• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Mule to be a beast

Rate this topic

Guest jaytan

There's a difference between optimism and blind faith. Every kid Holland signs isn't going to be an all-star. I'm not trying to be overly negative or bash our players here, I'm just trying to stay grounded.

I think the Mule is more like a big Holmstrom, I guess I watched a different playoffs then most. Because he would not be knocked off the puck and he is good at instagating, look at the flames game. I believe he has great potential, once again though wings fans are a little bias

i would be surprised if mule didn't get 20 goals this year. it seems to me that he's been improving his game a LOT, particularly towards the end of last season. i don't think he'll ever be a first line all-star, but he scored some nice goals and i think has shown that he has good presence on the ice. it remains to be seen, of course, but i could really see him coming into his own this season and playing an important role on the team.

and, for the record, i'm not convinced that flip will become a "star," but i can't see him not being an impact player in the next three years. the kid's got great stuff. he's solid on PK, has scored some very zetterberg-esque goals, and, although not a physical presence, i don't see him getting knocked around the way some of our smaller players do. he might not be the next z, but if he continues to improve, i could see him scoring seventy points two seasons from now if he's a consistent fixture on one of the top two lines.

And then look at all the "Wings fans" that make blanket statements like these!!! Jesus, people have been bemoaning Kronwall and Kopecky ever since they made it into the lineup, and most people still expect Grigorenko to have a swing in the minors and then get minimum minutes. The only guy on that list that fits the bill is Filppula, who already proved he can cut it on the top line, play on the PK in the dying minutes of small leads, and has scored a few highlight reel goals.

As for Calder, hmm I wonder why people were shocked. Could it be that he was clipping along at nearly a point per game pace in his first 10 or so games with the Wings?

Ok, YoungGuns, you've got to admit that Kopecky is pretty useless. The other names I can agree was overblown on, but Kopecky is neither physical, nor provides any offense. He's a 1 inch taller version of Josh Langfeld in my opinion.

On topic: Franzen won't play on the 1st line, as that seems pretty unrealistic. I like Filppula on the 1st line more than I like Franzen there.

Guest Crymson

There's a difference between optimism and blind faith. Every kid Holland signs isn't going to be an all-star. I'm not trying to be overly negative or bash our players here, I'm just trying to stay grounded.

I fail to see what harm would come from not "staying grounded"; also, I lack understanding of how "staying grounded" benefits you.

"Staying grounded" is a synonym for 'defensive pessimism,' buddy.

Guest jaytan

No, it's just having a realistic viewpoint. I'm confident that the Wings will have a decent year (win the division, maybe get two or three rounds deep in the playoffs), but I'm not delusional about the squad this year.... Either way, I'll still be as pissed as I always am when we don't get the Cup.

No, it's just having a realistic viewpoint. I'm confident that the Wings will have a decent year (win the division, maybe get two or three rounds deep in the playoffs), but I'm not delusional about the squad this year.... Either way, I'll still be as pissed as I always am when we don't get the Cup.

Maybe you are being delusional, just in a pessimistic way. While I don't go into a season expecting to win the cup every year, I do have the optimism that comes with a new season getting underway.

I'd hate to think that you claim to be a fan yet think that we don't even have a chance at the cup before the season even starts.

Is there some kind of psychological term for people who call themselves 'fans' and yet viciously attack any voice of hope or optimism about team they root for?

I have a feeling that either Detroit or Lions is in there somewhere.

I think the Mule is more like a big Holmstrom, I guess I watched a different playoffs then most. Because he would not be knocked off the puck and he is good at instagating, look at the flames game. I believe he has great potential, once again though wings fans are a little bias

:clap: Definitely. It's fun to dream though!

I really do feel that we have 2/3 guys who

are going to be pushing for a roster spot out of camp this Sept, maybe some of the senior players aren't as safe as

they may think. Quincey, Kindl and Meech will all be pushing for the final D spot and I expect all 3 to see time in Detroit

next year.

Lets hope so! Didn't they say that Kindl was impressive and close to grabbing a roster spot already last year - he couldn't have gotten worse,so.... :thumbup:

Sammy's role is to be a conduit for Dats and Z to score through. To be honest, my real vitriol towards Sammy comes from the fact that he's given huge minutes with these guys (minutes better spent on promising young players like Filppula and Hudler) but doesn't seem to be a work in progress. He's just a 3rd/4th line player who is enhanced by the play of two incredible centres. That's all well in good, but not optimal. We need players who can allow Z and Dats to actually play to their full potential.

:clap:

Sammy's role is to be a conduit for Dats and Z to score through. To be honest, my real vitriol towards Sammy comes from the fact that he's given huge minutes with these guys (minutes better spent on promising young players like Filppula and Hudler) but doesn't seem to be a work in progress. He's just a 3rd/4th line player who is enhanced by the play of two incredible centres. That's all well in good, but not optimal. We need players who can allow Z and Dats to actually play to their full potential.

I try to take up for Samuelsson since he's usually one of the whipping boys in here. Is he a streaky scorer I think? Yes. Is he the #1 option to play the point on the PP? No, but with the injuries that mounted up, I think he held his own with that responsibility fairly well. He's never going to be the #1 scorer on the team, but I think he's found an identity with the Wings as decent 2nd/3rd liner who can be counted on for around 15 - 20 for a season if he's healthy. He has decent size and while he isn't going to strike fear in anybody physically, he isn't afraid to throw his body around when the situation presents itself.

As for Franzen, same type of player in terms of offensive production. Probably around 15 a year, and I think we're starting to see him develop a game similar to Draper or Maltby in their younger years here. If we're going to use the term 'unsung heroes' in the playoffs for the Wings this past season, Franzen would be one of them. He was really aggresive physically and was pretty dangerous offensively at times, especially the Calgary series.

Is there some kind of psychological term for sports fans' tendancity to expect more than they should from players who play for their favorite teams? Fan confirmation bias or something?

It seems like we always think some average player is going to be a star just because he wears the Winged Wheel and we watch him play dozens of times a year. Every time we see him do something good, we believe that he'll always play that way.

Of course, Toronto fans are the best example for this.

They are also the best example of "Lets trade our trash for your top players" Leafs Lunch leads the way in that dept.

They are also the best example of "Lets trade our trash for your top players" Leafs Lunch leads the way in that dept.

My favorite Leafs rumor: Antropov and 3rd round pick for Nathan Horton. That was actually going around at last years trade deadline.