• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
scotzman

Bert a Bust?

Rate this topic

I don't think Bert will be a bust at all , but I do wonder what Burke was thinking when he signed him up for so much money and still had Penner to sign up. I'm thinking he'll regret it that way though. come next summer it's only going to get worse. Getzalf's gonna want a big chunk of money and he'll be struggling to be able to pay him.

I couldn't agree more, and as a non-duck's fan this is great news. I like the idea of Burke managing his team into a hole he can't get out of.

Bert will continue to be a dependable player, even a pretty good one sometimes. No crime in that. 4mil is great for him, and bad for the Duck. So who's compaining?

Thats how I feel. I think he will still end up being a good player and he could have been here. Anything near his season back in 03? no not at all. And as for Bert not getting involved much in some of the physical stuff I want to see him after a summer of healing and a full season. then I can judge him on that.

And di they over pay? Totaly. You have Penner to sign and you go sign Bert to 4mil? Did they need him? no. I think Schneider was a good move because of Scott Neidermeyer(sp?) possibly retiring, even though they over paid for him too. But Burke who used to be so much about careful planning and not overspending on guys did it twice with Penner up this year and Getlaf and Perry next year? They could lose one or both of those guys if they match Penner. I think Bert played ok here considering he barely played in the regular season. And the Wings did the right thing by not giving him 2 years at 4mil with the guys coming up next year.

While obviously I would have loved to have seen Bertuzzi of 02' return for us, I was not entirely disappointed with his overall play. (this coming from someone who does not like the guy)

I remember in the first round when he got in little tussels with Phanuef. I dont know if it was bad blood spilling over from Vancouver vs. Calgary days, but I loved seeing it. Brought me to my feet a few times. I'd have really liked to have seen him sign back here for another year, but at the price that Burke gave him, not a chance.

Bert will have a damn good year and then we are all going to feel like crap about it. I agree that at the 4 mil price that it's too much, but that wasn't the problem. He just wanted a 2 year deal not one which I still think he should of got. Now he's going to be kicking ass for another team and being a badass instead of being on our side. *shakes head*

Burke has major man love for Bert. That's what it comes down to.

Truer statements have never been spoken.

This is the only thing that could explain anyone giving Bertuzzi that much money. He hasn't been worth anything close to 4 million since 2003. Any sane person knows that.

The contract term is even worse. How could you risk putting yourself on the books with him for 2 years with his current injury problems? He could suffer a career ending back injury out of training camp, and they'd be stuck paying him for the next 2 years. Insanity.

Burke screwed himself, and because of this, he'll either lose Dustin Penner or be in salary cap hell. If he could have put his man love for Bertuzzi aside just once in his life, he would have been fine.

Luckily, this should stop the constant comments of how Burke is the best GM of all time, and everything he touches turns to gold. This signing is proof enough that's not true.

Haha, has anybody checked NHLnumbers.com lately? Schneider is listed right under Pronger...for only 500k less. I swear if it werent for Niedermayer wanting to play with his brother, Burke would never have gotten that cup.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Bert will have a damn good year and then we are all going to feel like crap about it. I agree that at the 4 mil price that it's too much, but that wasn't the problem. He just wanted a 2 year deal not one which I still think he should of got. Now he's going to be kicking ass for another team and being a badass instead of being on our side. *shakes head*

Haha, yeah, and Phoenix will win the Stanley Cup.

Bertuzzi was useless when he was here, and nothing gives me reason to believe he won't be useless in Anaheim. He single-handingly comes with more baggage than any other player in the league.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

...don't be fooled, Burke signed our two guys to spite Ken Holland. Burke, while all the time whining about other GM's medeling and dirty doings, he is the biggest back stabber and under shoveling idiot. He is the Jeff Gordon & Jimmy Johnson of the NHL, if you cause the wreck, it's just hard racing, if someone wrecks you, they are idiots...

...Bottom line is, sure he signed Bertuzzi for $4MM but look he lost a huge future asset in Penner (if he doesn't match.) Bertuzzi will probably play very little this season, and Schneider, without Lidstrom's support, will not be as good. Sure, Scheid's is still a top 10 defenseman in the league, but playing with Pronger is not the same as playing with Lidstrom. Too much will be placed on the shoulders of Schneider and he will fall short of the fans expectations, ala Sergei Fedorov...

...that is fine, they actually made some latteral moves and we kinda upgraded with Rafalski. I can't imagine Drake doing much worse than Bertuzzi last season also. So if they get Bertuzzi & Schneider but lose Neidermayer & Penner, pretty much they didn't make their club any better. We never really had Bertuzzi and we had a small upgrade (although I really liked Mathieu) in Rafalski, I would say Burkes plan to make his biggest threat in the West weaker, failed...

Schindes was never a top 10 D man in the league. Maybe top 20 last year which was one of his best years.

:clap: Well said. I couldn't agree more. Bertuzzi was not worth four million and I'm glad Holland didn't budge in that regard, but I do think Bert will have a good season in Anaheim.

When healthy, Bert's physical presence and goal scoring ability could have been exactly what the Red Wings are currently missing. Everyone seems to forget that a part of Bert's "ineffectiveness" here was due to recovering from major back surgery. The guy had about five useless regular season games to condition before the playoffs rolled around. There were times in the playoffs where I saw flashes of the old Bertuzzi, and what a force he could still be.

Before I get shredded to pieces for saying all of this, let me state that I don't expect Bertuzzi to be the player he was with Vancouver in his prime. However, when healthy, Bert can still play the game at a high level and be a very productive player. Everyone complains about the lack of grit on this team. Well, Bertuzzi certainly would have solved that problem. I would rather have a healthy Bert here than the speculated Forsberg or Fedorov anyday.

I feel bad for Bertuzzi because he never got a real opportunity to prove himself in Detroit. I hope he stays healthy and performs well for Anaheim, which I suspect he will. Good Luck Bert! :thumbup: