• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

I kind of hope that Jocke becomes the new Holmstrom.

I know they think he can be a very good third line center but the Wings need a prospect as tough and has good hockey sense like Holmstrom.

#22 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

http://redwingscentr...4_Andersson.php

Andersson going on the offensive

Joakim Andersson is hoping to prove he can contribute offensively.

Andersson, a Swedish center expected to embark on his American Hockey League rookie year with the Grand Rapids Griffins, is known for his strong defensive game but has not yet produced offense beyond the junior level.

He has toiled on the third and fourth lines in the Swedish Elite League for the past few seasons.

"I hope I get an opportunity to play on the top two lines and maybe the power play," Andersson said. "I did play there some last year and I played pretty well. When I (have had the chance) to play on the top two lines, I have produced some points."

Andersson saw his role diminished last season when Frolunda unexpectedly signed hard-hitting NHLer Joel Lunqvist. The move knocked Andersson down the depth chart and limited his ice time.

"Some games I didn't play that much, but some games I played a lot," he said. "If it was up to me, of course, I would have played a little bit more and play more on the offensive lines."

The 6-foot-2 205-pounder collected six goals and 12 assists in 55 games last season and signed a three-year entry-level contract in June.

He's started his adjustment to North American hockey at the NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City this week.

"It's a different kind of hockey," Andersson said. "It's a smaller rink and you have to be quicker in your head. I am trying to make decisions quicker, but I have to learn a bit more."

Through two games with the Red Wings, Andersson is seeing plenty of ice time, centering the top line between Tomas Tatar and Willie Coetzee. He has no points but is a plus-1 with seven shots on goal.

"It's fun to get into the hockey here," he said. "I have just been trying to play smart hockey and work hard. I have a pretty good passing game and I try to play good two-way hockey."

The 22-year-old has some familiarity with the AHL already ó he had a goal and three assists in a 11 games with Grand Rapids in 2008-09 while on an amateur tryout contract.

Although he is the lone Swede on the prospects tournament roster, he'll have company once the main camp starts later this week and his Red Wings' compatriots arrive.

"I am excited to play with the Red Wings and maybe speak some Swedish again," he said. "Right now I am just learning from the guys here and learning about the organization. It's been fun."

#23 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

http://www.kuklaskor..._for_main_camp/

62 Joakim Andersson: The big Swedish centre started to look more like a prospect as the tournament proceeded, exhibiting some very hard corners to his game in terms of its professional fit and finish, but at the same time, Anderssonís not the Mr. Heavyfoot the Wings drafted, and after playing for two seasons with the SELís Frolunda Indians, he looks and plays like a big man who excels as a two-way forward. Heís very responsible defensively and wins the vast majority of his faceoffs.