• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

What's up with Danny Markov

Rate this topic

With the money he wants, I'd say forget it. Markov is not a 4 million dollar player. Just because Babcock played him with Lidstrom doesn't make him that.

You guys are all overated Markov so much, it's not even funny. He's not Garnet Exelby, so stop acting like he's laying out these bone crushing hits every game. The only time he really impressed me with physical play is his hot on Stoll that set up Datsyuk's goal, and his 2 fights against Petr Cajanek and Shawn Thornton. While the Cajanek fight didn't get very far, because Jeff Woywitka stepped in and broke it up, it was good to see Markov throw down the gloves pretty quickly like that.

Still, he's not worth 4 million. No defenseman on the current market is. I'd like to have Andy Sutton on the Wings, but he's asking for too much money also.

I'd like to wait and see if Sutton plans on lowering his asking price, since he's someone I really want. The Wings could really use a player like him, because he's big and plays physical on a consistant basis. Granted he does make mistakes, but I'm not asking him to be Nick Lidstrom. Rafalski can replace the defensive element left behind by Markov, and Sutton replaces the physical play.

This is all just what I hope for though. If Sutton doesn't lower his asking price also, I don't want him. He does make mistakes that don't warrent him the money he's asking. If he doesn't lower is pricetag, then I just assume play Quincey or Meech.

Completely agree with this post. If theres one thing overrated about Markov from people on here, its his physicality. And like I said in an earlier post, the only reason Markov looks physical is because the Wings have no flashy physicality to compare him to. You want a physical defenseman? Look at Witt, Pronger, Regher, Exelby, Volchenkov, Vishnevski, etc. Markov is simply NOT THAT and his billing as our "physical defenseman" on the back end is a bit of a joke.

Also, about Sutton. If this guy lowers his pricetag, then THIS would be our big Dman. Like you said, he makes his mistakes, but one thing I like about him is that hes a stay at home Dman. Markov sometimes forgot he was on this team to play defense and got caught trying to make the rush.

Guest Crymson

Great Markov moment. Oh, and heck of a goal by Dats too.

Watching Ethan Moreau instigate a fight with Danny only to blow out his shoulder......priceless. Truth be told I don't want to see anybody hurt but that seemed like karma rearing its ugly head if you ask me.

Yes, and for all his supposed physicality that was about the only big hit he dealt all season. People act as if Markov IS our team's physicality; in reality, Kronwall hits more and harder than Markov does.

People in here moan and complain all the time that the Wings aren't "physical". Markov provides this quality fairly well, and people don't want him to return to the Wings. Sometimes people make absolutely zero sense in here.

Find me two big hits Markov laid outside the Stoll hit. After this, I'll find you five hundred times that Markov shied away from hits. The guy was so refusing to hit during game 6 against Anaheim that I wanted to smack him--he'd let the other guy get to the puck first, and then he'd move languidly toward the guy, and finally when the guy passed the puck Markov wouldn't even finish his hit. Forget that. He's nothing special.

It's pretty funny that people preach about Markov's physicality when we have Lilja, who costs $1m and is twice as physical as is Markov.

Edited by Crymson

Sutton is a complete pylon and has no real skills either. He hits, yeah, but it's hardly worth it. He's another Lilja (and I mean the regular Lilja, not the playing-over-his-head Lilja we saw for a while in the playoffs) only less mobile.

Lilja twice as physical as Markov? Man, we get pretty good stuff on the west coast generally, but damn, hook me up with some of whatever you're smoking. :crazy:

Markov is not worth $4 mil but he is a much better player than the other two, plays with snarl and poise, and consistently raises his game in the playoffs. Plus, he makes a great stay-at-home partner for Nick, who can then play his game without having to worry about covering his partner's ass. If we re-sign him, our defense is perhaps the best in the league when healthy (and we have a Hall of Famer in net)--defense wins championships.

I think he'll sign for less than $4m eventually, and hopefully with the Red Wings. He's got to know he won't have a better defense partner (or a guy who makes him look any better) than Nicklas Lidstrom anywhere he goes, and that his chances of winning a title are pretty good...

Sutton is a complete pylon and has no real skills either. He hits, yeah, but it's hardly worth it. He's another Lilja (and I mean the regular Lilja, not the playing-over-his-head Lilja we saw for a while in the playoffs) only less mobile.

That he is not. Sure, Sutton isn't a roadrunner on skates, but he brings other things to the table that Markov doesn't do. IE: hitting and fighting. Something our defense lacks right now as is.

Markov is not worth $4 mil but he is a much better player than the other two, plays with snarl and poise, and consistently raises his game in the playoffs.

I actually thought he got worse in the playoffs. He wasn't physical at all for long stretches.

Plus, he makes a great stay-at-home partner for Nick, who can then play his game without having to worry about covering his partner's ass.

The Wings just signed Brian Rafalski, who is better offensivly and defensivly then Markov. How is he not a suitable partner for Lidstrom?

I see it as this: why sign Markov to a ridiculous amount when we have guys that play the same style of game as he does? Why not use that money towards someone like Sutton, who is 20,000 times more physical than Markov? Or save that money for the trade deadline?

The Wings just signed Brian Rafalski, who is better offensivly and defensivly then Markov. How is he not a suitable partner for Lidstrom?

For the money he's getting paid, Rafalski had better be anchoring the second pairing instead of riding Nick's coattails all year. Markov is better suited to the role. And like I said, he is a much better player than Andy Sutton. I don't care if he's "more physical" by whatever silly rubric you're using, Markov is better at, you know, actually playing defense. Preventing goals. Playing positionally. Making outlet passes. Sutton is a pylon with no defensive zone awareness.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Uh, which I did address when I said I thought it was basically a negotiating tactic. It's a smokescreen. He'll sign in the NHL, and for less than $4 mil. But thanks for playing. IPB Image

Well then I'll disregard the first comment you made in your original post as just a brain fart on your part. :D

Yes, and for all his supposed physicality that was about the only big hit he dealt all season. People act as if Markov IS our team's physicality; in reality, Kronwall hits more and harder than Markov does.

Find me two big hits Markov laid outside the Stoll hit. After this, I'll find you five hundred times that Markov shied away from hits. The guy was so refusing to hit during game 6 against Anaheim that I wanted to smack him--he'd let the other guy get to the puck first, and then he'd move languidly toward the guy, and finally when the guy passed the puck Markov wouldn't even finish his hit. Forget that. He's nothing special.

It's pretty funny that people preach about Markov's physicality when we have Lilja, who costs $1m and is twice as physical as is Markov.

Oh I agree with you Crymson. He isn't a consistent deliverer of big hits. I just thought that was a great play all around so I posted the clip.

However, what I do like about Danny is that he's tough as nails. He isn't a big guy but he plays very hard. Every team he's been on people, players have commented about how "tough" he is. He doesn't fight much or very well for that matter but he was one of the few wings who when confronted last season would go ahead and drop the mits and at least defend himself.

Take his pure toughness and combine that with his very strong defensive zone play and for 2.7 mil, i'd take him back in a heartbeat.

However, what I do like about Danny is that he's tough as nails. He isn't a big guy but he plays very hard. Every team he's been on people, players have commented about how "tough" he is. He doesn't fight much or very well for that matter but he was one of the few wings who when confronted last season would go ahead and drop the mits and at least defend himself.

:thumbup: Quoted for truth. If we lose Markov someone Lillypads better step it up physically!

And as to the eye rolling about lilly's physicality. He lead the playoffs in hits.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

:thumbup: Quoted for truth. If we lose Markov someone Lillypads better step it up physically!

And as to the eye rolling about lilly's physicality. He lead the playoffs in hits.

Danny Markov averages 54 games a season in his 10 year NHL career. The most games hes every played is 72. If Im calling a Dman tough as nails, he better be able to play at least 80 games per.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Danny Markov averages 54 games a season in his 10 year NHL career. The most games hes every played is 72. If Im calling a Dman tough as nails, he better be able to play at least 80 games per.

Well, that's your opinion and basing it solely on games played leaves much to be desired IMO.

Chris Pronger has played fewer than 80 games 6 times in his career.

Other Notables. Number of seasons each has played 80 or more games:

Zdeno Chara 2 times

Ed Jovanovski 2 times

Barrett Jackman 1 time

Bryan Allen 1 time last season

Robyn Regehr 1 time

Anton Volchenkov 0 times

Steve Staois 2 times

Andy Sutton 0 times

Brendan Witt 1 time last season

Adam Foote 1 time

Nick Boynton 2 times

Chris Chelios 7 times in over 20 years

Rhett Warrener 0 times

Garnett Exelby 0 times

Colin White 1 time

Darius Kasparaitus 2 times

I don't think many people would argue against these guys as tough players. Now there were a number of players who suited up for 80 or more last year, some of them pretty tough players, some of them complete sissies. Using a games played number in and of itself doesn't take into account maybe a guy diving to block a puck and having his ankle broken or a guy missing games at the end of the year for rest purposes or missing games due to a death or other family related issue.

IMO, injuries and games missed can be an indicator of a players toughness or willingness to battle hard, fight, block 100mph shots, etc.....The more involved you get in the physical stuff the more you tend to get injured. I think Markov is a prime example of that. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

If you are basing that off a majority of one's career, that's pretty unrealistic. You have to be extremely durable AND EXTREMELY LUCKY to not have major injuries throughout your career other than a nik/bruise every now and then. Larry Murphy is a decent example of this, but he wasn't all that aggressive of a hitter or physical player, but he was able to play a very long career around 100% health.

That is incorrect. He has averaged 60 games per season in his career, including a rookie year when he only saw 25 games and missed a lot of time as a healthy scratch. He as averaged 64 games per season, and his career high is 78; In 2003-04 he played 44 with the Canes and 34 with the Flyers. Over the past three seasons, he has averaged 67 games played. By comparison, Chelios has averaged 74, but has probably played fewer total minutes.

Edited by eva unit zero