• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Motown is the town for sports in 2007

Rate this topic

A lot of people have been trashing Detroit lately and taking cheap shots. For those of us living here in a time of a horrible economy with numerous amounts of negative criticisms, I figure it would be nice for there to be a positive article about our city and teams. So here you go...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=248801

Say this about your sports teams, Detroit: They reflect the show-up-for-work-every-day-and-punch-the-clock roots of your city. And in a Best Sports City year in which championship cities' "sportfolios" had gaps, Detroit's regular-season efforts and thisclose success in the playoffs pushed it to the top of our annual rankings, even sans title of any kind.

Top Ten

1. Detroit + Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti

2. New York

3. Dallas-Fort Worth

4. Chicago + Evanston

5. Los Angeles

6. Boston

7. Denver + Boulder

8. Phoenix + Tempe

9. Philadelphia

10. Minneapolis-St. Paul

Pretty cool. I know this isn't solely about the Wings, so feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place.

lol im glad to see it, but i dont care what this list says i dont need it tellin me what i already know =D...but im glad to see some recognition and some detroit haters talk s*** haha

I'm curious, are you a Wolverine fan or a Notre Dame fan?

I am really surprised to see boston that high. Unless this article was written after the Garnett trade (Celtics).

Seriously Boston has two great pro sports teams (pats, sox) and two weak pro sports teams (B's and C's) and none of the college sports team are really a power house in any sport other than Hockey (even then they are not truly a power house, more of a contender).

Now that the C's have Garnett and Ray Allen their stock will rise but they still haven't suited up together.

I am really surprised to see boston that high. Unless this article was written after the Garnett trade (Celtics).

Seriously Boston has two great pro sports teams (pats, sox) and two weak pro sports teams (B's and C's) and none of the college sports team are really a power house in any sport other than Hockey (even then they are not truly a power house, more of a contender).

Now that the C's have Garnett and Ray Allen their stock will rise but they still haven't suited up together.

im assuming the 3 titles won by the pats and the 1 title after years and years for the red sox carry the other teams on their shoulders prob

There's your answer. The Patroits have won 3 superbowls since 2000, two of them back-to-back (2003-2004). The Red Sox also won the World Series in 2004. That's good enough for 6th.

Congrats to the Motor City!

It's interesting to me in 2003 Anaheim was grouped with Los Angeles, but now it's not.

Also Dallas and Fort Worth, 32 miles apart, is one "town", but Anaheim and LA, 34 miles apart, aren't.

Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Edited by auxlepli

not sure how big fort worth is compared to dallas, but anaheim has definately taken itself to a level where it could be classified as its own city.

Also they have their own sports teams (ducks and angels). Fort Worth doesnt so it wouldnt be counted sparate in this anyway

not sure how big fort worth is compared to dallas, but anaheim has definately taken itself to a level where it could be classified as its own city.

Also they have their own sports teams (ducks and angels). Fort Worth doesnt so it wouldnt be counted sparate in this anyway

Dallas is about 1.2 million people and Fort Worth is about 653,000. L.A. has about 3.8 million people, and Anahiem has 334,000, I think the you're right on the with the difference though, Anahiem has their own teams while Fort Worth doesn't. Well, they've got TCU and a minor league baseball team, but that's it.

Woot, my town is 35th! :lol:

I went to TCU and lived in Fort Worth for 5 years.

Fort Worth had a minor league hockey team which drew average attendance, and they currently have minor league baseball and basketball teams.

TCU could be classified as their "home team", but from my time that I went there from 1999-2004 and up to this past season, they've only sold out a 44,000 stadium once, only drawn over 40,000 two other times I think, and a crowd over 30,000 is considered good for football. This, despite the fact that they've finished with back-to-back 11-win seasons, 4 10-win seasons out of the last 5, and going to a bowl game every year since 1998 (other than 2004 season).

There's just so many sporting options in the Dallas-Arlington-Fort Worth area that 9 out of 10 casual sports fans with little/no ties to TCU are going to be hard-convinced to attend a game there. Some good some bad. Here's a laundry list...

Dallas Stars

Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Mavericks

Dallas Desperados (AFL)

Texas Rangers

FC Dallas Burn (MLS)

TCU

SMU

UT-Arlington

UT-Dallas

North Texas

Fort Worth Cats (minor league baseball)

Fort Worth Flyers (minor league basketball)

And I don't think that's everybody. I know I'm stretching it pretty thin and reaching, but you see the point...

And I will be traveling to #22 on the list, Salt Lake City - Provo, in November, going to a game at BYU in Provo. I cannot wait.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

And I will be traveling to #22 on the list, Salt Lake City - Provo, in November, going to a game at BYU in Provo. I cannot wait.

Utah Utes are a better. :P

Enjoy the game and the uniqueness that is Utah.

Guest DetroitIan

Im a die-hard fan of all our Detroit sports teams. And alot of Detroiters are that way as well. Detroit Sports = Passion