• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings&Beer

Sad state of affairs

Rate this topic

It's not so much the origins of the players, it's just that most of our foreign players never really bring their personality out into the open. Look at Holmstrom, for example. He's foreign, and still, although he's not a superstar, he's a fan favorite around here. He does lots of interviews, he's funny, and he works hard. That's why people like him.

Now look at Datsyuk... I barely ever see him interviewed, and most fans probably know nothing about him. He just comes in, plays the game, and leaves.

I think the player's nationality definitely has some importance, but the more significant factor is their personality. Datsyuk is not Fedorov. It seems he doesn't really want to be in the spotlight. He doesn't need recognition. He simply does his job, and that's it.

Zetterberg could probably become a "hometown hero," kind of like Yzerman. For him, it might just take leading the team to a championship in the near future.

It's not so much the origins of the players, it's just that most of our foreign players never really bring their personality out into the open. Look at Holmstrom, for example. He's foreign, and still, although he's not a superstar, he's a fan favorite around here. He does lots of interviews, he's funny, and he works hard. That's why people like him.

Now look at Datsyuk... I barely ever see him interviewed, and most fans probably know nothing about him. He just comes in, plays the game, and leaves.

I think the player's nationality definitely has some importance, but the more significant factor is their personality. Datsyuk is not Fedorov. It seems he doesn't really want to be in the spotlight. He doesn't need recognition. He simply does his job, and that's it.

Zetterberg could probably become a "hometown hero," kind of like Yzerman. For him, it might just take leading the team to a championship in the near future.

True. Someone with attitude would really help. Used to have plenty of them but not anymore. McCarty, Feds, Shanny... all of 'em gone. And Zetts is no Forsberg - who does have attitude - and as you say Dats ain't no Feds.

While I partly agree with the higher ticket prices and lack of "superstar" statuses as to why there are less people at the Joe, I also believe there are a few other factors that develop this outcome:

1. Technology: Many people today like myself have Center Ice which enables us to view any and all Detroit Red Wings we wish at the privacy and comfort of our own house. The hassels of traffic jams, parking, and high concession prices are eliminated and we can even watch it on our own time by recording it adding to the benefit.

I realize this is hardly a consilation to actually attending a Red Wings game at the Joe, but it is a nice alternative to people in and out of state.

2. Location: This speaks for itself. Many Red Wings fans like myself don't live in Michigan therefore can't attend as many games as we would like. Plus, there are plenty of Red Wings fans all over the country and the World that either don't have the transportation, the money, or the time to attend a game (See #1)

3. Promotional tickets: There are tickets that radio stations, businesses, and other establishments buy in order to hand out as prizes to people and they either sit in their offices due to unclaimed winners or lack the effort to promote them properly.

4. Season ticket holders: Some of these people just plain don't show up to every game or move and can't sell them.

As you can see there are plenty of factors that can contribute to a poor attendance figure. Each and every arena has seen at least one of these factors and will continue to do so.

Edited by ProfessorLidstrom5

I agree the MI economy sucks but they have to sell some tickets to the people who have the money but would otherwise never consider to buy those tickets...So yeah fill those seats and get loud again :yowza:

If I were the owner of the Wings, I'd do the same thing. You hire an ad agency to get more people who normally wouldn't even consider going out to a Wings game, but can afford to, to start coming. That way, you can keep your ticket sales up AND keep your attendance up.

My season tickets offer went by without a buyer (all tickets below face value too boot)... and i know my three other friends at work are also not renewing this seaon that is 8 tickets not being renewed...

I go to a few games this season but there is no way I am paying $4794 for a pair of ticket in the upper bowl for the season.

Edited by OsGOD

My season tickets offer went by without a buyer (all tickets below face value too boot)... and i know my three other friends at work are also not renewing this seaon that is 8 tickets not being renewed...

I go to a few games this season but there is no way I am paying $4794 for a pair of ticket in the upper bowl for the season.

Interesting that so many people here complain that they can't go to the games because all the corporations buy up the seats. But when there's a set of season tickets on sale for below face, there's no takers.

Interesting that so many people here complain that they can't go to the games because all the corporations buy up the seats. But when there's a set of season tickets on sale for below face, there's no takers.

Yeppers... you will remember during the whole nobody is showing up for games late into season and during the playoffs, I kept offering up my tickets to all of them... no takers then... thats why I don't stand for the discussions about "I can't go to games!!!! Corporations!!!!!" People just don't want to spend their own money when the opportunity arises... Not that I blame them, I too, am not buying them.... However, I AM NOT COMPLAINING about the empty seats either... just the prices.

:rolleyes:

Please don't judge Gordie's calibre on a Detroit Vipers one-time appearance. It's like walking into an alumni game 30 years from now and checking out Yzerman, they don't compare.

--

I agree with Lou though, the team really doesn't have the same kind of starpower... it's also got to do with an organization that's been one the upside for 20 years, and on the incredibly strong upside in the last 10-13. Ticket demand tapers off due to expected success, but what can you do?

Detroit really doesn't need superstars though, they've gotten by on hometown-stars: Stevie, Feds, Shanny, Vladdy, role player guys like Larionov, Mac, and Draper, although the biggest favs were players like Stevie and Shanahan and McCarty... which is why Bert got such a rousing reaction when the trade happened, too.

Your missing the point...I know Gordie is a great player...but only because of the stories I read and heard, I never actually saw him play, so to me Yzerman is the greatest Wing ever. There is no right or wrong answer, it depends a great deal on your perspective...in this case your generation.

Wings payroll went down almost 50%, yet tickets went up in a MICHIGAN economy.

I say, "Bite me Mike".

Actually ticket prices haven't changes in 8 years even though every other team in the NHL has raised prices in the that time period. We are the 8th most expensive ticket in the NHL yet we consistently have a competitive team. The problem is not the regular season it's the playoffs.

1. Technology: Many people today like myself have Center Ice which enables us to view any and all Detroit Red Wings we wish at the privacy and comfort of our own house. The hassels of traffic jams, parking, and high concession prices are eliminated and we can even watch it on our own time by recording it adding to the benefit.

I realize this is hardly a consilation to actually attending a Red Wings game at the Joe, but it is a nice alternative to people in and out of state.

2. Location: This speaks for itself. Many Red Wings fans like myself don't live in Michigan therefore can't attend as many games as we would like. Plus, there are plenty of Red Wings fans all over the country and the World that either don't have the transportation, the money, or the time to attend a game (See #1)

I hope the technology gets even better - cheaper and faster to fly for example ;). Even the whole media and watch games on tv doesn't really work for me. The network here offers such a small amount of games that it isn't worth it. Thank god for sopcast...

I really felt like Ryan Smyth wouldve been a huge star here....he's cut from that same mold, one that all the fans would love. Too bad he didnt end up here.

(no, im not knocking Holland here...just using Smyth as an example)

If we can afford him (after signing 'Z',) isn't Heatley up for UFA next year. I'd love to have him.

Edited by arnoldbuck

When is the old bastard going to get it right and lower the damn ticket prices?

I don't see how an advertising agent is going to do a damn bit of good here. The Wings don't sellout because the tickets cost about three home loans, not because people don't care. If that was the case, TV ratings would have also suffered this year, which they did not.

You think not selling out a single playoff game would wake Illitch up. Clearly it hasn't.

Edited by Kp-Wings

to me, it seems like hockey is just a lot less popular now in general. i'm not sure if it was the lockout or what...but i mean, watch a "top fifty plays" or something like that on espn or fsn and maybe two out of fifty will be hockey highlights. espn pays no attention to hockey. i really don't think that crosby is a superstar in terms of name recognition. if i asked my co-workers who sid the kid is, ten percent of them would know. i really hope that sidney can, in some ways, begin the revitilization of the NHL. he's relatable in addition to being immensly talented.

also, i thought the comment made earlier about detriot being a blue-collar town, etc. was very insightful. i think that heart really sells more than skill. i don't remember which game this was, but at one point zetterberg was taken down from behind while streaking towards the goal. it probably should have been a penalty shot, but wasn't. datsyuk was pissed. he was jawing at the ref (though i wonder if the ref knew what he was saying) and being very animated. to me, that was one of the best datsyuk-zetterberg moments i'd seen. even better than no-look-through-the-leg passes and all of that. it's them digging deep and showing that heart. i really think that more attitude like that -- if it can become more of a team ethos -- will go a long way in selling tickets.

I know that in my case it IS the economy.

In previous seasons (not 06-07) I had usually been able to attend 3-4 games at the Joe and maybe 1 or 2 in Chicago. That would be usually 2 tickets- sometimes 4 per game plus parking, beverages, and gas to get from GR to DET or CHI and back.

Last year I lost my good paying job at the start of the season to outsourcing overseas. The job I took after that was a 25% pay cut from my previous job.

There went all of my entertainment money plus the cost to get a new car, which I desparately need.

At this point, lowering the ticket cost won't even get me into a game. I have things I need to do for my family before I go to a hockey game.

I'm not blaming Illich, but people do need to realize that the ticket prices aren't the be-all end-all in this situation.

BTW- isn't Rafalski a home town boy? If the Wings really want to play on the hometown aspect, Rafalski would be a great starting point.

I haven't read any of the responses yet so I'm sorry if its already been said, but a large part of this is a good thing.

Yeah its not great that their aren't millions of people jumping at the tickets but if we can improve the marketing of the red wings and can attrack some new fans that is great news. If this ad campaign works the way it is working for the Tigers than you can't complain. Just by hearing the radio ads for wings tickets or billboards or flyers or mailouts or coupons IT DOESN'T matter.. its putting the wings in the mainstream media and allowing them to have a little more exposure to the public than they are use to, I mean all I ever hear about is Lions and Tigers OH MY!!

Edited by WingNut199

Although most wont agree, the prices and economy is only partially to blame. Alot of it has to do with the team as well as the product...at this point people just arent going flock to the arena to see guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk like they would Yzerman, Shanny, and even someone like McCarty. These guys were superstars in this city and people felt like they could identify with them. Theres really not that star factor here anymore, ...and please dont go bringing up Datsyuk's points or some crap. Im not talking about star in terms of just being a high scorer, Im talking about star in terms of being beloved by the fans.

Filppula and Kindl will see to that... :D

What is the cost for real good seats for one game at the Joe.

I spent $99 on one ticket at the Fleet to see the wings there a couple of years ago and probably will do it again this season.

Tix: 13 rows behind the home netminder, what would that cost at the Joe, could I actually get those at the Joe.

What is the cost for real good seats for one game at the Joe.

I spent $99 on one ticket at the Fleet to see the wings there a couple of years ago and probably will do it again this season.

Tix: 13 rows behind the home netminder, what would that cost at the Joe, could I actually get those at the Joe.

I know the upper bowl Row 1-12 is $54, not sure what the lower is... But if you are looking for a single ticket you would have no problem getting lower bowl tickets for pretty much all of the games a day or two before the game.

Well, going to a game in the joe would be a dream and will be something I try to do in the future, but I was more curious to see the comparisson. News reports have said the 4 major sports tickets in Boston (RI technically for the pats) are the most expensive in sports.

I understand the whole relating to the players and such like Yzerman, Shanny, D-mac, etc.. but I think it's the prices that are the problem. They are way too high and when you mix that with a poor economy it doesn't go togther.

It's a bad combination of both.

I truly believe that if you swapped Thornton for Datsyuk things would be different. I don't think it's a prejudiced thing agianst European players but it's natural for people to associate easier with athletes that have the same background or common name. Sure, Thornton is Canadian but he's a North American and he has a name that's easy on the tongue.

I'm the same way. I love our European players but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss having a Canadian (or American) superstar leading our team the way Stevie did for so many years. That's why I'm really hoping that Cory Emmerton can develop into a solid NHLer.

P.S. Illitch really needs to get his head out of his ass. The prices are atrocious and it would be nice to get a few more blue-collar fans in the building.

Well, going to a game in the joe would be a dream and will be something I try to do in the future, but I was more curious to see the comparisson. News reports have said the 4 major sports tickets in Boston (RI technically for the pats) are the most expensive in sports.

This is very true. But someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there's no income tax in Boston. That would put a lot more money into everyone's pocket if that were the case across the US.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk could be huge stars in Detroit one day. But Yzerman, Federov, and the likes had an opportunity to win three cups for this city when all other Detroit teams sucked. Zetterberg and Datsyuk need to lead the team to a few Cups and build a reputation for amazing playing (which they are doing). THen the widespread popularity will follow.

Remember, these guys are leading a team after only four or five years in the league. Our guys didn't get to be truly famous and beloved until 1997. Once we get that cup, you'll see.

I believe the most expensive is $75 at the joe... so figuratively speaking they aren't that expensive... putting them in a ratio with StateEconomic wows (highest unemployment rate in the country) and ticket prices... that is where the expensiveness comes into play. It become all relative to the place where the venue is located.

Edited by OsGOD

I think any team you add Joe Thornton too is going to add to the teams draw.

Especially cities like Detroit, Boston, etc.. the blue collar cities (no not that stupid redneck tour s***), he is a hard hard worker, digs in the corners, makes pretty plays, has been known to fight, will score, will set up. Thornton to me is the top forward in the game.