• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Yzerman as Leafs GM if Bowman becomes president

Rate this topic

What?! Are you sure he actually said that? That seems pretty far fetched. And i dont think theres any way humanly possible that he values Detroit more than Canada...

Remaining in Detroit as a player is one thing, after your career is over is another. Why shouldnt he pursue a chance for advancement?

Yes, I am sure he said that. I don't have a copy of the interview anymore, but he did say he would not play for a Canadian team.

And why wouldn't he value Detroit over Canada? He's lived here a lot longer than he lived in Canada, his career is here, his kids were born and raised here, he's treated like a god here...his life, basically, is here. I'm not saying he has forgotten his roots, because he certainly hasn't, but he has chosen to stay in Detroit.

Based on statements made in past interviews, Stevie gives the impression that he does not want to work for any other organization and I believe Ilitch and TPTB don't want him going anywhere, either.

Of course that could change in, say, five years if Stevie gets itchy and there has been no change in the Wings' management, and none appearing on the horizon. But even in that possible situation I think the Wings would do what they could to keep Stevie on board. Maybe it would be enough, maybe it wouldn't, but IMO it would take a major falling-out between Stevie and the Wings to get him to want to leave.

Toronto's best season ever will always be 04-05 season!! remember that!!! :D

And Mike Vernon was gonna be the goalie coach, Gordie Howe was going to be the head of public relations and if Chelly decides to retire they'll make him one of the assistants. ;) Why is it every one from Toronto thinks that city is the Hockey Mecca? Should we once a day face Toronto and say a prayer to the hockey gods? Toronto blew last year and they will blow this year . It's like the smoking man from the x-files put a curse on them like he did the Bills, as long as he's alive, the Leafs will never win a cup.

IPB Image

Bowman was happy to be able to retire on top right after winning that last Cup. Unless the leafs gave him total control and alot of promises, I just can't see Scotty coming back to try and clean up that mess. As for Stevie going? That is not even worth typing a response. It's just not happening.

No Way.

How can Yzerman be 'eager' to jump into a GM position. Its been ONE YEAR since he retired. We've seen the guys patience for the last 20 years, this would be so out of character on so many levels.

The only team I could see him being a part of sometime down the road would be Ottawa. I'm talkin' decades here.

What?! Are you sure he actually said that? That seems pretty far fetched. And i dont think theres any way humanly possible that he values Detroit more than Canada...

As far as career ties go? You bet.

And this is really what it's all about, not which city or nation he loves more. You don't spend 20+ deliberate years with a city and then hike back to your home country "just because it's Canada". He's built his professional life here, not in his homeland.

but IMO it would take a major falling-out between Stevie and the Wings to get him to want to leave.

Q F T

Guest Shoreline

I don't see Stevie doing this. But I'm not going to put my foot in my mouth and say it isn't possible. I'll just say it would seem far too soon for him to jump ship.

However, Scotty Bowman going to the Leafs is not something I'd put past him. He does deserve other or greater opportunities (considering the lack of them in Detroit since they're taken), and he's already certainly left his mark on the Wings organization. If anything I'm grateful for the help to the Wings he's been.

Its probably been said, but i'll say it as my own.

Steve obviously has a love for the city. As has been mentioned, I dont think he would have remained in Detroit if he didn't like it. He was treated Very well in Detroit, and he gave everything he ever had for the team and city. As far as the NHL is concerned, atleast for the next handful of years, I dont think any opportunity would take Steve away.

If you are saying he wants to fast-track his position to GM, well, he stepped into a pretty sweet position right out of retirement. I bet he's loving every second of it.

And if you are talking loyalty to Canada, he can and will continue to prove that on the world stage. Steve will have many chances to GM national teams for World Championships, World Cups, and possibly even Olympics.

One day Steve may be able to take the reins in Detroit, and I'd love to see him do it. But for now, I think he's happy where he is.

Guest Yzer19

Yes, I am sure he said that. I don't have a copy of the interview anymore, but he did say he would not play for a Canadian team.

And why wouldn't he value Detroit over Canada? He's lived here a lot longer than he lived in Canada, his career is here, his kids were born and raised here, he's treated like a god here...his life, basically, is here. I'm not saying he has forgotten his roots, because he certainly hasn't, but he has chosen to stay in Detroit.

Based on statements made in past interviews, Stevie gives the impression that he does not want to work for any other organization and I believe Ilitch and TPTB don't want him going anywhere, either.

Of course that could change in, say, five years if Stevie gets itchy and there has been no change in the Wings' management, and none appearing on the horizon. But even in that possible situation I think the Wings would do what they could to keep Stevie on board. Maybe it would be enough, maybe it wouldn't, but IMO it would take a major falling-out between Stevie and the Wings to get him to want to leave.

I remember an interview with Yzerman saying something about not wanting to play for a Canadian team, but that was a long time ago.

You hit the nail on the head with your second paragraph. It just doesn't make sense for him to leave Detroit after he spent his entire playing career here. Why play for over 20+ years with one team just to take a management position with another team?

I would also hope that Ilitch would do whatever it takes to keep him in Detroit. Why would he let his biggest jersey and memorabilia seller just leave? I can't see Ilitch just sitting back and allowing Toronto to steal Yzerman.

If Steve goes to Toronto to be a GM, I say we take the number down. And I'm serious. Don't go giving me the "oh but he lead us to victory and he's an icon" speech either. He leaves the boat after all this time, then it doesn't mean anything to him or me.

But, he won't leave. So this post is pointless.

I don't know about this. Yzerman spent 22 years playing with the Wings, it wouldn't be right to take down his number. There are players that played on different teams that still get their numbers retired. Even Howe left the Wings and finished his career with another team. The Wings still left his number up there. I just think it would be wrong to see someone else wearing the #19.

I would be more upset with the Wings if Yzerman left because chances are if he did leave it would either because they didn't treat him properly or they didn't do whatever was necessary to keep Yzerman here. IMO Yzerman deserves to stay with the Wings more than anyone other management person.

Edited by Yzer19

Would i put money on this? Hell no. But remember, Yzerman's first loyalty is to Canada, not the Red Wings. The oppurtunity to become GM of the Leafs and turn their franchise into a winner is something i could definitely see him being intrigued with.

I don't agree 100% with the prevailing opinion that Stevie CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY is a Red Wing first and CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY just absolutely LOVES Detroit, because we're all Wing fans here and of course we think that. But.....being that Stevie is a dual citizen, having attained his American citizenship a few years ago, I think that's at least some proof that "Red Wing for life" does extend past his playing career. After all, he spent almost 20 years as a Canadian citizen living in Detroit and only with a couple years left in his playing career did he become a citizen. Why wait so long, if he didn't intend to stick around?

Guest Yzer19

BetterRedthandead, I guess the way I see it is if Yzerman is not a Red Wing first and he doesn't love Detroit, then why has he chose to stay here for so long. This will be his 25th year with the Red Wings. That's along time for someone to stay with one organization. It doesn't make any sense for him to leave after all that time. He knows everything about the Wings team even the prospects and the system. Why would Yzerman bother with learning about the prospects and the system if he has no intention of staying? He should be learning about the team he plans to take a job with, not the Red Wings. I'm still not sure that Ilitch would let Yzerman leave? Why let him be trained by the best possible management team just so he can leave and build some other team into a championship team? That doesn't make sense to me. Yzerman has had many opportunities to play for a Canadian team in the end of his career, but he didn't. He decided to stay with the Wings. He could've went to a very talented Ottawa team and helped them win a cup. He would've been an even bigger icon in Ottawa than he is in Detroit if he had lead Ottawa to a cup.

I have one more comment on the idea of unretiring Yzerman's number if he leaves. If the Wings do unretire his number because he leaves then I don't want Lidstrom's number retired or any of the other players that played on the team with Yzerman in the modern era (Feds, Shanny, Cheli, Hasek, Datsyuk, Zetts, etc.). It wouldn't be right for them to have their numbers retired and not Yzerman. I'm not sure that I'd even want the other 5 numbers hanging in the rafters either. The only one up there that never left the Wings for another team would be Delvecchio.

BetterRedthandead, I guess the way I see it is if Yzerman is not a Red Wing first and he doesn't love Detroit, then why has he chose to stay here for so long. This will be his 25th year with the Red Wings. That's along time for someone to stay with one organization. It doesn't make any sense for him to leave after all that time. He knows everything about the Wings team even the prospects and the system. Why would Yzerman bother with learning about the prospects and the system if he has no intention of staying? He should be learning about the team he plans to take a job with, not the Red Wings. I'm still not sure that Ilitch would let Yzerman leave? Why let him be trained by the best possible management team just so he can leave and build some other team into a championship team? That doesn't make sense to me. Yzerman has had many opportunities to play for a Canadian team in the end of his career, but he didn't. He decided to stay with the Wings. He could've went to a very talented Ottawa team and helped them win a cup. He would've been an even bigger icon in Ottawa than he is in Detroit if he had lead Ottawa to a cup.

QFT. I mean, the situation Stevie is in with the Wings is kind of like a college graduate going to work for the top company in his field, in a high-executive position, right after graduation. The Wings are widely considered one of, if not the best organization, in the NHL. You already work for the best - why leave a plum position to go work for something far less superior (and uncertain)?

I have one more comment on the idea of unretiring Yzerman's number if he leaves. If the Wings do unretire his number because he leaves then I don't want Lidstrom's number retired or any of the other players that played on the team with Yzerman in the modern era (Feds, Shanny, Cheli, Hasek, Datsyuk, Zetts, etc.). It wouldn't be right for them to have their numbers retired and not Yzerman. I'm not sure that I'd even want the other 5 numbers hanging in the rafters either. The only one up there that never left the Wings for another team would be Delvecchio.

You got that right. If the day does come that Stevie leaves the Wings organization (whatever the reason would be), there is NO WAY the Wings should take down and "unretire" his number. That number was retired based on everything Steve Yzerman did for the Wings while he was a player on the ice. No one can argue the fact that he is one of the greatest hockey players of his generation. That won't change. Whatever happens after that should have no bearing on his number remaining retired or not.