• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Midsummer report cards: Central Division

Rate this topic

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10270343

Detroit Red Wings

The Red Wings were the only team to give the Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks a serious run for their money during the playoffs, and might have won their series if not for a momentum-turning giveaway that cost them a pivotal overtime game.

There might have been some insult added to injury when Anaheim quickly signed two Red Wings players when free agency began, but Detroit moved quickly to fill those voids, while keeping the core of last season's impressive lineup together. The Red Wings replaced Mathieu Schneider with Brian Rafalski -- a defenseman similar in offensive mindset and four years younger -- and added Dallas Drake, who will provide some of the physical presence that trade deadline rental Todd Bertuzzi was unable to.

Detroit parted ways with veterans Robert Lang, Danny Markov and Kyle Calder, but re-signed ageless wonders Dominik Hasek and Chris Chelios along with one of its good young players, Jiri Hudler. Detroit still has some cap space so more moves before or during the season are possible. Grade: A-

And to think some people in here thought this offseason has been terrible or a failure so far. :rolleyes:

I thought that Forsberg was still on the Predators roster? Also, I can't believe that Kariya and Tkachuk would throw away any last chance of ever winning the cup by going to a dump like St. Louis.

Actually, St. Louis had the better record of the series against Detroit this past season, 4-3-1 I believe. And they finished right around .500 this past season, great for them considering they were in the sh**ter the year before. They have definitely improved their roster for the upcoming season. While it would be an incredible stretch to call them Cup contenders, I could see them contending for a lower playoff seed this upcoming season. If that happens, who knows then... (see Edmonton #8 seed 2 seasons ago)

Actually, St. Louis had the better record of the series against Detroit this past season, 4-3-1 I believe. And they finished right around .500 this past season, great for them considering they were in the sh**ter the year before. They have definitely improved their roster for the upcoming season. While it would be an incredible stretch to call them Cup contenders, I could see them contending for a lower playoff seed this upcoming season. If that happens, who knows then... (see Edmonton #8 seed 2 seasons ago)

I don't think that Edmonton would have gotten to the finals with Legace as their goalie, because they'd never have gotten past us.

Guest DetroitIan

Excellent article. Spot on. I agreed with every word. And the grades. Although he did say we lost Markov, and I was under the impression we were still possibly in the running for him. But other than that, I agree completely. I can't wait for this squad to show what they're made of. Red Wings hockey will once again be a force for 18th consecutive season. And I couldnt be more excited! :clap:

Excellent article. Spot on. I agreed with every word. And the grades. Although he did say we lost Markov, and I was under the impression we were still possibly in the running for him. But other than that, I agree completely. I can't wait for this squad to show what they're made of. Red Wings hockey will once again be a force for 18th consecutive season. And I couldnt be more excited! :clap:

I disagree. I like the article with the exception of Nashville's analysis:

Nashville Predators

So how do you ruin a good thing in just the blink of an eye? The Nashville Predators can offer some clues after spending the last few months taking apart a team that has been one of the league's elite since the lockout.

The work stoppage was supposed to save small-market teams like Nashville and it did allow them to become competitive. But for all its success on the ice, the Predators have been bleeding financially and are looking for a lifeline. So while the controversial sale efforts play out, Nashville has been dumping top players at every opportunity.

Gone since the season ended are All-Star goalie Tomas Vokoun, captain Timmo Kimonen, Paul Kariya, Peter Forsberg and Scott Hartnell, replaced on the roster by low-rent free agents like Radek Bonk, Jed Ortmeyer and Greg de Vries. There are still a group of good young defenseman, a competent goalie and a few scorers up front, but the changes are not a great tradeoff overall. Grade: F

Consider these items:

• Peter Forsberg's impact was pretty low given the team was an extremely good team pre-Forsberg.
  • Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell were not going to be re-signed. Poile was brilliant in obtaining our first round pick back instead of losing them for nothing. Hardly deserving of the F grade.
  • Hated to lose Vokoun, but given the situation, Poile again turned that into really good picks while still leaving the team in the trusted hands of Chris Mason.
  • Losing Kariya hurt, as we really wanted him to re-sign, but it was expected.

Now, let's put this into perspective- which is where I believe his analysis is off. The Predators should have been analyzed with the understanding that they are changing their style to a more defensive and gritty team and judged on how well they constructed that team. The fact that the style change was necessitated by achieving a lower overall salary has a much smaller impact beyond the trades I've noted above. If examined from that perspective, how did Poile do?

Poile has brought in Radek Bonk, Jed Ortmeyer, Greg DeVries, and Martin Gelinas. All of those players are strong defensive players as well as gritty. Last season, the Predators' two best penalty killers were David Legwand and Steve Sullivan. This season, they should both be able to become larger offensive threats and not be forced to expend too much energy killing penalties. Legwand had a breakout season last year with 27 goals even with the all the time on the penalty kill and hardly any time on the power play.

This will be Weber's second full season, as well as Radulov's. Radulov has finally earned the trust of his coaches (and it took the playoffs to do it) after only playing roughly 10 minutes a game last season. I expect both players to continue to get better.

Given the situation, I think Poile did a pretty decent job of providing the players to Trotz and his staff necessary for a successful style change (which is a style more suited to Trotz anyway). My grade: C+/B-

Thoughts?

David

Edited by drsingle

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10270343

And to think some people in here thought this offseason has been terrible or a failure so far. :rolleyes:

Well, most people here don't really have a rational or logical thought process, it's to be expected.

FEDEROVABSINTHLANGISLAZYANDSUCKSNORYANSMYTHWESUCK!!!

Oh, sorry, darn channeling...

that was a cool read, i think they were right on with the grading. Detroit hasn't had that bad of an off season.

Maybe its just me but i would love to see teams like the hawks and the blues to be good. how fun would it be to watch teams in our conference all battling for the playoffs.

Consider these items:

• Peter Forsberg's impact was pretty low given the team was an extremely good team pre-Forsberg.
  • Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell were not going to be re-signed. Poile was brilliant in obtaining our first round pick back instead of losing them for nothing. Hardly deserving of the F grade.
  • Hated to lose Vokoun, but given the situation, Poile again turned that into really good picks while still leaving the team in the trusted hands of Chris Mason.
Now, let's put this into perspective- which is where I believe his analysis is off. The Predators should have been analyzed with the understanding that they are changing their style to a more defensive and gritty team and judged on how well they constructed that team. The fact that the style change was necessitated by achieving a lower overall salary has a much smaller impact beyond the trades I've noted above. If examined from that perspective, how did Poile do?

Poile has brought in Radek Bonk, Jed Ortmeyer, Greg DeVries, and Martin Gelinas. All of those players are strong defensive players as well as gritty. Last season, the Predators' two best penalty killers were David Legwand and Steve Sullivan. This season, they should both be able to become larger offensive threats and not be forced to expend too much energy killing penalties. Legwand had a breakout season last year with 27 goals even with the all the time on the penalty kill and hardly any time on the power play.

This will be Weber's second full season, as well as Radulov's. Radulov has finally earned the trust of his coaches (and it took the playoffs to do it) after only playing roughly 10 minutes a game last season. I expect both players to continue to get better.

Given the situation, I think Poile did a pretty decent job of providing the players to Trotz and his staff necessary for a successful style change (which is a style more suited to Trotz anyway). My grade: C+/B-

Thoughts?

David

David,

I think his grading system is based on the team making improvements to its roster. Remember this is a reporter, some of them have less insight into the game than my tape dispenser on my desk.

Having said that he also probably should have been able to get Timmo Kimmonen's (hahahahahahahaha) name right.

Consider these items:

Thoughts?

David

Nashville will be horrible this year, they will be bought and moving out, but who really cares it's nashville.

For god sakes they play in the GAYLORD center, and the owner is a duechebag and they have very little fan support.

Oh and for the record keep your Gaylord support on your own forums cause i don't want to see that s***.

that's my thoughts PAL :angry:

Nashville will be horrible this year, they will be bought and moving out, but who really cares it's nashville.

For god sakes they play in the GAYLORD center, and the owner is a duechebag and they have very little fan support.

Oh and for the record keep your Gaylord support on your own forums cause i don't want to see that s***.

Here's my thoughts:

At this forum we respect the viewpoints of fans of opposing teams.

Drsingle is a well respected member of this forum, which unforunately cannot be said of you.

@drsingle

It's unfortunate that Nashville had to lower their budget so drastically, but I will admit that they've done a good job getting compensation for their players. I think the article however is only focusing on a team's ability to win next year, rather than any rebuilding strategy they've been using.

David,

I think his grading system is based on the team making improvements to its roster. Remember this is a reporter, some of them have less insight into the game than my tape dispenser on my desk.

Having said that he also probably should have been able to get Timmo Kimmonen's (hahahahahahahaha) name right.

Ya think? :lol::lol:

The Predators play in the Sommet Center. The Sommet Group bought the naming rights in May 2007. As for the rest of your poorly worded and pathetic post...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for playing.

Edited to add: All that said, please keep this topic on track. SouthernWingsFan deserves that respect. Thanks.

@drsingle

It's unfortunate that Nashville had to lower their budget so drastically, but I will admit that they've done a good job getting compensation for their players. I think the article however is only focusing on a team's ability to win next year, rather than any rebuilding strategy they've been using.

I actually think this team is better suited to Barry Trotz. I don't think they will win the division, but I like their chances of keeping both St. Louis and Chicago at bay for second. I think they make the playoffs, although it could be as low as 8th seed just looking at how closely packed last season's teams were point-wise.

They will probably not be as explosive (barring huge steps forward by Radulov, Legwand, etc.), but they should be a more solid team (not allowing so many shots, etc.) that is more in Trotz's comfort level of coaching.

Thanks.

Edited by drsingle