• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flip-check

Mapping the NHL

Rate this topic

I'm torn. I use to want the Wings to move East.

Now that I'm back home in Indiana. I'm in the heart of the Central Division!

For selfish reasons I want them to stay, but it'd be OK if they moved.

When you get into discussions about who travels the most, another thing I posted over at my blog is an NHL Super Schedule, which is a spreadsheet you can access over at Google. Each game on the schedule is listed with additional information, such as the strength of the opponent across various measures and the distance & time since that team's previous game.

http://forechecker.blogspot.com/2007/07/de...l-schedule.html

Summed up over the course of the upcoming season, the top teams in terms of distance travelled will be as follows:

Vancouver 54,225 miles

Edmonton 51,433

LA Kings 48,611 (remember they open the season in the UK)

Colorado 47,154

Calgary 45,294

Detroit comes in at 36,883, and the five least travelling teams are:

New Jersey 22,900

NY Islanders 23,975

Philadelphia 24,482

Washington 24,642

Boston 24,864

I know it's a bit late to revive this thread but I have a few thoughts on it. I've never been a big supporter of expansion until I saw this. Disregarding travel, 8 divisions of 4 teams is great for scheduling purposes and getting rid of the 8 div. games. 6 div. games per team, 4 conference games per in-conf, outside div. teams. 66 games. 16 games to fill vs. outside conference, 2 conferences away and 2 at home. It still would take 2 years to see every team at home but that's better than once every 3 years. That would still raise the question of every divison leader making the playoffs or to just go by conference but overall I love the scheduling aspect of this format.

Personally I prefer Wings stay in the west (though the thought of playing Toronto and Pittsburgh are very appealing) due to the fact that when I work days (I work nights now so either I'm working or I can watch a game whenever), I get home at 8. If the Wings play any other W. conf. team I can catch the last 1:15 hours of the game, when they play east, I get the last 0:15.