• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BigTex

Today is the day for Avery

Rate this topic

If Sather was so set on only giving Avery 1.3M, then we should hand Sammy off to the Rags for Avery. They'll likely produce similarly and while Avery IS the more complete player, hell probably cost twice as much as Sammy, so we could do it straight up, or add a pick.

He is a bit of a mystery. But many people here think he is what we are missing. A physical player who fights.

I will say this, if he can be had for under $2.5 mil, sign him; but any more...

I did like him the first time around. I liked that he was a douchebag the same way I like that Maltby is a douchebag and Chelios is a douchebag and Hasek is a douchebag. Other teams HATE douchebags and pay more attention to them when they should be worried about Datsyuk and Zetterberg flying up the middle of the ice.

I agree, douchebags are only douchebags until they play for you, because they are usually good at taking people off their game without getting penalized, hence why we hate them.

Its like the old saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Well an ounce of annoyance is worth a pound of distraction, distraction can be priceless when someone forgets to cover Z for a second and he's already behind them on a break. And guys like Avery can provide alot more than an ounce of annoyance. Guys like that have people so pissed off they forget where the hell they are, let alone their their game plan. Thats not to say some agitators aren't capable of being goal scorers but they are alot better at creating a better scoring environment for our big guns.

Think of them as psychological set up men, they might not get an assist on the scoresheet but they can cause so much distraction they might as well. Now thats not saying I'd run out and throw 3-4 million at Avery with hugs and kisses, but he would definitely be a plus for the right price.

Not tagging anyone in this thread with this, but I have to say it:

$.5 mil for Drake was a horrible signing and did nothing to meet the needs of the team, however giving Avery a whopping overpayment of $4 mil would some how help this team.

I must be thinking of the wrong Sean Avery.

Not the foul mouthed always in the news paper trashing people and saying dumb s***, Sean Avery?

Edited by Opie

My guess is that Avery has a sour taste in his mouth over Detroit. He got a lot more publicity as soon as he got shipped out. He wasn't taken too seriously here. For example, I remember when he wanted to be nick-named "Pitbull", everyone thought it was stupid, and called him "Puppy" instead. I recall him being rather unamused. No one really underestimated his pitbull-ish style when he arrived in LA.

This was back when we had Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Shanny, and a bunch of other grizzled vets who wouldn't care about having much tact while putting him in his place. Who knows, he could fit in better now. Whether he would or not, I doubt he'd want to come back to the organization.

For example, I remember when he wanted to be nick-named "Pitbull", everyone thought it was stupid, and called him "Puppy" instead. I recall him being rather unamused. No one really underestimated his pitbull-ish style when he arrived in LA.

Anyone who makes up their own nickname deserves to get a bad one. See "George Costanza", "T-bone"

Guest GordieSid&Ted

$.5 mil for Drake was a horrible signing and did nothing to meet the needs of the team, however giving Avery a whopping overpayment of $4 mil would some how help this team.

Not the foul mouthed always in the news paper trashing people and saying dumb s***, Sean Avery?

If i'm reading this correctly, I agree. I love the Drake signing. However, Avery would be nice but only at a fair price and frankly, the market is so f-ed up "fair price" doesn't exist.

Anyone who makes up their own nickname deserves to get a bad one. See "George Costanza", "T-bone"

I love people who give themselves some arbitrary nickname. They call me Viper, oh really why is that. Because that is what I tell them to call me. OK your new nickname is toolbag!!!

I'd hate to think that we would use all of our remaining cap room to sign this guy. Then again, he is dating a hot actress, so I wouldn't mind seeing her around the Joe. Things just haven't been the same without Kournikova sitting in the press box.

Avery knows exactly what he's doing. He's a so called 'punk' because he is effective in the role of being one. He knows how to take someone off their game, and he knows how to agitate. Besides all that he's been a completely different player since his first stint with the Wings. He's played much smarter, is very good on the PK, and can put the puck in the net. He makes a difference and in the end that's all that should matter.

Definitely was on good terms. I remember they were taping the documentary "The Season" for the Wings while the trade went down. Holland kept trying to keep Avery out of the deal, but the Kings kept pushing that if Aves isn't included then a deal wouldn't be made. I remember they even showed Holland calling up Sean and sort of apologizing to him. You can tell Aves was completely bummed, but Kenny and him were on good terms.

My recollection was that his punk a** would pick at people until they were ready to fight, and he'd turtle. If he's going to be a punk, he needs to be able to put up when the time comes. I have no respect for the guy.

I just went cruising youtube for Avery fights.

Man that was enough to make me puke. I forget what a POS this guy is.

Opie's Exhibit one:

TURTLE.

I was going to keep giving you examples, but seriously there were maybe three fights and none of them were that impressive.

This guy doesn't fight, well unless you consider squaring off with a guy and ducking and tackling until the refs break it up a fight.

I love how the rags fans cheer because after getting hit in the face 4 times he drags the other player to the ice.

Where the hell do you come off thinking Avery is gonna get 4 million?? Comrie got 3.3 with nearly the same amount of points in 20 fewer games. Ryder just signed for 2.95 after a 30 goal season. Arnason who had 1 more point than Avery re-upped for 1.6M.

I love how people think Dustin Penner is now going to be used as the standard. He is the exception to the rule. Avery will be lucky if he gets 3M, and the 2.6 he was asking from Sather is probably most likely.

He'll go through arbitration, get a 1 year deal, then probably walk next year during free agency.

I would love to have Avery, but to have any chance of getting him, we'd have to wait a year. I don't see New York just letting him get away now.

Guest DetroitIan

*crosses fingers*

oddly enough..last night I had a dream Avery was a Wing again. Oh how I want that dream to come true! If it doesn't work out with the Rangers and he somehow makes it back here, everything I said about this offseason being a boring one for the Wings will all be taken back.

I sure hope you're psychic. Cause I would be jumping up and down if we snagged Aves. :thumbup:

I think I got it. We sign Avery and create an agitator cocktail including Drake, Maltby, Draper, Chelios and the gang. Then we trade the agitator cocktail for a top 6 forward or two!! Whoo!

I think I got it. We sign Avery and create an agitator cocktail including Drake, Maltby, Draper, Chelios and the gang. Then we trade the agitator cocktail for a top 6 forward or two!! Whoo!

I've never really thought of Draper as being in the same boat as those other players you mentioned, although I know that opposing fans often dislike him.

I remember when the trade happened they were talking to Avery on the phone on The Score and he was like crying that he had to leave so he could either really want to come back or be mad that they made him nearly cry.

I would love to have Avery on the team again. Sather was publicly harsh on him leading up to the arbitration today. Avery had an amicable exit from Detroit. We could use a guy like him on the team, and we have the room to sign him. Looks like this may be feasible.

How much are we thinking he is going to be coming here? I mean 4 million for Aves.... I think NOT! That is HUGE overpayment for his style of play.

I would rather use the 4 million and take a risk on forsberg. Drake will already agitate and score for his $550,000.00