• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wildwings44

Meech & Markov

Rate this topic

Meech would have to clear waivers if sent down to GR. There is no way that he would clear them, and he would be snatched up by another team that needs depth on D and has the cap space.

I don't think that a 2-way deal prevents having to clear waivers, so that's not an option.

I would imagine that if he doesn't distinguish himself in camp that he will be traded for a draft pick or a bag of pucks.

He'd be a nice presence, but we already have a logjam on defense... adding him would likely send Lebda back down.

Lids-Kronner

Lilja-Rafalski

Chelios-Lebda

Quincey

We already have seven and itll be hard to send Quincey down. Markov offers some intangibles, but not enough to merit the money he is looking for.

No Lebda is not going down. More likely Lilja and Meech would battle for the last spot and Quincy would go back down. We need Lebda for his speed.

Meech is ok and all. But im not too excited here. I would be if we were close to signing Markov. I just cant believe he would stand so firm for .5 mill. I mean I know he wants a longer term deal. But hell, I think 2.5 mill is VERY reasonable for Markov. I'll be pretty disappointed if he doesnt re-sign. Although, I must say, I wouldnt mind at all if Kenny upped the years on the offer. Maybe if Kenny offers a 3-4 year deal, 2.5 mill per. Then maybe Danny will finally re-sign.

No thanks. As this thread indicates we have enough D-men so we should hold our ground with Markov. Although I really like him, he is not the future and he would be taking ice time from a Quincy or Meech who are the future.

Markov and another forward and we're set. I think someone on this forum said it best with, "we are one defenseman and forward away from getting to the final four. We're also one injury away from missing the playoffs".

Missing the playoffs? How on earth does somebody think that either Chicago, Columbus, Nashville or St. Louis is going to finish with a much better record than us. I know you didn't say it but I have heard this before and it is just such a stupid statement that - well, I don't know what it say. As far as the final four, we were in it this year with 2 top d-men out and we have basically the same team.

Not a chance in hell exists that Lebda--barring a slump of incomprehensible proportions--will be sent down before Lilja or replaced by Quincey.

Markov did not play especially well in these last playoffs. IMO, Lilja was the better overall defenseman during that time. If anything, it seemed to me that Markov was shying away from physical play throughout most of the postseason.

When it comes down to it, Markov is just NOT THAT SPECIAL. He's got zero offense, he's injury prone, he occasionally has a bad attitude, his physicality is spotty, and he has really got nothing that truly distinguishes him. On top of that, we're chock-full of defense prospects, and we could really use the money for deadline deal later in the season. No thanks. I don't get the obsession some people here have with Markov.

Amen.

Lebda was awesome all season. Its funny the memories people have on here. The only time Lebda wasnt playing well was in the playoffs. Why? Because he came back from an injury 2-3 weeks before he should have. Lebda is a steady defenseman with blinding speed and the ability to go end to end in need. He is more of an asset than Lilja, Quincey, and Meech..maybe combined. His ability to cover up for his AND others mistakes is uncanny. Dont think for a second that Babs pairs Lebda with Cheli simply for the hometown connection and for Lebdas benefit. Cheli has been caught in the zone and saved by Lebda more times than I can count.

As for Markov, you hit the nail on the head, and described his physicality perfectly - spotty. Sure, he has thrown a few hard hits, but then there are games where hes no more physical than Lidstrom. I think people have an infatuation with him simply for the few (lame) fights he had. He benefitted a ton from playing with Lidstrom (as they all do).

The way I see it, if Detroit is gonna be tossing money at yet another Dman, it better be a Dman that you know is going to play a physical brand of hockey night in and night out, not just a guy wholl throw the occasional open-icer to keep his reputation as a "physical" defenseman.

Edited by YoungGuns1340