• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

What's up with Danny Markov

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

At this point it looks like he's pricing himself right out of the league.

Has anybody heard any rumors of another team making offers or talking to his agent?

Would we even want him back at this point? (I sort of would like him back)

I heard he wanted like 4 million? Is that accurate?

What do you all think he's worth?

Well last I heard the only interested team that I can remember was the Islanders and YES he is looking from the range of a long term contract 3.5-4.0 a year.

Markov is worth (logicaly of course) 2.5 a year ... maxxxx 3.00-3.25 wich i would still think its too much for him

Has anybody heard any rumors of another team making offers or talking to his agent?

Who cares? Do you really put so much stock in rumors?

Markov is the best defenseman left on the free agent market and thus probably has plenty of interest just by default. I think he's just trying to get a few extra bucks before he signs. I still hope it'll be in Detroit...

Markov is the best defenseman left on the free agent market and thus probably has plenty of interest just by default. I think he's just trying to get a few extra bucks before he signs. I still hope it'll be in Detroit...

I'm pretty sure what he was getting at there was that, unless someone could prove him potentially wrong, no one seems interested in him, and that his demands are causing him to not even be taken seriously by GMs.

Best defensmen on the market or not, if he had a chance at 4 mil it was during the flurry of signings. There was an overly emotional charge to the flurry, and the fallout afterwards has been much more cool and calculating. 4 mil will be pretty tough.

The only way Markov is worth 4M is if he plans to give 2M of it to Lidstrom, because hes half the defenseman without Lids.

Im actually more interested in Sutton at this point, considering he probably realized hes not gonna get that 4 year 16M contract.

If Markov doesn't lower his demands soon, he can jump on a plane with Alexei Yashin and go to Russia.

Markov has never been, is not, and will never be worth anything more than three million per season. Even three million is a stretch if you ask me.

I don't know why everyone wants Markov back so much anyways. I'd be just as happy with Lilja, Quincey, or Meech honestly. If Danny Markov thinks he deserves four million dollars per season, those aren't cigarettes he is smoking during intermission.

Edited by GoWings1905

I am all set with the wings not signing any one else on D.

Unless it is a great deal, overpaying for Markov is the opposite of a great deal.

If he wanted to come back at 2-2.5 I wouldn't be that upset, but paying 4 mil is not a smart move, and Holland has shown he is not backing down from his stance that he won't offer guys like Markov and Bert more money than he thinks they are worth.

If it back fires and Markov some how is the Norris winner, than that was a risk Ken didn't think worth it and I agree.

Same with Bert, if he comes back and scores 35 goals with 50pts and is a top forward in the league and Lang is the comeback player of the year and leads the Black Hawks to the playoffs than great for them but risks I would rather not see Holland take, especially for the money.

For all the Markov haters...I have a statement.

When was the last time you remember Markov's name being mentioned in a game? It only happened when he had the puck, or when he made a big hit. Markov was out least error-prone defenseman after Lidstrom. He rarely if ever made any major mistakes defensively, and this was playing in a primary shutdown role. Lilja impressed towards the end of the season, but I would take Markov over Lilja, Meech, or Quincey ten out of ten times for this year's roster.

That said, Markov realistically should get between 3m and 3.5m...not as high as he wants, but he played damn well last year and certainly earned a raise. The Wings' have to find out if Hudler, Filppula, and Grigorenko can be top six forwards, so blowing their remaining cap space (about 5m after bonuses are accounted for) on one of the leftovers is unlikely. Realistically, one deadline acquisition could make at MOST maybe 3m, and that kind of guy would cost too much in assets to acquire. So we sign Markov for 3, and leave 2m for the deadline.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Did you hear the whooshing sound? That was the point I was trying to make flying right over your head.

I had heard that Markov was asking for way too much and had not heard that anybody had tendered him an offer or even that his name was being mentioned. The point of my post wasn't to talk about rumors but to address the thought that perhaps Markov is pricing himself out of the league.

Sheesh....

When was the last time you remember Markov's name being mentioned in a game? It only happened when he had the puck, or when he made a big hit. Markov was out least error-prone defenseman after Lidstrom. He rarely if ever made any major mistakes defensively, and this was playing in a primary shutdown role. Lilja impressed towards the end of the season, but I would take Markov over Lilja, Meech, or Quincey ten out of ten times for this year's roster.

That said, Markov realistically should get between 3m and 3.5m...not as high as he wants, but he played damn well last year and certainly earned a raise. The Wings' have to find out if Hudler, Filppula, and Grigorenko can be top six forwards, so blowing their remaining cap space (about 5m after bonuses are accounted for) on one of the leftovers is unlikely. Realistically, one deadline acquisition could make at MOST maybe 3m, and that kind of guy would cost too much in assets to acquire. So we sign Markov for 3, and leave 2m for the deadline.

Pretty crazy that he had possibly his best year in the NHL when he was paired with Lidstrom, huh?

And nobody on here is a markov "hater" as much as they are Markov Realists

Agree. I think some really undervalue the guy. He's exactly the type of player the Wings need back on the blueline. All business, D first, plays with alot of nastiness, and players actually feel it when the guy puts a hit on. Lids is great, hell even the greatest Dman in the game today, but I think he'd be the first to tell you it's great to have a guy like Markov out there with him. It's not like Markov was some bumbling idiot out there and Lids bailed him out every shift. I'd say no more than 3-3.25 for 2 years MAX. If that's not enough let the Isle's or Atl or someone like that overpay for him. But to say you could play Lilja, Meech or Quincey out there instead of him and not miss a beat is silly. Everyone wants a tougher Wings team, the guy is the definition of tough.

Yeah markov is a decent d man but who isn't when paired with nicky, 3m tops is all he is worth, I vote to keep our money for something better at the deadline and play our young guys for the start of the season...

I don't blame the guy for wanting more money but if he wants to play with detroit then he better come down in $$$..

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Eva you are one of the few people on this board who proves there hockey knoweledge through reason rather than a thesauraus. :clap:

We need Markov back. Who's to say he didn't help Lids out as well as the reverse? With a guy who makes opposing players lives a heck of a lot tougher, it might give a bit more time and space to a slickster like Nik. Is his agent's name Greenstin? He's likely just holding out to see what he can get and hopefully will be more amenable to signing soon. I'd rather see us spend on Markov and let the deadliners lose their draft picks on rentals.

Is he just supposed to decline his option to play with Lids, "sorry Babs, I don't want to play with Lids, he is too good and I might have too good of a year and then people will think I only play good with him and then I will want too much money". Some guys made careers out of playing with good players, do you think Jari Kurri would have scored as many goals in his career if he played with anyone besides Gretz? I doubt it. Coaches put a certain player with a better player to try and make them better which is exactly what happened with Markov. It worked, Markov had a very good mistake free year and he and all the fans should be happy he played with Lids because in the long run it made our team better!! His 4 million dollar demand is a little out of line but not that much. I wouldn't be suprised to see him sign a deal for 2-3 years that averages about 3.5 but sees him make close to 4 in the first year. If somebody else mentions Andy Sutton I am going to puke, HE IS A PYLON AND ABOUT A THIRD OF THE D-MAN MARKOV IS!!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

We need Markov back. Who's to say he didn't help Lids out as well as the reverse? With a guy who makes opposing players lives a heck of a lot tougher, it might give a bit more time and space to a slickster like Nik. Is his agent's name Greenstin? He's likely just holding out to see what he can get and hopefully will be more amenable to signing soon. I'd rather see us spend on Markov and let the deadliners lose their draft picks on rentals.

Great Markov moment. Oh, and heck of a goal by Dats too.

Watching Ethan Moreau instigate a fight with Danny only to blow out his shoulder......priceless. Truth be told I don't want to see anybody hurt but that seemed like karma rearing its ugly head if you ask me.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Markov is the kind of player you'd like to have on your team but do not break the bank and blow your Cap space for. For $2.5 mil on a 1 or 2 year deal then sure, sign him up. Any more than that and I'd pass. I don't like the idea of Lilja playing in our top 4 but I guess we have no choice really. Lets hope Kronwall can actually stay healthy for once. I really like his game but he has to be a player the Wings can count on and not be injured all the time. If I'm Markov I'd want to come back to the Wings and win a Cup. But maybe he doesn't care about that. Who knows? I know I would. But that's just me.

Did you hear the whooshing sound? That was the point I was trying to make flying right over your head.

I had heard that Markov was asking for way too much and had not heard that anybody had tendered him an offer or even that his name was being mentioned. The point of my post wasn't to talk about rumors but to address the thought that perhaps Markov is pricing himself out of the league.

Sheesh....

Uh, which I did address when I said I thought it was basically a negotiating tactic. It's a smokescreen. He'll sign in the NHL, and for less than $4 mil. But thanks for playing. IPB Image

Watching Ethan Moreau instigate a fight with Danny only to blow out his shoulder......priceless. Truth be told I don't want to see anybody hurt but that seemed like karma rearing its ugly head if you ask me.

That was one of my favorite goals from last season. And its the reason why I want Markov back. 3Mil, 3 years. Git 'er dun Kenny!

I love watching that video. 2 great hockey moments in a matter of seconds: A big hit and a nice deke for a score. Doesn't get much better than that folks

I really challenge somebody to find 2 more videos with Markov making similar hits. I could show a video of Lilja fighting - doesnt make him an enforcer.

And before anyone jumps on my back, I know Markov is a "physical" guy, but the only reason why he seems physical to Wings fans is because we have nothing else to compare him to. On 25 other teams in the league, Markov is AT BEST a middle-of-the-road physical presence.

Both the hit and the goal....

incredibly sickening in a good way.

In terms of Markov, he's just trying to find the best deal possible for himself, understandably so. I don't really keep up with player rumors in here like others, but I haven't heard any rumblings that he's seriously considering playing overseas or anything, but I could be wrong as I have little crediblity.

I hope he returns to the Wings. As good as Lilja was late season and in the playoffs, and as good as Quincey MIGHT be in a few years, RIGHT NOW I'd take Markov over those two without much hesitation. And with all due respect to Meech, to pick a guy who has played ONLY 4 NHL games over an experienced d-man like Markov who has had a respectable career is just ludicrous. I know we want to see young guys play, but let's get serious here.

People in here moan and complain all the time that the Wings aren't "physical". Markov provides this quality fairly well, and people don't want him to return to the Wings. Sometimes people make absolutely zero sense in here.

Holland knows what he's doing and isn't going to budge much higher than Markov's salary last year IMO. I hope Markov will lower his demands in time and return to the Wings. All is not lost if he doesn't return though.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Both the hit and the goal....

incredibly sickening in a good way.

In terms of Markov, he's just trying to find the best deal possible for himself, understandably so. I don't really keep up with player rumors in here like others, but I haven't heard any rumblings that he's seriously considering playing overseas or anything, but I could be wrong as I have little crediblity.

I hope he returns to the Wings. As good as Lilja was late season and in the playoffs, and as good as Quincey MIGHT be in a few years, RIGHT NOW I'd take Markov over those two without much hesitation. And with all due respect to Meech, to pick a guy who has played ONLY 4 NHL games over an experienced d-man like Markov who has had a respectable career is just ludicrous. I know we want to see young guys play, but let's get serious here.

People in here moan and complain all the time that the Wings aren't "physical". Markov provides this quality fairly well, and people don't want him to return to the Wings. Sometimes people make absolutely zero sense in here.

Holland knows what he's doing and isn't going to budge much higher than Markov's salary last year IMO. I hope Markov will lower his demands in time and return to the Wings. All is not lost if he doesn't return though.

you had a very good post and i've highlighted a key point. every other thread on this site is like "OMG OUR TEAM IS WEAK WE NEED GRIT!!!" and yes, i agree we could use some size,grit,toughness,etc. but we will make it guys. id say top 2 in the west easily. and now we are all discussing danny markov who plays an intimidating game and everyone is saying "OMFG 4 MIL!?!?! TAKE A HIKE!" and i agree that 4 million dollars is too much money for an unnecessary addition (we have more than enough defensemen, IMO) but if you want a tough a player, you gotta pay the money. Now I'm not saying that 4 million dollars is the price nor is Markov the player, but you have to pay to get quality hockey players (there are several exceptions to that statement) .

Another thing I've seen on this discussion is that some people are praising his physical play, overrating him, while others are under estimating what he brings to the ice. he is just a very reliable defenseman who will shut players down, move the puck and make the odd big hit. he's aggressive. by no means is he a powerplay type player. it just bothers me that people are all over the map on the judgements.

With the money he wants, I'd say forget it. Markov is not a 4 million dollar player. Just because Babcock played him with Lidstrom doesn't make him that.

You guys are all overated Markov so much, it's not even funny. He's not Garnet Exelby, so stop acting like he's laying out these bone crushing hits every game. The only time he really impressed me with physical play is his hot on Stoll that set up Datsyuk's goal, and his 2 fights against Petr Cajanek and Shawn Thornton. While the Cajanek fight didn't get very far, because Jeff Woywitka stepped in and broke it up, it was good to see Markov throw down the gloves pretty quickly like that.

Still, he's not worth 4 million. No defenseman on the current market is. I'd like to have Andy Sutton on the Wings, but he's asking for too much money also.

I'd like to wait and see if Sutton plans on lowering his asking price, since he's someone I really want. The Wings could really use a player like him, because he's big and plays physical on a consistant basis. Granted he does make mistakes, but I'm not asking him to be Nick Lidstrom. Rafalski can replace the defensive element left behind by Markov, and Sutton replaces the physical play.

This is all just what I hope for though. If Sutton doesn't lower his asking price also, I don't want him. He does make mistakes that don't warrent him the money he's asking. If he doesn't lower is pricetag, then I just assume play Quincey or Meech.