• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

YoungGuns1340

Nick Would Play For Less

Rate this topic

Detroit Free Press

Lidstrom answered a whole bunch of questions from readers, one of whom asked if Lidstrom would play next season in the NHL for 30,000 Swedish kroner ($4,479) a month. "Yes," Lidstrom wrote in the paper, "I would play for 30,000 kroner per month to continue playing in the world's best league."

Lidstrom also told readers he'd rather see Peter Forsberg in a Wings uniform than Mats Sundin, but qualifies the answer by pointing out Sundin has said he wants to be a lifelong Maple Leaf.

Obviously we wont be paying Lidstrom league minimum, but I dont think its any stretch to say that Holland could sign Lidstrom to around 5M per...

I completely think Lidstrom will be the kind of guy that recognizes that Holland needs to give Zetterberg his due, and he wont want to put the Wings in a sticky situation with some big contracts and no depth..

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Well, lets hope he can stick to this quote when the offer sheets are actually placed in front of him... Things are easy to agree to when they are aar off in the future. It would be nice for him to take a pay break to sign another great play...

To me talk is cheap... He is making league max or just about that now... we will see what actually happens. I hope he can stand by his quote.

Edited by OsGOD

Well, lets hope he can stick to this quote when the offer sheets are actually placed in front of him... Things are easy to agree to when they are aar off in the future. It would be nice for him to take a pay break to sign another great play...

To me talk is cheap... He is making league max or just about that now... we will see what actually happens. I hope he can stand by his quote.

Talk IS cheap, and Nick IS making about the league max, and you know what? He's not worth it. He's not the best defenseman in the league. He's not among leading scorers for defensemen. He's certainly not among +/- leaders in the league. I can't find a single reason he makes the money he does... so I certainly can't get excited at all about the possibility of him deferring money to keep Zetterberg. I mean, Yzerman did it to get Hasek/Robitaille/Hull, but Nick is NOTHING like Steve Yzerman.

Oh, and by "NOTHING" I mean "A LOT" and by "not among" leading scorers and plus/minus, I mean "ALWAYS among", and by "not the best defenseman" I mean "THE BEST DEFENSEMAN IN THE LEAGUE".

seriously. can you get a more UNselfish player? ...no SUPERSTAR player. i mean there just aren't guys in professional sports that have the type of success Lids has had year after year and then come out and say they would take a pay cut. i hope he is as sincere as i believe him to be and remains a Detroit Redwing for life and gets raise the cup atleast one more time before he goes. :clap:

Talk IS cheap, and Nick IS making about the league max, and you know what? He's not worth it. He's not the best defenseman in the league.

Yes he is worth it.

Check the Holland thread where he says probably got Datsyuk at a bargain, even though he makes a ridiculous amount of cash. Same kinda scenario with Lidstrom more/less, if you focus on the $$$. If Lidstrom signed somewhere else (a huge hypothetical, isn't going to happen and I'm not suggesting it happens), another GM would offer him the leauge max. He'd probably make more somewhere ekse, even more now.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest Crymson

Talk IS cheap, and Nick IS making about the league max, and you know what? He's not worth it. He's not the best defenseman in the league. He's not among leading scorers for defensemen. He's certainly not among +/- leaders in the league. I can't find a single reason he makes the money he does...

I daresay I've never actually heard anybody say this.

Talk IS cheap, and Nick IS making about the league max, and you know what? He's not worth it. He's not the best defenseman in the league. He's not among leading scorers for defensemen. He's certainly not among +/- leaders in the league. I can't find a single reason he makes the money he does... so I certainly can't get excited at all about the possibility of him deferring money to keep Zetterberg. I mean, Yzerman did it to get Hasek/Robitaille/Hull, but Nick is NOTHING like Steve Yzerman.

Oh, and by "NOTHING" I mean "A LOT" and by "not among" leading scorers and plus/minus, I mean "ALWAYS among", and by "not the best defenseman" I mean "THE BEST DEFENSEMAN IN THE LEAGUE".

All i am saying is TALKING about doing the paycut thing doesn't make him a class act or show anything of his character... Actually doing it when the time comes to sign the contract that a different story.

I think Nick is a great player, BUT i am not judging the validity of the "Classyness" of his character on what very well could turn out to be "empty Promises" just the same as truth... It was dumb of him to say that in the media... Now he almost has to take the pay cut or look like a donkey.... Kenny should get the extensioned signed TOMORROW as Nick already is on record saying he would take it.

Come on Kenny, what is taking him SO LONG now... Sign nick to 10 years for 4.5mill...

I just don't see it happening... sorry folks.

I am also not saying he doesn't deserve the league max... I am just saying, this might very well bite him in the ass.... I can foresee retiring or going home before he takes the paycut.

Not to mention "Lidstrom wrote in the paper, "I would play for 30,000 kroner per month to continue playing in the world's best league." " what is that like $58,000 a year... IDK that seems like a HUGE paycut... From millions to Thousands?

Also, re-reading it... he never said ANYTHING about taking a paycut! It was a hypethetical statement by LIDS not a factual GOING TO TAKE A PAYCUT... This thread and judgement of his Classyness was based soley on twisting his words and assuming he meant he would take a paycut.

Edited by OsGOD

Realistically in a few years he's still going to be one of the best defenders in the league (he just won his 5th Norris trophy at 37 years old). I can't see the NHLPA approving a contract where he signs for $1.5 mill a year, even if Nick wanted to.

Especially if the cap keeps going up. It obviously depends on the length that they signed him for, but a more realistic option would be that he signs a few mill under the league max. As I've said before. He's not only one of the best at his position, he's also a workhorse. He plays almost 30 minutes a game and 80+ games a season. All at the highest level.

Though anything short of him signing for a mill a year, I'm sure there will be people here who will think he's greedy and should've given up the millions of dollars he's worth so the Wings could get other players.

EDITED for typos and to reduce general crankiness of the post.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

The NHLPA has little to no control over what any player accepts - just a few nasty emails from his NHLPA big-wig teammate Chelios who arguably could be demanding more $$$ himself - a hypocritical situation to say the least so I doubt Chelios, or anyone for that matter would make a stink.

Besides it's not as though will actually make the $1.5 million per year unless he plays more than the initial 3 years of that proposed 6 year contract; it's just 1 of many ways to help the team get around the cap issue.

Okay then - lets pay Nick $7.6 million for 3 more years, but then add another 3 years @ $1 million per year; that's $25.8 million over 6 years, or in terms of a cap hit it'll be a $4.3 per year - mind you the chances of Nick playing 3, or more years beyond the 2007-2008 season are slim.

There are numerous ways for this to work.

I'm not 100% on this, but I thought the NHLPA and the NHL both had to approve a player's contract.

Which would prevent things like the Wings trying to sign him for an unrealistically long time like 10 years to try and reduce the cap hit. Because as you say, the odds of him playing more than a few years are pretty low. And the league won't let them sign for that long knowing he's almost certainly going to retire before then.

Overall, I'm not too worried about it. I think Nick will play for a discount, but I'm betting it's not going to be nearly as big a discount as many here would want.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I gather if things don't go his way during negotiations... we could see him taking a 7.5 million pay cut... and going back the swedes

Edited by OsGOD

I'm by all means no contract expert, but didn't NYI netminder Dipietro sign a 10, or 15 year deal :unsure:

Either way there's some crazy $hit going on with player negotiations; wouldn't surprise me if Nick takes the cue from Stevie, & takes the "discount" ...Haven't heard any news of the Lidstrom clan standing in line @ the local soup kitchen for a free meal :lol:

He did. But in Nick's case it's different because he's 37. So a 10 year contract has him playing until he's 47. Highly unlikely. Whereas DiPietro is 25 (and I still think it's a ridiculous contract).

So if the Wings offer a 10 year contract to Nick at much lower pay for the last 5 years, I think the league would catch on that they were trying to pull a fast one and reduce the cap hit.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Yes the league would, but is there any rule/provision in the contract between the league, & players that will not allow such contracts to take place?

If not Holland should look into this for our older players like Nick whom can still command alot of $$$, but for a few years...Would be great way to keep our own players, or useful in signing UFA's without huge hits to the cap.

Except that with players of that age who retire (like Malakhov) they still hit the cap. Say we offer contracts to Nick, Chelios, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom that have a total cap hit of 12m per season, but all are long deals that are front-loaded, and five years from now the 2011-2012 season the cap hit is still 12m, but Holmstrom is the only one stil on the roster. Combine that with likely 8m per for Rafalski, plus 7m for each of Hank and Dats, and you've spent 34m on four players.

Gotta agree 100%...Not bashing Nick here, but it wasn't more than 4, or 5 years ago he made it publicly known that he wants to raise his kids in Sweden; could've been a ploy to get max $$$.

Haha, ya i have a funny story about that. Apparently Nick is friends with some of the owners in the ice rink in my hometown, and he was having a few beers up in the top shelf bar the year he was signing his new contract. A few of us who knew the owner well was allowed to kind of sit around and listen to them talk, and someone asked him how much he was gonna sign for next year. Then, the guy who knows Nick pretty well cut in and said sarcasticaly, "Ya, and if you dont get the contract you want you'll be moving back to sweden right?" Nick laughed and responded sarcastically as well, "Thats right, I think this year is the year my family and I will be moving back to sweden." And then gave everyone a little wink.

After hearing that, I knew then and there that Lidstrom wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

Guest Crymson

Talk IS cheap, and Nick IS making about the league max, and you know what? He's not worth it. He's not the best defenseman in the league.

Also, apparently the NHL disagrees with you on this subject.

Man, talk about spoiled fans--I'd almost LIKE to see us have a hideous season so we'd lose all the fairweather fans and give a dose of perspective to the rest.

Edited by Crymson

Also, apparently the NHL disagrees with you on this subject.

Man, talk about spoiled fans--I'd almost LIKE to see us have a hideous season so we'd lose all the fairweather fans and give a dose of perspective to the rest.

Luckily, Zion wasn't being serious when saying that.

Haha, ya i have a funny story about that. Apparently Nick is friends with some of the owners in the ice rink in my hometown, and he was having a few beers up in the top shelf bar the year he was signing his new contract. A few of us who knew the owner well was allowed to kind of sit around and listen to them talk, and someone asked him how much he was gonna sign for next year. Then, the guy who knows Nick pretty well cut in and said sarcasticaly, "Ya, and if you dont get the contract you want you'll be moving back to sweden right?" Nick laughed and responded sarcastically as well, "Thats right, I think this year is the year my family and I will be moving back to sweden." And then gave everyone a little wink.

After hearing that, I knew then and there that Lidstrom wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

Probably the same wink he had while responding to the question and saying he would play for athletes peanuts to remain in this league, eh?

When Lidstrom threatened to go to Sweden, he was making 2M, had just put up 4 consecutive 57+ point seasons playing no less than 79 games in all of them, and had just been nominated for the Norris. He then went on to sign a contract for 6M, at which point MacInnis was making 5M, Bourque was making 6M, Chelios was making 5.5, Blake was making 5.3, and Leetch was making 7.6. Its not like Lidstrom used the Sweden tactic to get himself money he didnt deserve, he used it to get market money.