• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Mickeyisms Rule!

Mickeyisms Rule!

Baboon for Enforcer

• PipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

According to Spector, Stephen Weiss and the Panthers are going nowhere in their talks. As I don't know a heckuva lot about this guy, I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.

He's listed at 5'11" 191 lbs and plays center. 20 goals last year with 28 assists.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the lineup we have now, but could this guy be the second liner we are looking for to allow Pasha and Zetts to play together on the first line?

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(Mickeyisms Rule! @ August 1, 2007 - 10:06PM) View Post

According to Spector, Stephen Weiss and the Panthers are going nowhere in their talks. As I don't know a heckuva lot about this guy, I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.

He's listed at 5'11" 191 lbs and plays center. 20 goals last year with 28 assists.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the lineup we have now, but could this guy be the second liner we are looking for to allow Pasha and Zetts to play together on the first line?

Do we really want to spend the money and roster space on another undersized forward?

Edited by Crymson, 02 August 2007 - 12:09 AM.

#3 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(Crymson @ August 2, 2007 - 01:08AM) View Post

Do we really want to spend the money and roster space on another undersized forward?

If he produces 25+ goals and 50+ points and helps us get to the playoffs....why not? 5'11" at a buck ninety-one isn't exactly undersized, I'm 5'11" and barely a buck sixety and I'm not exactly tiny; if he is built like a tank then he could be powerful, so why not add him?

If the man can shoot, pass, has some speed and is tough, why not add him?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#4 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

I just want to see what Grigs can do.... Weiss is tempting, but he isn't exactly what this team needs. We need size, scoring, toughness, and grit.... Weiss only provides one of those factors.

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(SwedeLundin77 @ August 2, 2007 - 01:59AM) View Post

I just want to see what Grigs can do.... Weiss is tempting, but he isn't exactly what this team needs. We need size, scoring, toughness, and grit.... Weiss only provides one of those factors.

You forgot the other thing he brings to the table, the fact he is a geek!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:54 AM

Weiss is a good player. He'd be a major upgrade over Hudler.

Still, he's an RFA, and that would mean giving up something in a trade or making an offer sheet at him, which is a pain. I wouldn't mind giving up Hudler or something for him though, if it came to that.

#7 Mickeyisms Rule!

Mickeyisms Rule!

Baboon for Enforcer

• PipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE(SwedeLundin77 @ August 2, 2007 - 01:59AM) View Post

I can certainly appreciate "wanting to see what Grigs can do." But with our current lineup we have a lot of those "X" factors in there.

X- Can Hudler raise his game?
X- Can Filppula step his game up from last season and be a seond liner?
X- Can Grigs cut it at the NHL level?
X- Will our top forwards stay healthy?
X- Who is our second line?

Weiss is young (24), and at 191lbs, isn't a wisp of a guy. He's no Penner, but he isn't tiny, either. With his age he really is on the upswing of his career AND he's North American, to boot. While he's not from Michigan, he is from Toronto, which makes him sort of a hometown guy.

Dunno, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Rumor has it that Edmonton may put an offer sheet to him (M4)

#8 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE(Mickeyisms Rule! @ August 2, 2007 - 02:59AM) View Post

Dunno, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Rumor has it that Edmonton may put an offer sheet to him (M4)

Is that an Eklund parody? laugh.gif

I like the idea of Weiss. Yeah, he's a bit small, but he's still bigger than Hudler, who is currently our 2nd line center. He's also a proven scorer, and fairly young.

...and before we start saying "Hudz had crap minuts!!!!!!!11one" and comparing the point totals, I assure you Weiss is a much better player than Hudler. He has good scoring potential, and is a good two way player also.

Edited by Kp-Wings, 02 August 2007 - 02:07 AM.

#9 Mickeyisms Rule!

Mickeyisms Rule!

Baboon for Enforcer

• PipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:12 AM

And he can score goals Hat Trick

#10 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

I don't think Huds will be the second line center, to start the season I am pretty sure you will see either D or Z there.
Unless there is a struggle to score goals (which there could be) the team has stated their intentions multiple times is to split those two up,
Z is a natural center and could be even better as a center than he was on the wing.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#11 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(Konnan511 @ August 2, 2007 - 12:34AM) View Post

If he produces 25+ goals and 50+ points and helps us get to the playoffs....why not? 5'11" at a buck ninety-one isn't exactly undersized, I'm 5'11" and barely a buck sixety and I'm not exactly tiny; if he is built like a tank then he could be powerful, so why not add him?

No worries, Columbus and Chicago will be all the help the Red Wings need to make the playoffs. biggrin.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#12 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

This guy is asking for up to $3.5M, I believe I heard on TSN.

Way too much, sure he has alot of potential, still young, but damn... You don't just fork out a hefty contract like that to a guy with one half decent season under his belt. At least Dustin Penner has already proven his physical aspect.

#13 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(Konnan511 @ August 2, 2007 - 01:34AM) View Post

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Weiss was on my fantasy team last year and i'm pretty sure he battled injuries early on or he would've had even better numbers. He also plays second-fiddle on a s***ty panthers team.

IMO, he'd make a fine 2nd line player for us with really good offensive instincts. He is definitely capable 2nd line guy for us.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#14 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Crymson @ August 1, 2007 - 10:08PM) View Post

exactly. And as an RFA, he'd cost us picks too.

QUOTE(Konnan511 @ August 1, 2007 - 10:34PM) View Post

Yes it is. In 2003 the average size in the NHL was 6'1" and 200 lbs. And I'm guessing it's only gotten bigger since then.

Just to get a fuller picture of Weiss, he's been pretty injury prone in his brief NHL career.

25-Jun-07: Florida Panthers tendered a qualifying offer.
29-Dec-06: Missed 7 games (shoulder injury).
27-Dec-06: Shoulder injury, sidelined indefinitely.
14-Dec-06: Shoulder injury, day-to-day.
16-Nov-06: Missed 1 game (sprained knee).
12-Nov-06: Sprained knee, day-to-day.
18-Apr-06: Missed the last 41 games of the regular season (wrist injury).
19-Jan-06: Wrist injury, remainder of the regular season.
03-Jan-06: Wrist injury, sidelined indefinitely.

He seems like a good player, but not one we need, especially since he's an RFA.

The Wings will have no problems making the playoffs. As Crymson pointed out, they're not really in need of an undersized center. They need a big scoring winger.

#15 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ August 2, 2007 - 01:49PM) View Post

exactly. And as an RFA, he'd cost us picks too.
Yes it is. In 2003 the average size in the NHL was 6'1" and 200 lbs. And I'm guessing it's only gotten bigger since then.

I don't know Mr. Harold... I mean ever since after the lock out, alot of the big 6'6", 260 lb. goons have exited the league, probably decreasing the average.

#16 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(BeeRYCE @ August 2, 2007 - 10:46PM) View Post

I don't know Mr. Harold... I mean ever since after the lock out, alot of the big 6'6", 260 lb. goons have exited the league, probably decreasing the average.

Exactly.

It's been said that the "New NHL" if you will, has become more user friendly for small players. By small, I mean really small. Like Hudler small.

Weiss isn't that small. He's 5'11, but he's still pretty close to being 6'0, and the Wings could always use more players that are at least that.

#17 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

plus those are some pretty quick hands...i would like to see that pickup...but im sure if we offered him something florida could easily match it, cuz i dont wanna throw more money away then we need

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#18 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ August 2, 2007 - 10:09PM) View Post

Exactly.

It's been said that the "New NHL" if you will, has become more user friendly for small players. By small, I mean really small. Like Hudler small.

Weiss isn't that small. He's 5'11, but he's still pretty close to being 6'0, and the Wings could always use more players that are at least that.

Still, on the wings the average height and weight is 5'10 163lbs.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

I hope that Florida resigns him quickly, so we don't have to hear about him anymore on this forum.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 Curban915

Curban915

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(GMRwings1983 @ August 3, 2007 - 10:41AM) View Post

I hope that Florida resigns him quickly, so we don't have to hear about him anymore on this forum.

I hope your computer breaks so we dont have to listen to you anymore. Are you always this negative?