• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
scotzman

Bert a Bust?

Rate this topic

I think for the amount they paid him, they should have just concentrted on keeping Penner. He is to much risk to take for 4 mill/year when he hasn't played that much hockey in the last couple years.

My question is why was Burke so willing to spend that money on Bertuzzi and laughed when Lowe offered the same amount to a younger player who put up better stats and played more games last season!

Burke has been in Cali too long and is starting to get mixed up with DRUGS I think.

If Todd Bertuzzi of the past year is worth 4 mil Penner is worth at least that, and next year Spezza and Heatley will each be worth 100 Million Dollars. (Say with the DR. Evil voice)

Not only do i think he has man love for bert, but i think, and i'm being serious, that some of the reason that has to do with him signing schneids and bert from us is because he absolutely hates us. It dates back in 2002 when he whined, bitched and moaned about the red wings being dirty. The he hated us even more when we took babcock from him. But now that he beat us in the CF and won the cup, he's so arrogant he probably feels untouchable and went and signed our leftovers. In a perfect world, Selanne comes back for another season but signs with the wings and scores the OT series winning goal on a Scneider give away in front of the net.

Not only do i think he has man love for bert, but i think, and i'm being serious, that some of the reason that has to do with him signing schneids and bert from us is because he absolutely hates us. It dates back in 2002 when he whined, bitched and moaned about the red wings being dirty. The he hated us even more when we took babcock from him. But now that he beat us in the CF and won the cup, he's so arrogant he probably feels untouchable and went and signed our leftovers. In a perfect world, Selanne comes back for another season but signs with the wings and scores the OT series winning goal on a Scneider give away in front of the net.

I agree that Burke hates Detroit, but we didn't take Babcock from him...he wouldn't give Babs a decent contract offer so he left...I'd really like to see them sign Selanne though...but this group we have is good...and who knows who will be available at the deadline...there could be some real deals out there

Guest Crymson

A bust? Let's hope so!

It is certainly true that his emotional baggage will be a constant weight on his shoulders.

...don't be fooled, Burke signed our two guys to spite Ken Holland. Burke, while all the time whining about other GM's medeling and dirty doings, he is the biggest back stabber and under shoveling idiot. He is the Jeff Gordon & Jimmy Johnson of the NHL, if you cause the wreck, it's just hard racing, if someone wrecks you, they are idiots...

...Bottom line is, sure he signed Bertuzzi for $4MM but look he lost a huge future asset in Penner (if he doesn't match.) Bertuzzi will probably play very little this season, and Schneider, without Lidstrom's support, will not be as good. Sure, Scheid's is still a top 10 defenseman in the league, but playing with Pronger is not the same as playing with Lidstrom. Too much will be placed on the shoulders of Schneider and he will fall short of the fans expectations, ala Sergei Fedorov...

...that is fine, they actually made some latteral moves and we kinda upgraded with Rafalski. I can't imagine Drake doing much worse than Bertuzzi last season also. So if they get Bertuzzi & Schneider but lose Neidermayer & Penner, pretty much they didn't make their club any better. We never really had Bertuzzi and we had a small upgrade (although I really liked Mathieu) in Rafalski, I would say Burkes plan to make his biggest threat in the West weaker, failed...

I agree that Burke hates Detroit, but we didn't take Babcock from him...he wouldn't give Babs a decent contract offer so he left...I'd really like to see them sign Selanne though...but this group we have is good...and who knows who will be available at the deadline...there could be some real deals out there

...just like he was going to offer Penner a crap contract until someone else pulled the rug out from his feet. And you're right, there wil be lots of players available at the deadline, not just Fedorov, but a ton of younger forwards all of whom become UFA's next season...

...it'd be funny to sign Selanne and actually take a player from him and actually upgrade while he loses. The way I see it, if we could get Selanne or Forsberg on cheap incentive contracts, they'd be worth a gamble, for 1 year...

...just like he was going to offer Penner a crap contract until someone else pulled the rug out from his feet. And you're right, there wil be lots of players available at the deadline, not just Fedorov, but a ton of younger forwards all of whom become UFA's next season...

...it'd be funny to sign Selanne and actually take a player from him and actually upgrade while he loses. The way I see it, if we could get Selanne or Forsberg on cheap incentive contracts, they'd be worth a gamble, for 1 year...

I'd love to have Selanne here for a year, maybe even two. But it seems extremely unlikely.

He's old, but he's got the size, speed and scoring Detroit could use on the wing. Selanne with either Z or Dats would be a sight to behold.

Burke is a tool...

I really think the idea of the Bert of old is what myself and others had hoped for while he was in Detroit. Burke just wanted to stick it to us. Great job on that one... Bert will most likely be a fraction of whom he was with the Ducks too.

I was nodding my head emphatically when I was reading this article earlier in the day. Especially with Calder. How long have I been saying this...he hasn't been anything special to any team except for Chicago and we all know that their level of play is somewhat below par. I was SHOCKED, literally shocked that he signed for as much as he did. Do teams have scouts anymore? Or even film??

Anyway, as for Bertuzzi, I think that Anaheim definitely overpaid for him as he is now. He hasn't played much and is still a bit injury-prone. It's insanity to pay that much for a guy who's not even a sure thing. However, he was my igning last season (I was pushing for it since the beginning of the season) and I was sad to see him go. I think that if he would have had a little more time in a Red Wings uniform, he would have found his niche. But that's all water under the bridge now.

I can't imagine Drake doing much worse than Bertuzzi last season also.

Drake will be better and here is why:

Remember how Bert would just skate past a scrum at the wall and then call for the puck down by the goal line extended? If not, go back and watch some playoff tapes. I remember the commentators even saying a few times of "Bertuzzi needs to go in there and help [Wings player] get that puck out." Drake will do that. Everyone is talking about the offensive upsides, but Bertuzzi was more of a liability than a help. Think about it this way: with Drake on the team, that is X many times that a skilled player won't go into the scrum to dig the puck out. I think Dallas will be way more helpful than alot of people give him credit for.

geez I love this double standards...

before Holland signed Bertuzzi majority of this board was calling him a washed up thug. then ppl instantly changed the tune to praise him as powerforward with a lot to prove. now that he's gone we're coming back to the "Bertuzzi is garbage" song.

the truth is, he's not been effective for many years. and when Holland signed him there was a risk he's not even gonna play in playoffs. not to even mention contribute anything. he did appear on the ice and, for his physical condition, played some fine hockey, adding at least some bit of that missing physical component in Wings lineup. he wasn't the hero for the Wings but his play is far from deserving horrible notes

but I guess it's normal to bash him now that he's gone from Wings... you ppl never stop to amaze me...

truth being said: $4M is a lot of money for him and is much more than his real value is. but neither is Penner worth $4M now. maybe in 2-3 years he will be at this level, but I'll have to see it first. as for Bertuzzi... with some time to heal all wounds he may become this $4M player again. he has the potential and even not 100% old himself, he can be a major factor to teams success...

...don't be fooled, Burke signed our two guys to spite Ken Holland. Burke, while all the time whining about other GM's medeling and dirty doings, he is the biggest back stabber and under shoveling idiot. He is the Jeff Gordon & Jimmy Johnson of the NHL, if you cause the wreck, it's just hard racing, if someone wrecks you, they are idiots...

...Bottom line is, sure he signed Bertuzzi for $4MM but look he lost a huge future asset in Penner (if he doesn't match.) Bertuzzi will probably play very little this season, and Schneider, without Lidstrom's support, will not be as good. Sure, Scheid's is still a top 10 defenseman in the league, but playing with Pronger is not the same as playing with Lidstrom. Too much will be placed on the shoulders of Schneider and he will fall short of the fans expectations, ala Sergei Fedorov...

...that is fine, they actually made some latteral moves and we kinda upgraded with Rafalski. I can't imagine Drake doing much worse than Bertuzzi last season also. So if they get Bertuzzi & Schneider but lose Neidermayer & Penner, pretty much they didn't make their club any better. We never really had Bertuzzi and we had a small upgrade (although I really liked Mathieu) in Rafalski, I would say Burkes plan to make his biggest threat in the West weaker, failed...

Who?

I don't think Bert will be a bust at all , but I do wonder what Burke was thinking when he signed him up for so much money and still had Penner to sign up. I'm thinking he'll regret it that way though. come next summer it's only going to get worse. Getzalf's gonna want a big chunk of money and he'll be struggling to be able to pay him.

Guest jaytan

...In a perfect world, Selanne comes back for another season but signs with the wings and scores the OT series winning goal on a Scneider give away in front of the net....

You forgot to include that Big Bert would be sitting in the Sin Bin with a double-minor.

I don't think Bert will be a bust at all , but I do wonder what Burke was thinking when he signed him up for so much money and still had Penner to sign up. I'm thinking he'll regret it that way though. come next summer it's only going to get worse. Getzalf's gonna want a big chunk of money and he'll be struggling to be able to pay him.

I couldn't agree more, and as a non-duck's fan this is great news. I like the idea of Burke managing his team into a hole he can't get out of.

Bert will continue to be a dependable player, even a pretty good one sometimes. No crime in that. 4mil is great for him, and bad for the Duck. So who's compaining?

Bert will continue to be a dependable player, even a pretty good one sometimes. No crime in that. 4mil is great for him, and bad for the Duck. So who's compaining?

Wouldn't he first have to become a dependable player again for him to continue to be a dependable player.

His back prevented him from being a dependable player last year, and his health and suspension issues have kept him from being a dependable player the last couple of years. As for a pretty good player, I would like to see what you consider a pretty good player, because if you are thinking Vancouver Bertuzzi, you are thinking about the wrong guy. This is a different player, as you saw in the playoffs he is hesitant to go into the boards and hesitant to go to the net.

I realized in the playoffs last year that he meant no harm to Moore. You know how I know, because now he is afraid to use his body. That tells me that he thought he was going to hit Moore and have him turn around and get in a fight. Notice how Turtle never stopped playing his game, Darcy Tucker doesn't either. Because they have calculated the risk in what they are doing and know they could hurt some one. I honestly think he thought Moore would just get up and they would go at it. He is unsure what he would do to someone if he laid into them, he doesn't want another injury like that on his conscientious.

geez I love this double standards...

before Holland signed Bertuzzi majority of this board was calling him a washed up thug. then ppl instantly changed the tune to praise him as powerforward with a lot to prove. now that he's gone we're coming back to the "Bertuzzi is garbage" song.

the truth is, he's not been effective for many years. and when Holland signed him there was a risk he's not even gonna play in playoffs. not to even mention contribute anything. he did appear on the ice and, for his physical condition, played some fine hockey, adding at least some bit of that missing physical component in Wings lineup. he wasn't the hero for the Wings but his play is far from deserving horrible notes

but I guess it's normal to bash him now that he's gone from Wings... you ppl never stop to amaze me...

truth being said: $4M is a lot of money for him and is much more than his real value is. but neither is Penner worth $4M now. maybe in 2-3 years he will be at this level, but I'll have to see it first. as for Bertuzzi... with some time to heal all wounds he may become this $4M player again. he has the potential and even not 100% old himself, he can be a major factor to teams success...

Holland offered crap for Bertuzzi and got away with it. Burke broke open the piggy bank, will have seriously downgraded if Selanne doesnt come back and Bertuzzi is to be his replacement, and is risking the loss of Penner. Not to mention, for TWO years.