• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Rumor: Ducks won't match offer for Penner

Rate this topic

Its official hes on his was to Edmonton. Its on tsn.ca now. Even though Lowe over paid Burke lost him because of the Bert signing. GM's will have to pay more attention to RFA's now-a-days I guess. not treat them as the last thing on their list.

Pretty much. Means that the days of 'oh, you're just an RFA, how's 2 million for 2 years look so you shut your yap' are over.

On a side note, with any luck this will eliminate the idea that Burke is some kind of Messiah of GMs, where everything he touches turns to sweet ambrosia and where he can do no wrong. Because honestly, I'm tired of hearing about how great a GM Brian Burke is.

On a side note, with any luck this will eliminate the idea that Burke is some kind of Messiah of GMs, where everything he touches turns to sweet ambrosia and where he can do no wrong. Because honestly, I'm tired of hearing about how great a GM Brian Burke is.

We both think alike in this matter. I can't stand listening to how great Brian Burke is a GM.

Another thing that should hurt his reputation is the Bertuzzi signing. To give a guy, who comes with that much baggage and is that injury prone, a 4 million a year contract for 2 years is ridiculous. And yet, I've very happy he did it, because I can't stand Burke, and love it when he falls on his face.

So now that this done, shall we take bets on how long it is before Burke starts flapping his whinny little gums to the media again? :rolleyes:

The over/under starts at 1 hour!!!!

Give me the under!!

I thought he was going to go to court or something to fight it?

His agent (or family representative, or whatever it is he's calling himself) has made some noise, but as far as I'm aware nothing has really come of it. I doubt they'll make an exception for Tavares, because quite honestly it opens the door to too many things in the future. They may, however, look at resetting the date of eligibility for future drafts, but I wouldn't expect any moves on that for a couple of years at least.

His agent (or family representative, or whatever it is he's calling himself) has made some noise, but as far as I'm aware nothing has really come of it. I doubt they'll make an exception for Tavares, because quite honestly it opens the door to too many things in the future. They may, however, look at resetting the date of eligibility for future drafts, but I wouldn't expect any moves on that for a couple of years at least.

Story

This is not a Bertuzzi for Penner swap.It is Bertuzzi plus a 1st,2nd, and 3rd round pick for Penner. Plus, with Bobby Ryan coming up, he will essentially replace Penner. The Ducks are hardly in trouble.

Guest jaytan

That's my thinking here. Hell, if Bert regains his old form, his contract won't be much of an overpayment at all, and Penner is still young and somewhat unproven. Plus, Burke gets three draft picks (including one that might very well be in the top 10) and could be able to re-sign Selanne if he wants to return.

The verdict's not out on this one yet.

That's my thinking here. Hell, if Bert regains his old form, his contract won't be much of an overpayment at all, and Penner is still young and somewhat unproven. Plus, Burke gets three draft picks (including one that might very well be in the top 10) and could be able to re-sign Selanne if he wants to return.

The verdict's not out on this one yet.

No, the verdict still is out.

As much as I dislike Burke - this is cheap shot... Imagine if Lowe signed Zetterberg to offer sheet 2 years ago when he was RFA for $7M/year for 7 years... I don't think that this is the right way to do it... Lowe is overpaying BIG TIME for Penner... Why he didin't signed Smyth last season to longterm deal? Desperation move... Lowe will be replaced this season as Oilers GM.

As much as I dislike Burke - this is cheap shot... Imagine if Lowe signed Zetterberg to offer sheet 2 years ago when he was RFA for $7M/year for 7 years... I don't think that this is the right way to do it... Lowe is overpaying BIG TIME for Penner... Why he didin't signed Smyth last season to longterm deal? Desperation move... Lowe will be replaced this season as Oilers GM.

where is there a rule that says a team can only offer so much money, hell if they need to overpay, they can do it. Its their choice, Burke can whine all he wants, hes still a baby

Tell you what. Let's look at this contract in 3 years. If in 3 years, Penner is putting up Smyth or Bertuzzi (in his good years) type numbers, then you get to eat your words. If he flops and drops below the 20-goal mark, I'll eat my words.

When you're trying for an RFA, of course you overpay. Don't overpay, and the other team matches your offer without blinking. Burke set himself up for this; he's got no one to blame but Brian Burke.

Why didn't he sign Smyth last season? Because Smyth wanted more money than Kevin Lowe felt he was worth. The better question is why he didn't sign after the Cup run, when everyone else was getting contracts, but that's neither here nor there. And calling tihs a 'desperation move' is just the latest phrase du jour. Kevin Lowe felt this was the best way to make his team better, so he took it. Got a problem with it? Sign your RFAs earlier, then. No sympathy for Burke here.

And replaced? Two of the last three season Kevin Lowe has done a good job as GM. I'd say wait until we see where the Oilers finish this year before proclaiming him dead and gone.

This is not a Bertuzzi for Penner swap.It is Bertuzzi plus a 1st,2nd, and 3rd round pick for Penner. Plus, with Bobby Ryan coming up, he will essentially replace Penner. The Ducks are hardly in trouble.

:thumbdown:

Not even close. Penner is 30 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller. Penner also did a hell of a lot more in the AHL than Ryan has. Ryan hasnt even played 10 games in the AHL I believe. If the Ducks were smart, they would send Ryan to Portland this season and have him get comfortable there before bringing him up to replace Dustin Penner as a top six forward. No way Ryan replaces Penner for atleast 2 seasons.

Not really. That's the whole reason why teams lock up their talented RFA players. You're an idiot if you just assume no one would take a shot at them. Those are the risks with RFA negotiations under the new bargining agreement- something every GM is aware of. Holland would have been a moron to leave Z unsigned through until the end of July with the current atmosphere in this league.

I'd be pissed if I were a Ducks fan, but as a Wings fan it just looks like karma to me. Like everyone said- he should have nailed down his RFAs before raiding other clubs' rosters. This stuff is why Holland said from the start his priority was to keep his own club together before offering money to UFAs.

Penner tore it up in Portland, he was a force on the ice every night, one game he scored 4 goals in a come back win for the Pirates, the very next game he was fore checking machine and an absolute bull on the ice, got 1 or 2 assists.

Bobby Ryan as said before is smaller and has not accomplished what Penner did in the AHL.

Want to know something weird Penner went undrafted!

To me that means he is a guy devoted to being the best player he can be and works his tail off to get there. That is why I wanted him in the wheel badly.

As for Lowe, he is just the first guy to do it, I think the Raiders got a bunch of crap for being the first NFL team to offer an RFA a contract, but it might have been the Bucs. Either way the team got a bunch of grief and now teams do it all of the time. The first offer sheet was the Redskins signing Wilbur Marshall from the bears, I was no where near close!

This will just make sure that any good GM does what Ken did with Dats and will do with Zata.

In the long run you will see that this is not that bad of a thing and will actually control spending, because you will not be able to assume your RFA is yours to be had and that means you can't freely spend on a UFA.

Once the price of UFA's drops a little so won't the RFA price tag.

Edit: Wrote NHL meant AHL

Edited by Opie

Pretty much. Means that the days of 'oh, you're just an RFA, how's 2 million for 2 years look so you shut your yap' are over.

I agree. He's no idiot but that team was built by Bryan Murray. Burke signed Neidermayer (which he really had nothing to do with because Scott wanted to play with his brother) and made that deal with Edmonton for Pronger.

But now he's signed Schneider and Bert. And while those aren't bad players to pick up, Bert is making too much money and Schneider isn't that great defenisvely. He would have been better off saving his money and getting some solid dmen like Aaron Miller so he could get a legit scorer like Smyth even.

Great point about the recent signings Hank.

Look at it this way who is the bigger question mark at 4 mil

Bertuzzi with his back issues and not being able to reclaim his old form, yet.

OR

Penner who is a young unproven guy that has had success at the AHL level and his a big bruising forward that could potentially be the next Bertuzzi of a couple of years ago.

Me I spend on Penner, because I for one think Bertuzzi is afraid to be the monster he once was. Not because he may get hurt, but that he may hurt another player. I just don't think he could live with that even if it was the cleanest hit the game has ever seen.

Not really. That's the whole reason why teams lock up their talented RFA players. You're an idiot if you just assume no one would take a shot at them. Those are the risks with RFA negotiations under the new bargining agreement- something every GM is aware of. Holland would have been a moron to leave Z unsigned through until the end of July with the current atmosphere in this league.

I'd be pissed if I were a Ducks fan, but as a Wings fan it just looks like karma to me. Like everyone said- he should have nailed down his RFAs before raiding other clubs' rosters. This stuff is why Holland said from the start his priority was to keep his own club together before offering money to UFAs.

What's you problem man???