• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Yzerman as Leafs GM if Bowman becomes president

Rate this topic

If Steve Yzerman was offered the GM position in Toronto I hope he takes it. I think he would do an excellent job, his loyalty to our team has been more than proven. That being said he needs to think of his own career and to turn down an opportunity to be a GM with an original 6 team would be stupid. And out hurt feelings would heal.

I agree :( he will not step over toes of Nill or Holland, he is too respectful to do something like that. I think he deserves our loyalty to him now. He busted his ass and stuck by the wings throughout his career as a player. If a team is willing to give him a shot and he is too loyal to take it, he is being loyal to a fault.

If Steve goes to Toronto to be a GM, I say we take the number down. And I'm serious. Don't go giving me the "oh but he lead us to victory and he's an icon" speech either. He leaves the boat after all this time, then it doesn't mean anything to him or me.

But, he won't leave. So this post is pointless.

If Steve goes to Toronto to be a GM, I say we take the number down. And I'm serious. Don't go giving me the "oh but he lead us to victory and he's an icon" speech either. He leaves the boat after all this time, then it doesn't mean anything to him or me.

If Yzerman actually did leave to take a position with the Leafs, I doubt anyone within the Detroit organization would share your thoughts.

I hope speculation is all it is. It would just be devestating if he left the Wings organization. He's an icon here, and has been the face of the Red Wings for over 20 years. I just couldn't stand to see him go.

Guest jaytan

Why would either one of them head to the Leafs organization? I thought they enjoyed winning Cups.

If Yzerman actually did leave to take a position with the Leafs, I doubt anyone within the Detroit organization would share your thoughts.

Hence the end of my post that you left out. Since it won't happen, my opinion is moot. Wish more people around here would realize that as well on other issues that will never happen.

:lol: What are the Maple Leafs trying to rebuild their entire organization using Redwings? Bring back Jimmy D as an adviser, Howe as..... Maybe they will come to the Redwings and offer them too much to refuse for our entire front office!! Not so sure I believe this rumor. Seems far fetched I hope

:lol: What are the Maple Leafs trying to rebuild their entire organization using Redwings? Bring back Jimmy D as an adviser, Howe as..... Maybe they will come to the Redwings and offer them too much to refuse for our entire front office!! Not so sure I believe this rumor. Seems far fetched I hope

I agree. Now all the Leafs have to do is sign Fedorov and have him play defense.

The Toronto media are a bunch of jokers. I don't believe the Leafs would ever be willing to make the type of wide sweeping changes Bowman would demand. They are the Bush administration of Hockey. "Stay the Coarse" no mater what. Unless it's a yearly goalie change that is. And the part about Stevie is just goofy. Not gonna happen. Just like the Leaf's and the play-offs this season..Not gonna happen. What? Are Jason Blake & Toskala really supposed to turn things around for them. They'll be read to drop Toskala for the next available FA goalie next summer.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

YZERMAN TORONTO ahahahhaahhahahahaa aint gonna happen. i can see myself getting killed by a ant before yzerman leaves detroit

But, he won't leave. So this post is pointless.

Dude get real!!! You say take his number down because he may decide to go get a better job! What if Lidstrom leaves after next year and plays two years in Los Angeles and then retires, are you really gonna not retire his number! You should be banned from posting for two months for that comment!

But I do agree that I have a better chance at the job than Steve.

Edited by HuntsVegas Baby

I think since this was discussed on Sports Talk Radio on a round table show tells us all we need to know. It's a bunch of sports guys talking and getting carried away.

Scotty's 74, he's going no where. Also Scotty's to smart to get involved with Toronto. It realistically will take 5+ plus years to turn the organization around. He'd be 80 before the team shows signs of life. Scotty through out his career has been better suited to take a team to the next level, not build from scratch.

Stevie last year said he really knows nothing about being a GM, so why the hell would he go to Toronto and put up with those fans and the media? He'd be the first person to say "no thanks". I'm sure being a V.P. in Detroit is perfect for him. He can still be invloved in hockey but have plenty of time being with his family. Stevie isn't going anywhere for a while or ever.

Wow.

Put yourself in Yzermans shoes, why would you work against The Red Wings? Wouldn't that feel like shooting yourself in the foot? I mean serisously, The word "Yserman" and "Red Wings" are like synonyms.

I just can't comprehend Yzerman leaving the Red Wings.

Would i put money on this? Hell no. But remember, Yzerman's first loyalty is to Canada, not the Red Wings. The oppurtunity to become GM of the Leafs and turn their franchise into a winner is something i could definitely see him being intrigued with.

Would i put money on this? Hell no. But remember, Yzerman's first loyalty is to Canada, not the Red Wings. The oppurtunity to become GM of the Leafs and turn their franchise into a winner is something i could definitely see him being intrigued with.

Oh, I completely disagree with you! Yzerman's first loyalty is to the Red Wings. What would make you think otherwise?

Stevie has had so many opportunities to go to other teams over his career and he chose to stay here. When there were rumors of him being traded to Ottawa back in the summer of 1995, he said he would never play for a Canadian NHL team. Sure, he has played for Team Canada in international competition, but he is Canadian. Of course he's going to play for Canada. Just like Sergei played for Russia, Dom played for the Czech Republic, Nick played for Sweden, etc. And as for Stevie GM'ing Team Canada earlier this year, he did it knowing it was a temporary thing and that he'd be back with the Wings. Supposedly he told the Wings' brass that he wouldn't do it if they thought it was going to interfere too much with his Wings duties. Plus, he had Ken Holland on speed dial for advice and assistance, should he need it - which was Holland's idea.

He built his entire career around the Wings and has often said he has no intention of leaving. I have never read anything nor heard any part of an interview that would indicate Steve Yzerman has less than 100% loyalty to the Red Wings.

Oh, I completely disagree with you! Yzerman's first loyalty is to the Red Wings. What would make you think otherwise?

Stevie has had so many opportunities to go to other teams over his career and he chose to stay here. When there were rumors of him being traded to Ottawa back in the summer of 1995, he said he would never play for a Canadian NHL team. Sure, he has played for Team Canada in international competition, but he is Canadian. Of course he's going to play for Canada. Just like Sergei played for Russia, Dom played for the Czech Republic, Nick played for Sweden, etc. And as for Stevie GM'ing Team Canada earlier this year, he did it knowing it was a temporary thing and that he'd be back with the Wings. Supposedly he told the Wings' brass that he wouldn't do it if they thought it was going to interfere too much with his Wings duties. Plus, he had Ken Holland on speed dial for advice and assistance, should he need it - which was Holland's idea.

He built his entire career around the Wings and has often said he has no intention of leaving. I have never read anything nor heard any part of an interview that would indicate Steve Yzerman has less than 100% loyalty to the Red Wings.

What?! Are you sure he actually said that? That seems pretty far fetched. And i dont think theres any way humanly possible that he values Detroit more than Canada...

Remaining in Detroit as a player is one thing, after your career is over is another. Why shouldnt he pursue a chance for advancement?

There's a lot of people in Canada who hate the Leafs, so don't assume that they represent the entire country. His first loyalty is with the Wings, and not some has-been organization like the Leafs. Besides, Stevie is a smart guy, so I don't see him taking a dumb chance like that knowing that he has no prior experience as a GM. In Detroit he's treated like a God, but in Toronto he'd be criticized the same way everybody does there at the first sign of discontent.