO I suppose I could be wrong here too. But it seems odd that Selanne would leave the Ducks. They are Stanley Cup Champs and he was a Big Part of that title.

I suppose if the decision is based on potential retirement, then I can somewhat understand ... but deciding to go to another team just seems an odd call. So does the very little cap room that Burke has left to sign him. Burke is a smart GM, but has almost completely closed that door.

I was one of those guys who was very Firm saying Ryan Smyth would Never leave the Oilers. SO I suppose I could be wrong here too. But it seems odd that Selanne would leave the Ducks. They are Stanley Cup Champs and he was a Big Part of that title.

I suppose if the decision is based on potential retirement, then I can somewhat understand ... but deciding to go to another team just seems an odd call. So does the very little cap room that Burke has left to sign him. Burke is a smart GM, but has almost completely closed that door.

I wonder if Selanne really appreciates Burke's man-love for all things Canadian...How would you feel if you were the old hero and Burke was busy signing more Canadians while at the same time not knocking down your door to come back? Hurts the pride.

Eating them alive about what? Biron is their goalie, there's no one else going to be brought in.

They believe that a problem will develop between Biron and Niittymaki. Along with the fact that the lcal press doesn't believe either to be the goalie to get it done. Biron doesn't want to be number 2 and Niittymaki supposedly has the skills to change him for the starting role.

Both are really good goalies and could work really well as a tandem alternating nights. Esp. if the shellings when the D takes the night off continue from last season.

Either way it should be fun to watch next season. Well, better than the Aves when I lived in Utah at any rate.

They believe that a problem will develop between Biron and Niittymaki. Along with the fact that the lcal press doesn't believe either to be the goalie to get it done. Biron doesn't want to be number 2 and Niittymaki supposedly has the skills to change him for the starting role.

Both are really good goalies and could work really well as a tandem alternating nights. Esp. if the shellings when the D takes the night off continue from last season.

Either way it should be fun to watch next season. Well, better than the Aves when I lived in Utah at any rate.

Yeah, Nitty is good enough to be a #1 goalie anyway IMO, but so could be Biron. So who knows what will happen there...

I wonder if Selanne really appreciates Burke's man-love for all things Canadian...How would you feel if you were the old hero and Burke was busy signing more Canadians while at the same time not knocking down your door to come back? Hurts the pride.

Well, you cant really expect a team to sit around and wait while a guy decides if he wants to keep playing or not. They had to act as if he were retiring, so they went and signed Bertuzzi to replace him. Whether or not they overpaid for Todd is a seperate issue, but the point is they cant just sit on their hands for Teemu while all the free agent replacement forwards get scooped up. Now if he wants to return, he has to take less money. Just the way it goes. Holland may have waited and waited, as he did while Shanny decided if he wanted to return here last offseason, but Burke doesnt apparently.

Well, you cant really expect a team to sit around and wait while a guy decides if he wants to keep playing or not. They had to act as if he were retiring, so they went and signed Bertuzzi to replace him. Whether or not they overpaid for Todd is a seperate issue, but the point is they cant just sit on their hands for Teemu while all the free agent replacement forwards get scooped up. Now if he wants to return, he has to take less money. Just the way it goes. Holland may have waited and waited, as he did while Shanny decided if he wanted to return here last offseason, but Burke doesnt apparently.

Detroit wasnt waiting to see if Shanny would play, they were waiting to see if hed take their offer.

I agree with the utter sages that want to prioritize Markov. Can't have enough gritty, experienced D. We'd still have enough left over for a sniper. I agree though that deadline deals cost draft picks and that is prohibitive these days. What to do... But I'd take either Fors or Selanne... though pref. the latter. I giggle when I picture them playmaking with 13 or 40...

Detroit wasnt waiting to see if Shanny would play, they were waiting to see if hed take their offer.

That might not have been the greatest example, but I think its similar in the fact that Holland continued to wait for what seemed like forever for Shanny to make up his mind while all potential replacements flew off the board. Whereas Burke seems to be of the opposite approach and goes right for the replacement...like he also did with Schneider. Just trying to illustrate the different philosophy as it was questioned why Anaheim hasnt saved alot of money for Selanne.

first of all, Selanne and Forsberg are almost completely out of the question. Forsberg didn't wanna get traded to detroit last year, and he won't go here this year either. He's already said that if he's gonna play this year, it'll be with either Colorado or Philadelphia. Selanne isn't gonna be playing for any team other than the ducks either. I don't think the wings will be signing any more big players. If they were gonna make any big moves, they would've made them already and not waited this long