• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CrossoverThrash

Raise for Avery, Rangers have accepted.

Rate this topic

I'm not sure who's paying for Jagars contract but if you add up the NHLPA NYR players it comes to $56,121,600 and that's without Avery's money. (Jagar earns $8,360,000 this year)

I think we (I included myself) as wings fans got so used to calling for more grit more toughness that some of us are continuing to ask for it.

Not that this team is the toughest in the league by a long shot, however, what this team really needs is a top 6 scoring forward.

Avery's numbers were bloated due to his linemates.

As I said in another post in order to duplicate or increase his success I really think that he would have to be paired with both dats and Z. Which is not a wise decision. The wings this year have made replacing Schnieds the top priority and now that is complete they need to look at getting a scoring first top 6 forward.

Avery would be great, if this team didn't already carry Maltby, Drake, Cheli, and according to Babcock Kopecy (right it was Kopecky he said he wanted Drake to mentor). So it seems as though Avery would be overkill and is not a scoring first forward.

IMO!!!!

I'm not sure who's paying for Jagars contract but if you add up the NHLPA NYR players it comes to $56,121,600 and that's without Avery's money. (Jagar earns $8,360,000 this year)

Don't the caps still own half of that salary!

I wouldn't mind having Avery back in Detroit...I was glad they traded for Schneids in 2003 but I wasn't happy that they had to trade Avery to get him...they've missed a guy like him ever since

Honestly I'd probably rather have Drake at bargain basement prices than pay $1.9 million for Avery.

I have nothing more to add other than, I CONCUR

Edited by OsGOD

Guest jaytan

I like that he's an "immature ass". That can work in your favor as much as it can against you, depending on the player. And for a player with as much to offer as Avery, it's a miniscule price to pay.

I can't believe the Rangers are even having to consider 1.9 million! That's a frickin' bargain!!!

Avery could easily chip in 25 goals on the 2nd line with Zetterberg as his pivot.

edit: plus guys like Allen and Stuart would be too busy running around trying to kill Avery to bother with Zetterberg. Thus Hank might actually stay healthy

Edited by rick zombo

Avery could easily chip in 25 goals on the 2nd line with Zetterberg as his pivot.

edit: plus guys like Allen and Stuart would be too busy running around trying to kill Avery to bother with Zetterberg. Thus Hank might actually stay healthy

you make it sound like Hank is Forseberg.

Easily score 25 goals, really, Zetterberg is that good that he is going to increase Avery's goals by that much.

Avery put up 18 goals last year, 8 of them with NYR with some really good players on his line. If I am not mistaken didn't he get a chance to play with Shanny and Jagr in NY.

Just because he comes to Detroit doesn't mean he is going to all of the sudden have a career year. Last year was this man's best season 18 goals and 30 assists. The year before was the only other year he reached double digits in goals scored. I know it is only 7 more goals, but to say he easily gets them is a stretch, could it happen yeah, sure why not, will it, I have my reservations about that.

This is similar to that guy there are 15 threads about on here (I fear mentioning his name) just because he comes back to Detroit it does not mean he is going to automatically have an unbelievable season. This guy is an over glorified 3rd liner, who needs to grow up a little.

IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for sure that price is great, you say his points are affected by linemates, the only better player on the Rangers top lines is Jagr, other then that Z and Dats are better

True but after D and Z who do the wings have can help him like Shanny and Straka. The drop off on this team is dramatic.

These two are phenomenal, then the next 3 (maybe 4 if kronner can say healthy) most talented players reside on the Defensive side of the roster (well lids should be above them actually).

Then you have a bunch of young guys that we as wings fans have great expectations, but is Franzen going to make Avery a better player, how about Cleary?

I think not, it is not that I don't think Avery is a good player, or if we had a good second line I wouldn't take him, but right now the team has more important needs than bringing back an instigator that scores 18 goals.

They need a 30 goal score who can rack up 50-60 points.

Right now nothing is available, yet, Holland has shown he has the patience to wait this out.

Come on LA screw up the Cammalleri deal so Kenny can chase him down.

Pointless now!!!

Edited by Opie

you make it sound like Hank is Forseberg.

No, you make it sound like I'm making it sound like that. If you've followed the Wings over the past few seasons you'll realize that Zetterberg's two major injuries came at the hands of Bryan Allen in Vancouver and Brad Stuart with the Flames. A slash and a cross check respectively.

If these players are chasing Avery around, they may not have the time to key in on Hank.

It was a pretty off-the-cuff statement, I was just throwing ideas around.

edit: but Avery would easily score 25 goals playing with Zettreberg

Edited by rick zombo

Avery is a potential 20 goal scorer. People perceive him as a guy who only knows how to fight. That isnt exactly true. The guy put up some decent numbers in the minors, he deffinetely has a scoring touch. What I dont get is the people who say his numbers are inflated because of his linemates. Well what about when he didnt play in new york and he played for the s***ty kings? Who were his linemates then. Besides, the same people who say that about avery are the same ones who quickly write down Homer in our first line. I love Homer, but scoring around 30 goals the past two seasons was probably a lot easier with zetts and datsyuk on the team. Why do we handicap avery for it?

Avery can do a lot for the team. He can intimidate, CHECK, protect players, fight, take faceoffs, make a pass, score goals....and he's got the intangibles. He's a grittier, more offensively talented draper. And trust me, you can win games with a team full of offensively gifted drapers.

And about him being "immature" and what not....look i dont care what they say around the league about how he's perceived, all I know is that when he did play for the red wings, I heard no trouble breweing. All I saw was energy on the ice and a player who never quit. I mean, does anyone not remember Bob Probert getting one of the loudest rounds of applause at the Yzerman ceremony? The guy was a straight up goon and couldnt keep his nose out of powdered sugar. Yet now we fans idolize him. what gives?

Just because he comes to Detroit doesn't mean he is going to all of the sudden have a career year.

He's going to have a career year whether he plays for the Rangers or the Wings. But now we know he'll be playing for the Rangers.

Avery is a potential 20 goal scorer. People perceive him as a guy who only knows how to fight. That isnt exactly true. The guy put up some decent numbers in the minors, he deffinetely has a scoring touch. What I dont get is the people who say his numbers are inflated because of his linemates. Well what about when he didnt play in new york and he played for the s***ty kings? Who were his linemates then. Besides, the same people who say that about avery are the same ones who quickly write down Homer in our first line. I love Homer, but scoring around 30 goals the past two seasons was probably a lot easier with zetts and datsyuk on the team. Why do we handicap avery for it?

Avery can do a lot for the team. He can intimidate, CHECK, protect players, fight, take faceoffs, make a pass, score goals....and he's got the intangibles. He's a grittier, more offensively talented draper. And trust me, you can win games with a team full of offensively gifted drapers.

And about him being "immature" and what not....look i dont care what they say around the league about how he's perceived, all I know is that when he did play for the red wings, I heard no trouble breweing. All I saw was energy on the ice and a player who never quit. I mean, does anyone not remember Bob Probert getting one of the loudest rounds of applause at the Yzerman ceremony? The guy was a straight up goon and couldnt keep his nose out of powdered sugar. Yet now we fans idolize him. what gives?

When he played with the "s***ty kings" he scored 8 goals and then 15 goals, not exactly tearing the league up.

I agree he would be just like Homer if he played with Z and Dats, my issue is that then leaves this team with one scoring line and 3 checking lines. Definitely has a scoring touch? to me that means he would be able to score 30-40 goals. He would then be classified with guys like Thornton, Shanny in his prime, as guys who could throw down and have a scorers touch. He may be able to score, but hell Hudler's stats last year where comparable to Avery's and Huds saw about half the ice time.

Again I am not hating on Avery just hating on Avery joining this wings team.

Probert was a completely different situation, he was brought to the D to do one thing and one thing only same as Kocur, same as Mac in the early days, to fight. At no point in time did people say Probert was a goal scorer or a top 6 forward.

The league was different then, if you didn't have a guy who could protect Yzerman on his line, Yzerman would get pummeled. So while I see your point the comparrison is tough to draw.

IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: martyrme19:

It is nice to have a discussion about a difference of opinion with out arguing!

Edited by Opie

The cap hit to the Rags for Jagr is only $4.9 million, but they are still over the cap currently as far as I can tell. With 12 forwards, 8 defensemen and 2 goalies, they are at about $52 million. They probably want to have more than 12 forwards on the roster, but they could probably also carrying less than 8 defensemen.

They do have a bit of work left to get under the cap.

Well, everyone can stop arguing about who wants him and who doesn't. Let's all be friends again and start a thread about "you know who" returning at the trade deadline.

Guest DetroitIan

I dont know where the whole "Rangers still havent accepted" talk comes from. The Rangers have already stated they are excited and happy to have Avery back for another year. Also, I find it quite comical that the Rangers basically blasted Avery by calling him a detriment to the team, and saying that he's not a team player. Then after the hearing, they proceed to totally contradict everything they previously said. If I was Avery, I would be like, scew the Rangers. Here's the quotes in case anyone didnt read the article.

"a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team."

"Avery is not a mature player. He plays, at times, like an individual rather than a member of a team. This is sometimes referred to as an inability to see the ice, and in Avery's case this seems to fit with his overall approach to the game."

Here comes the COMPLETE 360.

"We are pleased to have Sean under contract and are looking forward to him returning with the same passion and enthusiasm he brought to our team last year,"

"He is a terrific competitor, who we expect to play a significant role in a successful season."

:blink::blink::blink:

I dont know where the whole "Rangers still havent accepted" talk comes from.

The thread was started before they announced they were signing him.