No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HomeNugget

Joakim Andersson

Rate this topic

found another article about this kid.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/11/jo...tarring_in.html

a little blurb about him from red wings central:

While he’s playing at Sweden’s second level, it’s the seasoning he’ll need to play in the Swedish Elite League next season. Andersson’s offensive totals and faceoff success are outstanding for his age in a tough league.

and a small profile and stats from:

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4087〈=en

Joakim Andersson made his SEL debut last night, playing 4:01 and registering one shot on net against Färjestad, Frölunda's archrival.

He started the game on the bench as an extra forward (you're allowed to dress 20 skaters in IIHF hockey), but was put on the fourth line in the third period. However, he was immediately promoted to the second line after a couple of pretty impressive shifts. Tomorrow, versus Södertälje, he'll be starting the game on the second line.

Edited by Systemfel

Joakim Andersson was back in the Frölunda lineup Saturday at home versus Djurgården. He centered the fourth line registering 6:52 of ice time and 1 shot on goal. He was -1. Djurgården goalie Daniel Larsson turned aside 34 of Frölunda's 35 shots on goal, but lost his shutout with just 3:24 left.

It's probably safe to say Andersson will be getting a lot more ice time the next few games, since Frölunda lost both center Martin Plüss, second in goals on the team, and right wing Magnus Kahnberg, third in points, to injuries in the 1-1 tie against Djurgården.

Edited by Systemfel

It's probably safe to say Andersson will be getting a lot more ice time the next few games, since Frölunda lost both center Martin Plüss, second in goals on the team, and right wing Magnus Kahnberg, third in points, to injuries in the 1-1 tie against Djurgården.
Both of the injured guys were back pretty quick, so Andersson didn't until yesterday when the team gave some of the top players a rest.

Joakim Andersson was put on the first line in place of Captain Jonas Johnson, and played a solid two-way game. Even got a few minutes on the PK. Andersson registered an ice time of 11:29 in the 5-4 away win versus MoDo.

Also, it was announced today that Andersson has signed a one-year contract extension with Frölunda.

Edited by Systemfel

Looks like Jocke won't be crossing the pond this summer, after all. Apparently, he has one more year left on his Frölunda contract, and he says he'd like to stay another TWO years in Sweden.

http://hockeysverige.se/news_show_helst_tv...html?id=6513337

I'm sure the news took all Frölunda fans by surprise, everyone expected him to leave since the team already has a ton of centers on the roster for next year, including four very good SEL vets and 2008 Caps first-round pick, Anton Gustafsson.

His agents are trying to work something out so that the Wings don't lost the rights to him.

Edited by Systemfel

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/200...1_RWCReport.php

"I see him as a very good third-liner," Hakan Andersson said. "He's got the hockey sense to be even better than that. But the thing that holds him back a bit is his overall speed. He's a big body and he's very hard to play against."

Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill once compared Joakim Andersson to Sammy Pahlsson, but Hakan Andersson sees similarities closer to home.

"I compare him to (Valterri) Filppula, other than the speed," Hakan Andersson said. "A really good all-around player like Filppula but he's not as fast."

I was kind of hoping that he'd be more like Pahlsson in terms of physical play. But it's good the Wings are sky high on him.

From their first prospects tournament game 9/11 in which the Wings won 6 to 1.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/red_wings_prospect_tournament_win_lopsided_in_more_ways_than_one/

Joakim Andersson was a remarkably pleasant surprise. He’s supposed to be Mr. Heavyfoot, and the image most Wings fans have of him is the picture taken right after he was drafted, skinny, gangly, looking like an 18-year-old kid. The player the Wings brought over from Sweden is a big, strong, near-fully-developed man whose body finally fills out his listed 6’2,” 205-lb status, with maybe half an inch and a few pounds more--and he’s played for the Frolunda Indians in the Eliteserien, a perennial contender, as their regular shut-down center. You can see that he may be 21, but he’s played in a men’s league with players who have a decade on him, if not, in some instances, are old enough to be his father, and he understands what it takes to play two-way hockey. In fact, he’s a pretty solid playmaker, wins most of his faceoffs, and needs to shoot more, because his shot is heavy and hard. I’ve only watched him play for two days, but at least among his fellow prospects, he stands out.

http://redwingscentral.com/stories/2010_09/14_Andersson.php

Andersson going on the offensive

Joakim Andersson is hoping to prove he can contribute offensively.

Andersson, a Swedish center expected to embark on his American Hockey League rookie year with the Grand Rapids Griffins, is known for his strong defensive game but has not yet produced offense beyond the junior level.

He has toiled on the third and fourth lines in the Swedish Elite League for the past few seasons.

"I hope I get an opportunity to play on the top two lines and maybe the power play," Andersson said. "I did play there some last year and I played pretty well. When I (have had the chance) to play on the top two lines, I have produced some points."

Andersson saw his role diminished last season when Frolunda unexpectedly signed hard-hitting NHLer Joel Lunqvist. The move knocked Andersson down the depth chart and limited his ice time.

"Some games I didn't play that much, but some games I played a lot," he said. "If it was up to me, of course, I would have played a little bit more and play more on the offensive lines."

The 6-foot-2 205-pounder collected six goals and 12 assists in 55 games last season and signed a three-year entry-level contract in June.

He's started his adjustment to North American hockey at the NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City this week.

"It's a different kind of hockey," Andersson said. "It's a smaller rink and you have to be quicker in your head. I am trying to make decisions quicker, but I have to learn a bit more."

Through two games with the Red Wings, Andersson is seeing plenty of ice time, centering the top line between Tomas Tatar and Willie Coetzee. He has no points but is a plus-1 with seven shots on goal.

"It's fun to get into the hockey here," he said. "I have just been trying to play smart hockey and work hard. I have a pretty good passing game and I try to play good two-way hockey."

The 22-year-old has some familiarity with the AHL already — he had a goal and three assists in a 11 games with Grand Rapids in 2008-09 while on an amateur tryout contract.

Although he is the lone Swede on the prospects tournament roster, he'll have company once the main camp starts later this week and his Red Wings' compatriots arrive.

"I am excited to play with the Red Wings and maybe speak some Swedish again," he said. "Right now I am just learning from the guys here and learning about the organization. It's been fun."

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/red_wings_prospects_conclude_tournament_with_a_loss_prepare_for_main_camp/

62 Joakim Andersson: The big Swedish centre started to look more like a prospect as the tournament proceeded, exhibiting some very hard corners to his game in terms of its professional fit and finish, but at the same time, Andersson’s not the Mr. Heavyfoot the Wings drafted, and after playing for two seasons with the SEL’s Frolunda Indians, he looks and plays like a big man who excels as a two-way forward. He’s very responsible defensively and wins the vast majority of his faceoffs.