• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

The Russian Five

Rate this topic

The Russian Five

Great blog about how The Russian Five changed the NHL for players not only from Russia, but globally as well. As good as the Swedish Five were a couple seasons back, they cannot hold a candle to the dominance and instinct that the Russian Five had playing with each other. Each one knew exactly what the other 4 were thinking when they were on the ice. Really brings back some great memories.

Watching this tandem on t.v. was always amazing, but when I got to see them on the ice for the first time>>>>>>>>

It blew my mind! The swedish five should never be mentioned in the same context. Collectively, the 5 of them were like no cohesive line hockey has ever seen. Even with all the talent that we had in 2002, nothing could compare!

Makes me sad to think of Vladdy :(

The Beauty of those 5 is the fact that because Detroit did that, it will never happen again.

Those five were plucked very delicately by the wings and put together, with one purpose, destroy the competition and win.

Now that the rest of the League saw this you will never get it again. Otherwise the Detroit Swedish 5 would have included guys like Forsberg from the start.

The Wings were lucky and very smart to put these guys together.

Guest jaytan

On the flip side of the coin, they changed the way people see Detroit hockey for the worse.

Wow amazing post, and was one of the best lines in history. I always remember when I heard about the limo crash, one of the most devastating accidents. The way the red wings have gone on and made Konstantinov part of their family is an amazing story. Pure class from top to bottom of that organization.

^from a Leafs fan

The Russian 5, pretty much the best there ever was.

Wow, man! I'm so jealous. That picture is awesome :clap: )))

Thanks! Both were actually wedding presents from Sergei Fedorov via his publicist as he was in Russia and not able to make it back in time... So all in all it pays to invite some celebs to your wedding :lol:

That is my most favorite memorablia that I have in my posession right now.

On the flip side of the coin, they changed the way people see Detroit hockey for the worse.

Only for jack-asses and bigots. Don't see why there ALWAYS has to be a flip side. Yeah all that skill, speed, passing, shooting, and tough rugged Dmen on one 5 man unit sure is s***ty.

I think the original posters point was that society's view of the wings changed for taking all of these russians in the heat of cold war. Not anything more.

Damn people get touchy on these boards.

I think the original posters point was that society's view of the wings changed for taking all of these russians in the heat of cold war. Not anything more.

Damn people get touchy on these boards.

Actually I think the original poster made his point well with his first sentance. "Great blog about how The Russian Five changed the NHL for players not only from Russia, but globally as well."- WL91

Heat of the cold war? Mid 50's to early 70's? Cold war was all but over in '88 and Soviet Union completly dissolved by '91. But besides that, why would the hockey world care anyway. Obviously those guys liked what they saw over here better, no? I don't think you'll see a hammer and sickle flag flying outside Kozlov's house.

People just state there opinon as fact, not taking actual history into account, along with an understanding of what was gone through and overcome to get to the position certain players were/are in.

*never have been able to spell very well*

Edited by bringback91

First off do not confuse my meaning of Heat of cold war with the height of cold war. When the Russians came over, the US as a society was very anti-russian, and still under the impression that they (not the players themselves) were a major threat to "our way of life."

I know what you're thinking, the US society hold a grudge against a country long after it's demise has started, never!!!!!

So my point being that this post

Which you reacted to, was just to point out that American society would have looked upon the Wings differently because of the nationality of the players.

First off do not confuse my meaning of Heat of cold war with the height of cold war. When the Russians came over, the US as a society was very anti-russian, and still under the impression that they (not the players themselves) were a major threat to "our way of life."

I know what you're thinking, the US society hold a grudge against a country long after it's demise has started, never!!!!!

So my point being that this post

Which you reacted to, was just to point out that American society would have looked upon the Wings differently because of the nationality of the players.

Ah, I see. Apologize for mis-interpeting your post. Suppose that jaytan's post could have experssed some peoples opinions, but as I've stated I believe those to be the opinions of jack-asses and bigots. Not getting touchy, just expressing my opinion freely as those above mentioned who thought worse of the Wings for taking these guys. I mean, really it wasn't something they had a choice in, unlike this great country we (well me, I assume you as well) get to live in.

Personally the first time I watched a Russian team I was awe struck with their skills. Anybody remember the series between Russia and Canada? Heres a link - http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/story/ru20vek.htm - I have always had the greatest admiration for Russian players and still do. The Russian Five in Detroit was a glorious time.

Guest LivingtheDream

This pseudo socio-political commentary here is poorly thought out and frankly just about pointless. The Russian Five were one of the most amazing things in hockey and made the Wings the powerhouse team they were in the 90s. It was just insanely great hockey with skill galore and grit to spare all wrapped up in one incredibly unique line.

Anyone read "Blood Feud"? There is a comment there by Vernon about how when the R5 were out he felt he could have gone out for pizza and when he got back they would still have the puck. He said it was insane.

lol im still mad i cant find all my old cards they passed out in the detroit new durin playoff time...my fav one was just that russian 5 one and the grind line

great great memories

I know how you feel. I kept all of those cards. I was just a little kid when they sent those in the newspaper so those were pretty much my most prized posessions and every Wednesday I looked forward to getting a new one. And then the day came when my mom found them all under my bed, assumed they were garbage and threw them all out. This includes Stevie lifting the cup in 97, Vladdy on the ice, the team picture from 97, and other great moments. Probably the most angry I have ever been in my life. But I still have the ones from 2000 till they stopped sending them, but it's not the same.