• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CrossoverThrash

Raise for Avery, Rangers have accepted.

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

The thread was started before they announced they were signing him.

Ahhhh. That makes sense then.

The cap hit to the Rags for Jagr is only $4.9 million, but they are still over the cap currently as far as I can tell. With 12 forwards, 8 defensemen and 2 goalies, they are at about $52 million. They probably want to have more than 12 forwards on the roster, but they could probably also carrying less than 8 defensemen.

They do have a bit of work left to get under the cap.

Kasperitis probably won't make the team. If that is the case the 2.9 million he makes next season won't count against the cap.

Avery could easily chip in 25 goals on the 2nd line with Zetterberg as his pivot.

edit: plus guys like Allen and Stuart would be too busy running around trying to kill Avery to bother with Zetterberg. Thus Hank might actually stay healthy

bingo

even if he doesnt score...he will piss others off so much, that itll finally give our guys some breathing room instead of being closed down as hard as they are sometimes

Oh poo, alas i suppose I have to wait a while longer to see my dream fulfilled.

When he played with the "s***ty kings" he scored 8 goals and then 15 goals, not exactly tearing the league up.

I agree he would be just like Homer if he played with Z and Dats, my issue is that then leaves this team with one scoring line and 3 checking lines. Definitely has a scoring touch? to me that means he would be able to score 30-40 goals. He would then be classified with guys like Thornton, Shanny in his prime, as guys who could throw down and have a scorers touch. He may be able to score, but hell Hudler's stats last year where comparable to Avery's and Huds saw about half the ice time.

Again I am not hating on Avery just hating on Avery joining this wings team.

Probert was a completely different situation, he was brought to the D to do one thing and one thing only same as Kocur, same as Mac in the early days, to fight. At no point in time did people say Probert was a goal scorer or a top 6 forward.

The league was different then, if you didn't have a guy who could protect Yzerman on his line, Yzerman would get pummeled. So while I see your point the comparrison is tough to draw.

IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: martyrme19:

It is nice to have a discussion about a difference of opinion with out arguing!

ya its certainly obvious that he didnt tear the league up when he played for the kings, however he was put in a checking/defensive role with the team, and as we all know wasnt given much oppurtunity since him and his coach didnt see eye to eye. Rather, the point was that given the oppurtunity, he could produce. As well, i'm thinking you took the definition of 'scoring touch' a bit far. In my opinion, a scoring touch would be someone who adds a bit of scoring to the lineup. 15-20 goals is a nice scoring touch if you ask me. 30 to 40 goals? Well condsidering that in todays league reaching 50 goals in a season is a hell of an achievment, guys like thorton and shanny of whom you gave examples far exceed the definition of a scoring 'touch' . If you ask me, they're more scoring machines.

so we're still european and "soft" right?

we don't have to worry about that changing.

I think Brett Lebda even volunteered to Kenny to change his name for something more Slovak sounding, so you know our squad's still willing to step it up when necessary.

=p

Here comes the COMPLETE 360.

I don't know how arbitrations go, but I've heard that's pretty standard practice and just part of the biz.

If so then the players probably just get used to it knowing it's about money, even though it's still bulls*** to hear that from your higher-ups.

Edited by Flip-check

Guest jaytan

Well this sucks.... Avery was the last player I was hoping for at all this offseason. Now it's time for a long wait until the season starts, or maybe even the trade deadline. :lol:

Kasperitis probably won't make the team. If that is the case the 2.9 million he makes next season won't count against the cap.

Does Kasper have anything left in the tank or is he done?

He's done. He was so bad last season that the Rags waived him, and let him finish out the year in Hartford of the AHL.

On topic: disappointing that Avery was brought back, as I'd have loved to see him here. He has top 6 forward potential, and is a charecter guy, which the Wings definitly need more of.

Well some reports have come in saying that he is in great shape this offseason and he expects to make the big club again. But even if he is good enough to play for the Rangers I don't think they will be able to take the cap hit so my best guess is he is either going to play in Hartford again or be dealt to some team like Pheonix who has the cap room.

Edited by Jaromir Jagr

Can't remember where I found these rankings:

NHL Team Toughness - Western Conference

1. Anaheim

2. Minnesota

3. Calgary

4. San Jose

5. Dallas

6. Chicago

7. Nashville

8. Phoenix

9. St. Louis

10. Colorado

11. Los Angeles

12. Columbus

13. Edmonton

14. Vancouver

15. Detroit

Point is, they still need someone tough. Avery provides some of this and a little scoring, unlike Drake.

I think we're screwed this season, but we'll still make the WCF.

Do you got a chart for league team toughness? I'm sure Detroit is probably last there too.

As much as I like Drake, he no longer fights people. Plus, he's 38 years old. Wouldn't have made more sense for Holland to sign someone younger (Arron Asham), who can play the exact same type of game as Drake, but also provide more offense and fight people?

I swear, it seems like everytime the Wings try and sign "toughness" it's usually some guy who is either at the tail end of his career, has just suffered a major injury, or is a former Red Wing.

I think the intention behind Drake was to mentor Kopecky, he needed someone to be around for a year and be cheap, hence Drake.

Having said that I would love to have a younger guy go out there and fight, hit , and net 30 with 60 points, but there is no one out there that has proven they can do that.

So the hope is (I guess) to turn Kopecky into that guy, although I don't see that scoring out of him.

Getting Aaron Asham was about as likely as the wings getting Cammalleri which is something I would really like to see, but reality says it is not happening.

I like that he's an "immature ass". That can work in your favor as much as it can against you, depending on the player. And for a player with as much to offer as Avery, it's a miniscule price to pay.

I can't believe the Rangers are even having to consider 1.9 million! That's a frickin' bargain!!!

In Avery's case, at least in the past, it absolutely worked against him. He's tenacious, gritty, can score, will drop the gloves.

Unfortunately because of his personality he has also been a major distraction to the teams he's been on. He takes bad penalties. He whines. He's said some incredibly stupid things in the press. He's been fined for diving. As much as we make fun of Floppa around here, he's nowhere near the flopper Avery is.

I'd love Avery if he could keep his trap shut a little more often and prove himself as more of a team guy. Seems like he's on that road in New York, I was just making the point that I'm not totally convinced he's turned it around.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest Crymson

"The New York Post reported that the Rangers described Avery to an arbitrator as "a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team."

The Rangers continued: "Avery is not a mature player. He plays, at times, like an individual rather than a member of a team. This is sometimes referred to as an inability to see the ice, and in Avery's case this seems to fit with his overall approach to the game."

Does this tell everyone anything, or shall we continue to delude ourselves?

"The New York Post reported that the Rangers described Avery to an arbitrator as "a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team."

The Rangers continued: "Avery is not a mature player. He plays, at times, like an individual rather than a member of a team. This is sometimes referred to as an inability to see the ice, and in Avery's case this seems to fit with his overall approach to the game."

Does this tell everyone anything, or shall we continue to delude ourselves?

C'mon man, that was BEFORE arbitration, of course they're going to knock him in order to hopefully save some money. Avery has been getting better and better IMO. He looked good in LA last year and continued to in NY. People just don't know it because nobody watches the LA games. All they see is what stupid comment he made in the press and make up their minds that he's no good because he's not "a top six forward". I'd take him in a heartbeat. When he's on the ice he's nothing but fast energy!

But I digress...

esteef

Guest jaytan

He's going to be a UFA next year. Let's root really hard against the Rangers and hope we can get him through a mid-season trade!

FYI

AVERY, SEAN 1,900,000

BETTS, BLAIR 615,000

CALLAHAN, RYAN 575,000

DRURY, CHRIS 7,050,000

DUBINSKY, BRANDON 633,333

GIRARDI, DANIEL 750,000

GOMEZ, SCOTT 7,357,143

HOLLWEG, RYAN 512,500

HOSSA, MARCEL 780,000

HUTCHINSON, ANDREW 475,000

JAGR, JAROMIR 4,940,000

LUNDQVIST, HENRIK 4,250,000

MALIK, MAREK 2,500,000

MARA, PAUL 3,000,000

ORR, COLTON 537,500

POCK, THOMAS 667,500

PRUCHA, PETR 1,600,000

ROZSIVAL, MICHAL 2,100,000

SHANAHAN, BRENDAN 2,500,000

STRAKA, MARTIN 3,300,000

STRUDWICK, JASON 500,000

TYUTIN, FEDOR 987,500

VALIQUETTE, STEPHEN 617,500

TOTAL: 48,147,976

with Kaspar: 51,136,976

with Shanny's 1st bonus: 50,147,976

with Shanny's full bonus: 50,947,976

In Avery's case, at least in the past, it absolutely worked against him. He's tenacious, gritty, can score, will drop the gloves.

Unfortunately because of his personality he has also been a major distraction to the teams he's been on. He takes bad penalties. He whines. He's said some incredibly stupid things in the press. He's been fined for diving. As much as we make fun of Floppa around here, he's nowhere near the flopper Avery is.

I'd love Avery if he could keep his trap shut a little more often and prove himself as more of a team guy. Seems like he's on that road in New York, I was just making the point that I'm not totally convinced he's turned it around.

I think that Avery might be one of those guys that plays his best when he's edgy, loud, and getting under other people's skins. Who knows, if he mellows out then maybe he'll lose some of his motivation to be tenacious and gritty. I guess that some players just have different methods of motivation than others.