• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Blues aquire Hannu Toivonen from Bruins

Rate this topic

Not surprising that Toivonen left the Bruins, because their depth is unreal as well, but yes it is surprising that he went to the Blues.

What I saw of Hannu in Boston was not promising. Mind you the team in front of him wasn't exactly dominant.

He was exactly what Howard is supposed to be in Detroit, I hope J-ho is better.

Having said that I add this to Hannu's defense:

-He was rushed through the system due to poor team management (not wanting to spend money)

-Was up and down like a rollercoaster, and inevitably it was after one or two bad games, not just his but the teams bad games. That has to hurt his mindset, "I can't lose or I go down!"

-Boston Media expects winning teams and is almost as harsh with blame as LGW is.

-This could be a good move for him and bring him to where he was expected to go, but what I have seen is a mentally weak netminder.

Thanks but I have to say I didn't come up with it.

I think I heard Greg Moore refer to him as that after a game, or it might have been coach Whitehead! But I am almost positive it was a player.

Edit: that made it sound like I know either Greg Moore, Coach Whitehead, or Jimmy, I don't I was talking about hearing it on the local news station.

Edited by Opie

yup the kids got potential , i wouldnt of minded seeing us take a chance and trade for him , wouldnt of cost us nothing and besides howard all we have is larsson in sweden

Larsson's going to be a good goaltender , I wonder when he'll be going over to NA.

It's amazing how many lousy goalies they've had since Grant Fuhr left. Turek, Johnson, Lalime. And Chris Osgood didn't exactly turn out to be their savior either. Anyway, as a Wings fan, I hope that this signing doesn't work out well for them.

It's amazing how many lousy goalies they've had since Grant Fuhr left. Turek, Johnson, Lalime. And Chris Osgood didn't exactly turn out to be their savior either. Anyway, as a Wings fan, I hope that this signing doesn't work out well for them.

Turek was not a lousy goalie for in St. Louis.

In 2 seasons with the Blues, he compiled a 66-33-19 record which included 13 shutouts, and a 1.95 GAA and 2.28 GAA in those two seasons respectivily. He also had a .912 and .901 Save% in those 2 seasons, and currently holds the St. Louis Blues all time record for GAA with 2.10. In his first season, he also won the William M. Jennings Memorial Trophy for fewest goals against in the entire league, and that over a course of 67 games.

Turek was a great goalie for the Blues, and the trade to Calgary is one of the most lopsided trades I've ever seen. Fred Brathwaite was never a starting goalie in St. Louis, Daniel Tkaczuk (Keith Tkachuk's cousin) never played a single game for the Blues, and Sergei Varlamov is/was a career minor leaguer. The draft pick that the Blues got, Grant Jacobsen, never played a single NHL game to date.

While Turek was never steller in the playoffs for the Blues, that may be contributed the fact that he never had a reliable backup goalie. Still though, he was a great goalie in his 2 years in St. Louis.

yup the kids got potential , i wouldnt of minded seeing us take a chance and trade for him , wouldnt of cost us nothing and besides howard all we have is larsson in sweden

did we get rid of Liv while i wasn't looking?

Liv's back in Sweden.

Curtis Sanford was/is Reliable. They never gave him much of a chance and now he's in Vancouver.

Manny Legace is still Manny Legace.

Toivonen will be starting by Game 5, you watch.

Liv's back in Sweden.

Curtis Sanford was/is Reliable. They never gave him much of a chance and now he's in Vancouver.

Manny Legace is still Manny Legace.

Toivonen will be starting by Game 5, you watch.

I disagree. Legace played great last season while he wasn't injured.

23-15-5 with a 2.59 GAA and .907 SV% while on a team like St. Louis is phemononal. Legace will probably do good, will probably start the season off nicely, but the time he takes a break, Toivonen will probably do good and will start more than expected. It won't be Legace's failure that will turn Toivonen into the starter.

I disagree. Legace played great last season while he wasn't injured.

23-15-5 with a 2.59 GAA and .907 SV% while on a team like St. Louis is phemononal. Legace will probably do good, will probably start the season off nicely, but the time he takes a break, Toivonen will probably do good and will start more than expected. It won't be Legace's failure that will turn Toivonen into the starter.

yeah...Legace's great in the regular season, but is a playoff headcase.

the thing you have to consider about Toivonen, is that he was sent back down after the Bruins aquired Joey MacDonald last year...

and Joey Mac had much better numbers than him in his limited starts..

i'm not sure Toivonen's ever going to amount to anything...

yeah...Legace's great in the regular season, but is a playoff headcase.

Legace is not a playoff headcase.

The man played only one series which, unfortunately, was backbreaking for him and the Red Wings.

Let's not make him into Dan Cloutier, who had 4 playoff series to prove himself but was never able to live up to the expectations.

Believe me, Legace learned a valuable lesson in the Edmonton series.

He'll probably know how to prepare and to perform in the NHL playoffs.

Legace is not a playoff headcase.

The man played only one series which, unfortunately, was backbreaking for him and the Red Wings.

Let's not make him into Dan Cloutier, who had 4 playoff series to prove himself but was never able to live up to the expectations.

Believe me, Legace learned a valuable lesson in the Edmonton series.

He'll probably know how to prepare and to perform in the NHL playoffs.

Two playoff series, don't forget about the Nashville meltdown. Legace wasn't pulled in favor of Cujo because Cujo was 100% healthy, Legace couldn't do the job.

Two playoff series, don't forget about the Nashville meltdown. Legace wasn't pulled in favor of Cujo because Cujo was 100% healthy, Legace couldn't do the job.

He won two games, he lost two games in the Nashville series.

Granted, the 3-0 game was a bad one, but to call those 4 games a meltdown ?

He won two games, he lost two games in the Nashville series.

Granted, the 3-0 game was a bad one, but to call those 4 games a meltdown ?

No, the two games he lost in Nashville was the meltdown, you'd have to watch the games again he choked.

No, the two games he lost in Nashville was the meltdown, you'd have to watch the games again he choked.

Even if he choked (that's judgement call..) I just wanted to point out that calling Legace a PLAYOFF HEADCASE is little bit overdramatic.

He had some bad luck and maybe he choked here and there, but he isn't a consistent non-performer...

Even if he choked (that's judgement call..) I just wanted to point out that calling Legace a PLAYOFF HEADCASE is little bit overdramatic.

He had some bad luck and maybe he choked here and there, but he isn't a consistent non-performer...

Well he isn't a consistent perfomer either, he's closer to a non-performer, though.

Well he isn't a consistent perfomer either, he's closer to a non-performer, though.

IMO, he has never gotten the opportunity to show his (non-) consistency.

Which makes it kinda hard to judge him.

But if one would want to judge him on his past playoff performances... true, it's not that impressive...

(but I don't think we'll completely agree on this matter, Heaton..) :)

Getting 31 wins with a 91% save and a 2.24Gaa doesn't exactly equate to lousy in my book. As a goalie in St. Louis that is about the best you are going to put up numbers wise with the s*** they have playing in front of you.

As a goalie in St. Louis that is about the best you are going to put up numbers wise with the s*** they have playing in front of you.

For a franchise that holds the longest post season streak in any sport in the history of professional sports, I'd have to say that they're putting a little bit better than "s***" in front of you.

For a franchise that holds the longest post season streak in any sport in the history of professional sports, I'd have to say that they're putting a little bit better than "s***" in front of you.

Having over 1/2 the teams making the playoffs... that isn't hardly a feat as it is being made out to be. Medicoricy will get you into the playoffs... Doing something in the playoffs... now that is where the s*** shows its ugly turtle head.

Edited by OsGOD