• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StevieY9802

Oilers Tender Offer to Penner

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

If a player files for arbitration, other teams cannot tender an offer sheet.

But yeah, I agree with your points about locking up your bright, young players long-term before they become RFAs.

One thing for some of you people who dislike Lowe's tactics.... he had the ability to make an offer sheet for Penner. He stockpiled a lot of draft picks so giving up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Round pick for Penner is peanuts (unless the Oilers finish in the bottom 6 again!). Suppose no offer was made and Burke decided to deal Penner? What do you think Burke would want in return? Probably a 1st round pick and a 2nd or 3rd line forward at the very least. But with the Oilers tendering an offer sheet, they'll still give up a 1st rounder yet not lose anyone off their roster.

If you are worried this is open-season for GMs to raid young prospects from other teams just look at the compensation chart:

The compensation scale for signing restricted free agents is:

$773,442 or below, none;

$773,442-$1,171,882, third-round pick

$1,171,882-$2,343,765, second-round pick

$2,343,765-$3,515,647, first- and third-round picks

$3,515,647-$4,687,530, first-, second- and third-round picks

$4,687,530-$5,859,412, two first-, one second- and one third-round pick

$5,859,412-plus, four first-round picks.

So GMs with half a brain would know by the quality of their player what their market value will be in the next 2-4 years. If you have a 20 year old prospect who has not cracked the regular line-up then offer him a 1M/year two year deal. But if you have Jordan Staal then lock him up for 5 years at 3.75M/year.

And if for some reason your star, elite player becomes a RFA, how many teams would be willing to give up four 1st Round picks to snag him off your team?

p.s. I don't think we will see too many teams offering a 1st Round pick for a rental player (Guerin, Tkachuk) at the trade deadline anymore. Those 1st Round picks are more valuable to get an RFA.

Ahh yes, however people are forgetting one major thing here. The lure of the big money contract is what helps drive players to test free agency when they become unrestricted. The lure of that big money helped erode any sense of loyalty to the home team.

now what we've done with the RFA offer sheet is just sped up the time to which a player can search out that big money contract. Yes, GM's should lock up their players early. but why would those players want to be locked up early? Wouldn't their agents tell them to not sign, to get their RFA status and see if somebody will offer them 2x what their current team is offering? What's the incentive to sign early unless your team is going to overpay? And how often have we seen that so far? We don't. RFA's will start doing exactly what UFA's do because there really is no differnece anymore except compensation for the losing team. Does anybody think Vanek gives a rat's ass about what Edmonton would've given up to get him that Buffalo got screwed by having to match? Hell, no. He's ******* loving every minute of and he should. Just like him, Penner is gonna be sitting pretty now too.

If Bettman was the NHL's coffin-maker, then the RFA offer sheet is the final nail in that sucker.

As you state, one of my major dislikes about the RFA offer sheet is that because of our success we'll likely always be a target. Having a good team usually means having spent a fair amount of bank. I don't see us ever sitting in the oodles of cash, no talent pool like Edmonton. I see other teams salivating over our RFA's and us not really doing so. Maybe its Kenny's philsophy not to break the unwritten rule. Maybe he'll continue to do the right thing and sign our guys prior to any chance of them being plucked. That's all well and dandy and hopefully it stays that way but it doesn't change the fact that at this time the Wings don't seem to be a team that would benefit from the RFA craze. More than likely we'd be a team to suffer the loss of players before we would be the team sending out offer sheets.

I see it going the other way.

Drafted players I think will become more important in the future of a team if offer sheets becomes more common place. It will require GMs to actually negotiate with their RFAs as opposed to the way of FA were handled in the past. That way having been signing your UFAs, other teams UFA, and the "peanuts" that are left going to your RFAs.

So the way I see it is that teams will now have to take better care of their own in the future and not treat some of their players like they're leftovers. It should show better loyalty from a team by negotiating with their RFAs (Hudler/Filppula/Kindl) before July 1 instead of after the "big names" frenzy has happened.

Salaries are going to balance out. Sadly there is still going to be growing pains before it does, like when the ceiling stabilizes and overpaid players get spread around the league.

oh, and overpaying players seems to have worked out well for the Tigers. :thumbup:

Ahh yes, however people are forgetting one major thing here. The lure of the big money contract is what helps drive players to test free agency when they become unrestricted. The lure of that big money helped erode any sense of loyalty to the home team.

Wouldn't their agents tell them to not sign, to get their RFA status and see if somebody will offer them 2x what their current team is offering?

Fans = team loyalty

95% of players = j o b

Realistically Detroit has been blessed to have so many players play their entire (or almost) careers here. League average is closer to some thing like 2 to 4 players out of 20?

Agents can tell their clients what they feel is in their best interest. For instance Hasek's loyalty was to accept an offer below what his agent wanted him to take.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i dunno hockeycrazy burke is the type of gm i like. hes raw, i love em! the duckies are my second fave team now because of his style

Well we've got 10 minutes until the Ducks need to say what they are doing. Burke is really screwing with Lowe on this one. Waiting till the last minute to say what they are doing. Again if I'm the Ducks I let him walk.

It's pretty much a lose-lose for Burke, unless Penner becomes a washout in the next few seasons.

Otherwise he loses a big talented young player, or he overpays to keep that player.

i love it.

And if he overpays then Getzlaf and Perry will be like if he's worth 4.3mil what are we worth?

I think regardless of if Penner is with the Oil or the Duck, Perry and Getzlaf will want more money then him, unless they fall flat on their faces this year and he tears it up.

Now if they tear it up and he falls on his face they will look for massive money.

I think I mentioned it before in this thread the bigger area where Burke messed up was signing Bert to a deal worth 4mil a year and it being 2 years. So not only does it hurt them this year but next summer as well. After signing Schneider, which was a good signing even though he over paid, getting his own guys signed should have been his next big thing. And what if Selanne wants to come back and he can't. You are kicking him to the curb in favor of Bert? Burke doesn't make many bad choices in my mind in terms of managing his team. So I wonder what he was thinking.

Edited by StevieY9802

So what the f*** happened? Doesn't anybody update their s***ty websites anymore???

they'res been no release yet...

they had to make their decidion by 19:05 BST, not make it public