• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitIan

Burke whining again.

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=214854&hubname=nhl

Burke really needs to keep his mouth shut. Im getting real sick of hearing Burke and his constant cry-baby tactics. I remember when he was with the Canucks, he had a total fit when Ryan Kesler got a nice offer sheet. It's part of the rules. He needs to start getting used to that. And if a team thinks Penner is worth over 4 mill, then thats how it is. Penner is an awesome talent, and he's young. There is no reason for Burke to be pissed, other than the fact that he's potentially losing a quality player. He should atleast admit thats why he's mad. Cause it's pretty obvious. This whole Penner story has done nothing but put a big smile on my face. :D With the exception of Burke's whiny ass of course.

Guest Crymson

Burke really needs to keep his mouth shut. Im getting real sick of hearing Burke and his constant cry-baby tactics. I remember when he was with the Canucks, he had a total fit when Ryan Kesler got a nice offer sheet. It's part of the rules. He needs to start getting used to that. And if a team thinks Penner is worth over 4 mill, then thats how it is. Penner is an awesome talent, and he's young. There is no reason for Burke to be pissed, other than the fact that he's potentially losing a quality player. He should atleast admit thats why he's mad. Cause it's pretty obvious. This whole Penner story has done nothing but put a big smile on my face. :D With the exception of Burke's whiny ass of course.

Burke whining? Gee, there's a f*ckin surprise. His argument? That Edmonton is "using" the rules in order to potentially interfere with Burke's signings. What a tool.

Burke whining? Gee, there's a f*ckin surprise. His argument? That Edmonton is "using" the rules in order to potentially interfere with Burke's signings. What a tool.

Wasn't Burke's very first b*tch-fest with the Ducks about how the Wings signed Babcock?

Oh well, sucks to be Anahiem, but Edmonton has every right to do this and there's really not much The Ducks can do.

I think these small market teams are finding out that the salary cap isn't what they thought it would be. Some of them are starting to lose a lot of money with the minimum, and others, like Anaheim, are hand cuffed by it.

I thought it was funny Burke mentioned the BC Hall of Fame and wondered why Lowe couldn't wait until Monday. As if Edmonton should stop everything their doing so Burke can get his plaque in the BC Hall. :lol:

Wasn't Burke's very first b*tch-fest with the Ducks about how the Wings signed Babcock?

Burke ******* so much it's hard to tell just exactly what he bitched about when.

I've never had any respect for Burke anyway. He ran a dirty team in Vancouver and he's turning Anaheim into just the same thing. Maybe if the stupid tool hadn't handcuffed his team by backing them up against the salary cap, he'd have room to re-sign Penner. Tough. Burke can shove it.

What really put Burke into this position is Scott Neidermayer's indecisiveness. You guys are acting as if Burke decided to go on a reckless spending spree. The Schneider and Bertuzzi signings were made to attempt to fill the void for Selanne and Neidermayer possibly retiring. If those guys retire and had Burke not signed them, then he'd be left with a bunch of cap room but with the current s***ty free agent pool to use it on....or should i say, waste it on.

His argument is that Lowe is doing this because hes "fighting for his job"??? Well, what the f*** do you want him to do?? Sit around and wait to get canned??

Burke called it "classless timing-wise." And Im sure Lowes sitting at home thinking it was moronic timing-wise for Burke to hold off on signing a premier RFA. what a ******.

What really put Burke into this position is Scott Neidermayer's indecisiveness. You guys are acting as if Burke decided to go on a reckless spending spree. The Schneider and Bertuzzi signings were made to attempt to fill the void for Selanne and Neidermayer possibly retiring. If those guys retire and had Burke not signed them, then he'd be left with a bunch of cap room but with the current s***ty free agent pool to use it on....or should i say, waste it on.

Please. What screwed Burke over was putting Bertuzzi ahead of Penner. He shouldve locked up Penner before throwing an overpaying 4M for 2 years at a guy who is as big a question mark as there is. Youve become a Burke apologist just because he puts brawn above all else.

Guest nutz2u

Grossly inflated? Absolutely, but so is what he signed Bert and Schneider for. s*** look at most of the signings this summer. Stupid absolutely stupid. Burke has got his *** in a wringer and you watch Philly and the Rangers are going to have the same situation in the next year or so. Personally I hope the Ducks don't match and this kid turns out to be another Lupul. As for Burke I hope The 3 picks he gets never get even get a sniff of the NHL.

His argument is that Lowe is doing this because hes "fighting for his job"??? Well, what the f*** do you want him to do?? Sit around and wait to get canned??

Burke called it "classless timing-wise." And Im sure Lowes sitting at home thinking it was moronic timing-wise for Burke to hold off on signing a premier RFA. what a ******.

Please. What screwed Burke over was putting Bertuzzi ahead of Penner. He shouldve locked up Penner before throwing an overpaying 4M for 2 years at a guy who is as big a question mark as there is. Youve become a Burke apologist just because he puts brawn above all else.

And how do we know what Penner was asking for from Anaheim? While I happen to think he's worth 4 mill, it mentions in the article the two sides havent been close. If Penner's out for the money, its kinda hard to get a deal done right away isnt it? Theres nothing wrong with the Bertuzzi signing, its the Schneider one that is effecting Penner. If Neidermayer never talks retirement, Matt is NOT signed. Bertuzzi, essentially, is replacing Selanne.

The real ball buster is that apparently the ownership wants him at 42 million

If they match, they will be over the cap and Burke has been told by ownership that he needs to be at $42million this season.

Source is Eklund So take it as you would like but that being the case this contract puts the DUcks 2 million over cap as is, and you can only go 5 million over (10%) before the need to trim by opening day...aka Burke is calling Scotty and saying make up your god d*** mind are you playing or not???

And even if the answer is yes he is retiring the Quackers are at 46 million and are 4 over the owners "cap" that Eklund claims exists, and have little to no shot of bringing Salami back....

OH HOW SWEET IT IS... :clap:

Looks to me that the cap may ensure our boys as the last Back to Back Stanley Cup Champs at the end of next season too...

And how do we know what Penner was asking for from Anaheim? While I happen to think he's worth 4 mill, it mentions in the article the two sides havent been close. If Penner's out for the money, its kinda hard to get a deal done right away isnt it? Theres nothing wrong with the Bertuzzi signing, its the Schneider one that is effecting Penner. If Neidermayer never talks retirement, Matt is NOT signed. Bertuzzi, essentially, is replacing Selanne.

See I beg to differ...Neidermayer claimed retirement, and then got cold feet, so the Schneids signing is important because if Neidermayer sticks to his guns they need a replacement, and if he backs out hell the ducks have the best D in the NHL...

BUT the Bertuzzi signing...4 million WITHOUT ANY of it as a performance bonus....that was a screw up...if they wanted the Tuz to replace Salami, they really should have done like 2 mill in base and an additional 2 million on games played and goals scored bonuses...now they have Bertuzzi for a GUARENTEED 4 million a year for this year and next regardless of how the back holds up and all their young stars are hitting the RFA market...Bertuzzi shouldnt have been 4 million without incentives and he shouldnt have been for 2 years...that was the mistake

Burke has nobody to blame but himself. He should have locked up Penner before he decided to pillage the Wings by signing Schneider and Bertuzzi.

Lou: why are you supporting Burke? Penner should have came first. That's how it works. You worry about your own RFA's before you go on a shopping spree with free agents.

Essentially, Penner could have replaced Selanne himself. Burke went out and overpayed Bertuzzi by a mile, and that's how he screwed himself. If he could just, for once, put his man love for Bertuzzi aside, he would have been fine.

The Ducks don't need Bertuzzi. Penner is a younger, better, and cheaper (well, was cheaper) version of Bertuzzi. Burke screwed himself again, and has nobody to blame but himself. He deserves what he get's anyways: he's always been a little whiny ***** to the media.

Burke called Edmonton's offer a gross overpayment so obviously Burke was hoping to get Penner signed for under 3m or so and now he's stuck.

Burke is acting like he was blindsided, all hockey fans were expeting Lowe to do this again, be it Penner or Parise or Cammalleri or whoever.

About 2-3 years ago Burke had an exchange on Hockey Night in Canada with a Toronto reporter named Al Strachan who had mentioned that Burke was trying to make a trade for someone (I forget who). It went something like this;

Burke:Don't listen to Al, his rumour record is poor.

Strachan:Just like your playoff record.

Of course with Burke winning the cup that comment isn't much now, but it was great at the time.

The hypocrisy of Burke is amusing. Complaining about overpaying for players, when he just did the exact same thing for Bertuzzi, and arguably Schneider.

Sorry Brian, maybe next time you should set your priorities when signing free agents. If Penner was so important, lock him up before you go out and overpay for other free agents. What goes around comes around.

I feel no sympathy for Burke or the Ducks. I will hope for the worst for them. :D

How are Niedermayer and Selanne different? Both have talked about retiring, neither have given their final answer. And if either of the two were more obvious, itd be Niedermayer. Besides, replacing a Dman is a lot more crucial than replacing a forward.

And you cant honestly tell me that Penner was looking for more than what Bertuzzi got. Burke let his infatuations get in the way of the facts - its a better bet to overpay Penner than it is to overpay Bertuzzi. With Penner, youve got 25 goals in the bank and a guy that still has the physical capabilities of using his size while with Bertuzzi youve got emotional baggage, injury concerns, and a guy who has been in and out of the game at best for nearly 3 years.

i don't think you guys see the big picture, it's not about the offer or trying to do it behind burke's back...it's the fact that he is getting a $3.7 mil raise...now you have to look at the rest of the league and the ripple effect it will have...now every other half assed defenseman with potential will ask for a significant raise just like penners....so the price of the players will go up jus t because some gm is getting desperate at keeping his job...

Burke called Edmonton's offer a gross overpayment so obviously Burke was hoping to get Penner signed for under 3m or so and now he's stuck.

Burke is acting like he was blindsided, all hockey fans were expeting Lowe to do this again, be it Penner or Parise or Cammalleri or whoever.

What I dont understand is...if Penner at 4M after scoring 25 goals on the season on a defense first team is "grossly overpaid"....what does that make Bertuzzi??

i don't think you guys see the big picture, it's not about the offer or trying to do it behind burke's back...it's the fact that he is getting a $3.7 mil raise...now you have to look at the rest of the league and the ripple effect it will have...now every other half assed defenseman with potential will ask for a significant raise just like penners....so the price of the players will go up jus t because some gm is getting desperate at keeping his job...

It already has. Kevin Lowe is just joining in on the overpaying fiasco. The whole free agency period has been marked by overpaying for players. Lowe isn't doing anything that the rest of the league didn't already do this summer, including Brian Burke.

Andrei Markov, Kimmo Timmonen, Scott Hartnell, Todd Bertuzzi, Thomas Vanek, and Sheldon Souray just to name a few. The point is GM's have to overpay to get players. The market dictates that right now. Tough luck for Burke.

a defenseman? Exactly what picture are you looking at?? Penner is a budding power forward with a 25 goal season already under his belt. A 3.7 mil raise? No. But easily a 2M raise on this market.

..and the ripple effect? How many GMs do you think can overpay for every player? Whats going to happen are the UFA and RFA prices are going to meet somewhere in the middle. GMs will know be mindful of locking up their RFAs early, even if that means conceding some money. And because of that, they will have less money to overpay for UFAs.

Looking at the bigger picture would be noting that in a cap world, it is impossible for every players salary to increase at a faster rate than the cap itself. Example - Burke wants to give Penner 1.8M, Penner wants 3.8M, so they agree to pay Penner 2.9M. Now, what do they offer Bertuzzi?? Still 4M?? No, they offer him 3M, maybe, and see if he bites. Now maybe Bertuzzi signs with Detroit at 4M, and lets pretend Flip is an RFA, then Detroit is going to risk losing Filppula to an offer sheet if their paying 4M to Bertuzzi puts them too close to the cap to give Flip a decent number. Therefore, Detroit thinks twice about the fact that they want to offer 4M to a guy whos potential has been reached, or maybe half that to a guy who could be better than Bertuzzi at some point in his contract.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Okay, so what if Kindl turns out to be a star and after a couple seasons he's putting up big numbers for a dman and he's making 500K and someone offers him 4.4 million per season. Are you going to sing the same tune? Burke admitted he understands the idea of utilizing the offer sheet, but face reality, 4.2 mil for a guy who had 45 points last season and was only making 450K? That's ******* absurd and that's what Burke said he thinks is wrong with this. He stated that it wasn't the offer sheet rather the ridiculous overpayment by Lowe.

Burke may be an ass and a whiner, but he proved everybody wrong by building a cup champ in how many years in Anaheim? And IMO, he is right and so is Darcy Regeir when they say the RFA offer sheet will not work and is only bad for the sport. I agree with them both 100%

Guest nutz2u

Getzlaf is the big cheese of the 3 young guys. I think they were trying to get Penner signed for alittle less than 2M so they could get Getzlaf for somewhere between 3M if he had another good year. They also have Perry and Kunitz that have to be resigned next season. Does anyone know anything about this Aaron Rome that's on their roster? His contract is up next season also. Kunitz had 25g 35a and a +23 his stats are as good as Getzlafs'. It was going to cost between 8 to 10M to sign those guys and they already had 37.5M commited for next year without Niedermayers 6.750M so I don't know how they thought he would be coming back.

ya everyone was expecting it but doesnt make it right ......sure lowe can do anything he wants but theres an unspoken rule about doing that stuff which why you rarely see it , again i wouldnt usually care but i started thinking what if grigorenko has good year next season and he decides to be a punk and go after him or/and filppula ???

i think we would be singing a different tune and we'd be complaining like burke is , if lowe came out next year and say offered grigoreko and filppula 3.5 per for 5 yrs , then we would have some problems ( not saying it will happen , but just something to think about )

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

lowe will get whats coming to him using the offersheet is classless the rest of the gms in the league hate em now

Okay, so what if Kindl turns out to be a star and after a couple seasons he's putting up big numbers for a dman and he's making 500K and someone offers him 4.4 million per season. Are you going to sing the same tune? Burke admitted he understands the idea of utilizing the offer sheet, but face reality, 4.2 mil for a guy who had 45 points last season and was only making 450K? That's ******* absurd and that's what Burke said he thinks is wrong with this. He stated that it wasn't the offer sheet rather the ridiculous overpayment by Lowe.

Burke may be an ass and a whiner, but he proved everybody wrong by building a cup champ in how many years in Anaheim? And IMO, he is right and so is Darcy Regeir when they say the RFA offer sheet will not work and is only bad for the sport. I agree with them both 100%

i agree with you 100 %