• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Defenseman13

Brad Norton

Rate this topic

This is a Shark related question... we apparently signed this guy Brad Norton to a one-year deal, to fill in our gaping D-hole.

here's the link

http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3622

it says:

"Norton, 32, appeared in 5 games registering one assist and 20 penalty minutes with the Detroit Red Wings during the 2006-07 regular season. He spent the majority of the season playing for Grand Rapids (AHL) where in 43 games he posted five points (one goal, four assists) and had 120 penalty minutes.

Entering his 11th season as a professional, Norton has logged 124 career NHL regular season games, totaling three goals, eight assists and 287 penalty minutes for the Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Washington Capitals, Ottawa Senators and Detroit Red Wings. In addition to his NHL totals, Norton has posted 10 goals and 53 assists and 618 penalty minutes in 263 career American Hockey League games with Hamilton, Hershey, Binghamton and Grand Rapids.

The six-foot-six, 235-pound native of Cambridge, Mass. was originally selected by the Edmonton Oilers in the ninth round (215th overall) of the 1993 NHL Entry Draft. He is the younger brother of former Sharks defenseman Jeff Norton."

So aside from being traded more than first cousins at a Predators game, does anyone remember this guy? I'm drawing a blank.

edit: I vaguely remember him now... I found this on Youtube

my god, the comments are hilarious

oh, and here's Evans

sounds like we're taking the Duck's lead and signing some goonage to the roster.

Edited by Defenseman13

Brad Norton with the Red Wings summary:

All he did was fight every game.

He usually lost.

We had a losing record when he was in the lineup.

When we first removed him from the lineup, we went on a long winning streak.

Guest Crymson

my god, the comments are hilarious

I like this comment the best:

" sharomyga (4 months ago) Marked as spam

PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. You will get kissed on the nearest possible Friday by the love of your life. Tomorrow will be the best day of your life. However, if you don't post this comment to at least 3 videos, you will die within 2 days. Copy and paste this, to be saved "

lol.

Anyway, some people here have moaned, since Norton was let go, about why we didn't use him as 'our enforcer'; the unfortunate answer is that, because he loses every fight, nobody is afraid of him and thus he cannot serve as any sort of deterrent.

Who knows, maybe Brad Norton will get some PT for the Sharks, but I wouldn't expect him to be a regular on a 3rd or 4th line, night in and night out Defenseman13. I don't know if I can accurately say how he played, given how little time he got, but there was probably good reason in Babcock's mind not to play Norton.

I like this comment the best:

" sharomyga (4 months ago) Marked as spam

PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. You will get kissed on the nearest possible Friday by the love of your life. Tomorrow will be the best day of your life. However, if you don't post this comment to at least 3 videos, you will die within 2 days. Copy and paste this, to be saved "

lol.

Anyway, some people here have moaned, since Norton was let go, about why we didn't use him as 'our enforcer'; the unfortunate answer is that, because he loses every fight, nobody is afraid of him and thus he cannot serve as any sort of deterrent.

At least he's willing to drop the gloves and defend his teammates. It's important to let other teams know that if they want to push us around, they'll have to back it up. Also, the Wings losing early in the season had nothing to do with his presence in the lineup, unless you think that the Ellis, Hussey, Langfeld line was more productive.

Haha, that song for the Norton video is hilarious. Scatman. :D

Anyways, Norton is a pretty lame fighter in my opinion, and since he can't do anything else, I don't expect him to make the Sharks roster. Same goes for Brennan Evans, who has only played 2 NHL games so far (those being playoff games with Calgary during the 2003-2004 season) and isn't a very good player either.

Although, it can be said that Norton is better than Josh Langfeld, who in my opinion, was the most useless player to ever play for the Wings in quite a while. Talk about dead weight on the roster.

Guest Crymson

At least he's willing to drop the gloves and defend his teammates. It's important to let other teams know that if they want to push us around, they'll have to back it up. Also, the Wings losing early in the season had nothing to do with his presence in the lineup, unless you think that the Ellis, Hussey, Langfeld line was more productive.

Do you honestly feel that it was important for other teams to know that they'd have Norton's ass to kick if they decided to push us around? A player has to actually be a credible threat in order to be a deterrent.

Langfeld was useless; I won't lie about that. However, since Babs and Kenny decided to play him instead of Norton--insert some snide comment about how Kenny only wants weaklings on the ice here--I can only assume that Langfeld actually brought more to the ice than did Norton, which I must say is scary. In any event, none of the three of Hussey, Ellis and Langfeld, or Norton and Bootland for that matter, would have played if not for the consistent injury bug the team battled all season. When it came down to it, I'd rather have had Bootland than Norton--and I'd rather have had Ellis than any of the other four. However, he needed to clear waivers, so he was only called up once.

"We had a losing record when he was in the lineup."

Get your facts right, we were .500, i know its not special but i cant stand the euro allstars on here talking so bad about the only guy we've had in 2 years who knew and accepted his only job was to enforce. he isnt a "great" fighter but he isnt that bad at all, i mean it is hard to ask for a guys fighting ability from a detroit fan, half of them think lilja and franzen fill our toughness quota.

"We had a losing record when he was in the lineup."

Get your facts right, we were .500, i know its not special but i cant stand the euro allstars on here talking so bad about the only guy we've had in 2 years who knew and accepted his only job was to enforce. he isnt a "great" fighter but he isnt that bad at all, i mean it is hard to ask for a guys fighting ability from a detroit fan, half of them think lilja and franzen fill our toughness quota.

Here we go again with the enforcer debate. Why is everybody so anti-euro and pro North American? More stereotyping.

Guest Crymson

i mean it is hard to ask for a guys fighting ability from a detroit fan, half of them think lilja and franzen fill our toughness quota.

Ouch. You are clearly the prototypical Detroit Red Wings fan superman extraordinaire. Will you teach us what you know about being the perfect Wings fan, or are we just not genetically pure enough?

I remember Norton - I saw him fight in the preseason game against the Lightning. I also remember his hokey interview with FSN Detroit about how sometimes a fight is needed to stir up the team. Whatever...San Jose would have been better signing ED Norton instead - at least he might act like he belongs in the NHL.

If it means anything, Norton wasn't as bad a fighter as most people here peg him to be. He stood his own against the very large Raitas Ivanans, however his lack of skating abilities give him legendarily bad balance and he practically fell on his face. This is an all to common outcome to most of his fights really.

"Ouch. You are clearly the prototypical Detroit Red Wings fan superman extraordinaire. Will you teach us what you know about being the perfect Wings fan, or are we just not genetically pure enough?"

thank you for proving my point.

""Ouch. You are clearly the prototypical Detroit Red Wings fan superman extraordinaire. Will you teach us what you know about being the perfect Wings fan, or are we just not genetically pure enough?"

I love how loosely the term "stereotyping" is thrown around here. I am a devout liberal and the overuse "stereotyping" accusaions is even making me sick.

Guest jaytan

i mean it is hard to ask for a guys fighting ability from a detroit fan, half of them think lilja and franzen fill our toughness quota.

:blink: Ummm.... Lilja more than exceeds our toughness quota BY HIMSELF!

God, what are you, a racist?

Guest Crymson

"Ouch. You are clearly the prototypical Detroit Red Wings fan superman extraordinaire. Will you teach us what you know about being the perfect Wings fan, or are we just not genetically pure enough?"

""Ouch. You are clearly the prototypical Detroit Red Wings fan superman extraordinaire. Will you teach us what you know about being the perfect Wings fan, or are we just not genetically pure enough?"

I love how loosely the term "stereotyping" is thrown around here. I am a devout liberal and the overuse "stereotyping" accusaions is even making me sick.

I hope you someday find help for that repeatomania.