• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

Which former Wing would you choose?

Rate this topic

I'd hardly call Brendan Shanahan lazy. And how many skilled power forwards fight regularly late in their careers? It's not worth the risk, and they're worth too much to lose for five minutes all the time. Most of those guys fought all the time as kids because they were trying to prove themselves.

Did you watch him during the 2006 playoffs?

Next to Legace, Datsyuk, and Lilja, Shanahan was the worst player for the Wings that year. There's no excuse for the way he played during that Edmonton series, considering he had 40 goals on the year.

Shanahan is a perimeter player. He basis his game off of taking shots from nowhere, but since his shot is good, he usually scores. Babcock didn't like this about him, however, which lead to problems, and probably the reason why Shanahan left in the first place.

You can say all this crap about "bettering one's career", like the same old Fedorov speech, but the fact is that Shanahan and Babcock didn't see eye-to-eye.

What other reason would Shanahan have to leave? I remember after the Calgary series in 2004, he actually cried after Game 6 and was so upset because he thought the Wings wouldn't bring him back (surprise surprise, he had a bad playoffs that year too). Then, only one year later, he all of a sudden leaves?

Only conclusion here is Babcock wanted Shanahan to actually move his feet and not be lazy, which Shanahan is incapable of doing at this point of his career.

Could be that I've ignored a lot of the noise but there were more than a handful of people early in the season coming out of the lockout that felt Jiri was playing great.

And at least one who felt he was the best performing defenseman on the team from the start of the season until the incident.

Which raises an interesting question, do you see his jersey up in the rafters ever? anytime soon?

as more of a memorial to him not that his career in detroit was so phenomenal (like stevie's) but as a way to honor him and what he lost?

I know they retired the number, but what about hanging it up?

Related question... is the believe patch still hanging in the rafters?

Which raises an interesting question, do you see his jersey up in the rafters ever? anytime soon?

as more of a memorial to him not that his career in detroit was so phenomenal (like stevie's) but as a way to honor him and what he lost?

I know they retired the number, but what about hanging it up?

That's the thing. His number will never be worn again, but he only played six seasons, only two of which he was really an elite player. As great as he was, and he was great--if not for the accident Vladdy might be the guy with five Norrises, not Nick--he simply wasn't around long enough to earn retirement. As much as I'm going to get flamed for this, I think, based on play alone, that Ozzie is more deserving of the honor than Vladdy, because Ozzie was a top-end goaltender with the Wings for several years. Had Vladdy never been hurt in that limo, he'd win that comparison, but both players would likely have much more hardware.

Vlady and Jiri for sure.. I thought Fischer was really starting to bounce back that season too because he didn't play to well in 03-04 when he came back from the knee surgery but he looked like he was back to his old form the year we lost him, it was too bad we could've used him

Guest Crymson

If circumstances could've been changed which of these would you have like to see play through:

1. Jiri Fischer never has his heart ailment. What could he have done with all that potential.

2. Sergei Fedorov had never signed with Anaheim. Would his Detroit legacy be cemented and his number hung from the rafters without question or debate?

3. Konstantinov not being in that wreck. Oh the possibilities.

4. McCarty not having to be bought out due to the cap and playing his entire career in Detroit.

5. Shanahan not leaving for NY and hitting more personal milestones in Detroit.

I would have to go with Vladdy. That year he was a Norris finalist and put up that absurd +/-. His ferocious style that intimidated everyone in the league. Okay, so he couldn't fight much more than to simply protect himself but aside from that he was awesome. Who is to say how long he could've kept up his style but he could really do it all, including being able to contribute offensively if given the opportunity.

Vladdy. He had the hitting power of Jiri, defensive awareness approaching Lidstrom's, and offensive capability to boot.

If circumstances could've been changed which of these would you have like to see play through:

1. Jiri Fischer never has his heart ailment. What could he have done with all that potential.

2. Sergei Fedorov had never signed with Anaheim. Would his Detroit legacy be cemented and his number hung from the rafters without question or debate?

3. Konstantinov not being in that wreck. Oh the possibilities.

4. McCarty not having to be bought out due to the cap and playing his entire career in Detroit.

5. Shanahan not leaving for NY and hitting more personal milestones in Detroit.

I would have to go with Vladdy. That year he was a Norris finalist and put up that absurd +/-. His ferocious style that intimidated everyone in the league. Okay, so he couldn't fight much more than to simply protect himself but aside from that he was awesome. Who is to say how long he could've kept up his style but he could really do it all, including being able to contribute offensively if given the opportunity.

Picture the defence: Vladdy,Lids,Cheli,Fisher,Kron, and Rafalski awsome baby, wow ! but life is not that perfict we all miss you Vladdy and Fish :( PUT VLADDIES NUMBER 16 IN RAFTERS MR. I

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

Guest Yzer19

Picture the defence: Vladdy,Lids,Cheli,Fisher,Kron, and Rafalski awsome baby, wow ! but life is not that perfict we all miss you Vladdy and Fish :( PUT VLADDIES NUMBER 16 IN RAFTERS MR. I

I like Vladdie, but I don't think his number belongs in the rafters with the other 6 numbers. Those 6 are legends and icons. Unfortunately, Vladdie only played for 6 years and wasn't able to reach that status. I think keeping it out of circulation is good enough.

As for the question about which former player I'd want back, that would be Steve Yzerman.

Vladdy for sure & as others have said, it's not even close!

He was a force, and taken from the game far too soon.

I miss Feds too, and D-Mac, but Vladdy could have changed the history books.

I like Vladdie, but I don't think his number belongs in the rafters with the other 6 numbers. Those 6 are legends and icons. Unfortunately, Vladdie only played for 6 years and wasn't able to reach that status. I think keeping it out of circulation is good enough.

Vladdy was great, but he wasn't great for long enough to justify the retirement. If we retire it because his career was cut short, we then have to hang up Jiri Fischer. If we are going based just on level of greatness, putting Vladdy up means Ozzie, Shanahan, Fedorov, Red Kelly, Ullman. Ullman especially, as he has the kind of stats you generally look for, and it would mean both his #16 and his #7 were hanging in the rafters, so there's no reason not to honor him at that point.

Guest nutz2u

Did you watch him during the 2006 playoffs?

Next to Legace, Datsyuk, and Lilja, Shanahan was the worst player for the Wings that year. There's no excuse for the way he played during that Edmonton series, considering he had 40 goals on the year.

Shanahan is a perimeter player. He basis his game off of taking shots from nowhere, but since his shot is good, he usually scores. Babcock didn't like this about him, however, which lead to problems, and probably the reason why Shanahan left in the first place.

You can say all this crap about "bettering one's career", like the same old Fedorov speech, but the fact is that Shanahan and Babcock didn't see eye-to-eye.

What other reason would Shanahan have to leave? I remember after the Calgary series in 2004, he actually cried after Game 6 and was so upset because he thought the Wings wouldn't bring him back (surprise surprise, he had a bad playoffs that year too). Then, only one year later, he all of a sudden leaves?

Only conclusion here is Babcock wanted Shanahan to actually move his feet and not be lazy, which Shanahan is incapable of doing at this point of his career.

:clap: Shanahan drove me nuts the last 3 years he was with the Wings. A Brett Hull clone if there ever was one. :angry: The reason he got 40 the last year is because Babcock put a hot poker up his butt.

:clap: Shanahan drove me nuts the last 3 years he was with the Wings. A Brett Hull clone if there ever was one. :angry: The reason he got 40 the last year is because Babcock put a hot poker up his butt.

Shanny was great last year in New York also. He doesn't need a poker up his butt to be great, he's always been a great goal scorer and the reason he wasn't resigned here is because of his playoff failures over the last several years. Babcock had nothing to do with Shanny's regular season success in 2006.

Shanny was great last year in New York also. He doesn't need a poker up his butt to be great, he's always been a great goal scorer and the reason he wasn't resigned here is because he chose to go to New York for the same contract Holland was offering him to stay in Detroit.

Fixed it.