• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingschick33

Bowman may take job with Leafs

Rate this topic

According to a source via Globe and Mail, Scotty Bowman has been offered the position of president with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The source said Bowman was offered the job by the board of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and was given a week to make his decision. An answer is expected by Thursday or Friday and, the source said, Bowman may finally let MLSE catch him after a pursuit that began in the late spring when he spurned the company's initial offer.

Bowman could not be immediately reached for comment. Neither could MLSE president Richard Peddie or Maple Leafs GM John Ferguson, whose tenure with the team could end with Bowman's arrival.

However, the signs around MLSE point to a change in the senior management ranks of the Maple Leafs, who have missed the National Hockey League playoffs for the last two seasons.

Bowman had already turned down two previous offers with the Leafs earlier this year. If he says yes, it'd be great for Toronto and a chance for the team to turn around starting with the front office. While he is only an advisor for the Wings right now, it would suck losing him. Mike Babcock called Bowman once a week during the season to pick his brain and it's been nice having Bowman around. Plus, he's 73 so I'm hoping he sticks with the advising role and turns down the Leafs' offer.

Edited by redwingschick33

Crap... I'm thinking he's going to take this. After the last offer he said he had almost accepted except for the fact that he wouldn't have been given full administrative power over the team... This seems to solve that issue. Bowman is a huge asset to our team, losing him would hurt us more than I think is possible for us to see at this point. :(

I thought Scotty said he was happy doing what he was doing with the Wings cuz it gives him more freedom to do things with his family and such.

Thats exactly why he retired from Coaching in the first place. Joing Toronto would be a ton of work.

And by the way, this thread title should be changed. Its very decieving. The article doesnt talk at all about Bowmans intentions with its job, but pure speculation on the part of the Globe and Mail, whom I thought had a rough track record as it is.

And by the way, this thread title should be changed. Its very decieving. The article doesnt talk at all about Bowmans intentions with its job, but pure speculation on the part of the Globe and Mail, whom I thought had a rough track record as it is.

All I said in the title is that he may take the job, which is true. I never said he intended or has decided.

I definitely hope he turns it down, but you never know.

All I said in the title is that he may take the job, which is true. I never said he intended or has decided.

I definitely hope he turns it down, but you never know.

saying "Bowman may take job with leafs" is more an opinion than "Bowman offered a job with the Leafs".

At any rate, whatever..

Scotty knows what a joke the Leafs organization is, and MLSE for that matter. I really don't see him taking that position. He'd be crazy to, since the Leafs organization is not loyal at all.

You have to take stories that come out of Toronto with a grain of salt when it comes to hockey. I'll believe it when I see it.

Speculation about talks heating up again with the Maple Leafs may have been sparked by Bowman's appearance this week at the Air Canada Centre.

:lol: Priceless. All Bowman has to do is walk into the Leafs arena and suddenly hes going to become the next TML GM :clap: Props to the Toronto Media. They must get a ton of people to buy their magazines and papers.

Legendary NHL coach Scotty Bowman is denying reports that he is on the verge of becoming president of the Toronto Maple Leafs, saying he has not had any recent contact with anyone from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Didn't Scotty deny talks with them before, only for it to come out that he actually had been discussing things over?

I've only read the two articles posted here, so I'm not really saying it's this way or that way... but in a way, I actually hope this is true. We benefit from him a ton I'm sure, and so does Babs, but to see someone try and turn the Leafs around would be -fantastic-.

And someone that might actually give Leaf fans a good reason to mindlessly pile into the arena and support management, instead of the.. uh.. reasons they have now, like none but they do it anyway.

I'd really rather have Scotty "retire" a Wing, and who doesn't, but there's just so much punishment you can watch another fanbase go through before feeling - if somewhat undeserved - sympathy for the whole lot

Edited by Flip-check

Thats exactly why he retired from Coaching in the first place. Joing Toronto would be a ton of work.

Good point. It made me rethink the contents of the "article". The first time I read it I panicked and immediately had a bad feeling about it. Then I saw this blog and realized that it said nothing about Bownan's intentions as it was purely speculation and to some extent wishful thinking.

While it's possible MLSE is tossing truckloads of money his way, I do believe Scotty is smart enough to avoid that trainwreck.

To be honest, I think the main reason he turned the job down earlier is due to lack of ability to make any actual decisions. Basically he would have been hired, but would have been told that he can't do anything, Mr. Ferguson cannot be fired, etc., etc.

I understand Scotty has denied recent discussions, but I do not believe that for a second. That said, this doesn't mean he is going to take the job, but if he is a offered a job that gives him full control over hockey operations (ability to replace the GM, etc.), I think he would be at least interested.

I would feel betrayed, but at the same time, I would understand.

Bowman loves the game of hockey, and will not retire. It's not very often you turn down a president's job or a managing position, and it wouldn't be too surprising, it's not like Bowman hates the Leafs... We hate the Leafs.

I would feel betrayed, but at the same time, I would understand.

Bowman loves the game of hockey, and will not retire. It's not very often you turn down a president's job or a managing position, and it wouldn't be too surprising, it's not like Bowman hates the Leafs... We hate the Leafs.

How do we hate the Leafs. We never play them anymore. I know they hate the Wings in Canada, but I can't say from a hardcore Wings fan's perspective that the feeling is mutual. I always joke about their futility, but hate is a strong word to use for the Leafs. I think that Bowman probably misses being in the mix more than he thought he would when he called it quits in 02. Maybe if he joined the Leafs the year after his retirement, then I'd be mad, but so many years have gone by that I don't have a problem with him making this move.

How do we hate the Leafs. We never play them anymore. I know they hate the Wings in Canada, but I can't say from a hardcore Wings fan's perspective that the feeling is mutual. I always joke about their futility, but hate is a strong word to use for the Leafs. I think that Bowman probably misses being in the mix more than he thought he would when he called it quits in 02. Maybe if he joined the Leafs the year after his retirement, then I'd be mad, but so many years have gone by that I don't have a problem with him making this move.

exactly.

And it's not like he spent his whole career with the Red Wings either. I think he coached in Montreal for about as long, and won 5 Cups there. He was a huge part of Detroit's success, but I don't see it as some kind of insult if he chose to work somewhere else.