• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Devils sign Arron Asham

Rate this topic

honestly signing maltby for 3 more years was a huge mistake. we have plenty of guys who can kill penalty's Franzen, draper, hank, dats, filpula, cleary the list goes on. Would much rather have asham than maltby, maltby is just taking up a roster spot IMO.

Guest snowman89

Plus even if the Wings have a few lean years, let the team pile up some draft picks for the best drafting staff in the NHL

Quoted for truth."

And the comment of piling up draft picks is ok, if you consider the average turnaround from draft to day to actual NHL readiness is 5-7 years, and thats for the ones who even see the league which the majority do not.

Note: I said they may have a few lean years, I am pretty sure that means I know that draft picks take a while to develop and dont you think your being a little over dramatic 2-5 years is average readiness, Most guys that take more than 5 years to get to the NHL are not going to be more than role players.

HAHAHA more like quoted from someone who is more or less not very informed on NHL players outside the Red Wings franchise. Second Asham took the paycut not because he is a cancer or Avery clone, he is actually drawn nothing but praise from past coaches and teamates, however he took the paycut to go to a contender which the Islanders are not (if you look at them they are arguably setting up to be the worst in the NHL).

If believing that makes you able to sleep at night, I suppose you are right.

honestly signing maltby for 3 more years was a huge mistake. we have plenty of guys who can kill penalty's Franzen, draper, hank, dats, filpula, cleary the list goes on. Would much rather have asham than maltby, maltby is just taking up a roster spot IMO.

signing maltby wouldn't have been a bad thing if they were willing to trade him. But since packaging our 3/4 liners to fill needs, here's to hoping that one of the kids can make the final step to the second line. :drunk:

u guys shouldnt keep tryin to send out vets outa town, theyve been with the orginization so long and will retire in a few years...just let em retire here

Many dont understand that sometimes an organization has to do things from a business perspective. The majority of Wings fans on this board are very informed, but the majority of Wings fans IN GENERAL arent. And Im willing to bet there would be a TON of people up in arms about the Wings trading away Maltby. Whoever remains on the Wings from the "glory days" (i.e. cup winning years) will remain a Wing for the rest of their career since there are so few left. Expect Draper and Homer to stay til theyre retired too.

Many dont understand that sometimes an organization has to do things from a business perspective. The majority of Wings fans on this board are very informed, but the majority of Wings fans IN GENERAL arent. And Im willing to bet there would be a TON of people up in arms about the Wings trading away Maltby. Whoever remains on the Wings from the "glory days" (i.e. cup winning years) will remain a Wing for the rest of their career since there are so few left. Expect Draper and Homer to stay til theyre retired too.

While I agree with the jist of what you're saying, in someone like Maltby's case, if say, a fighter were thrown on the 4th line in his spot i can guarantee you he'd be forgotten quickly. Lets say, just hypothetically, that NJ had no room for Cam Janssen and traded him to us. His populararity would so far exceed Kirk's that it would make sense from a business perspective as well. Now will this happen? Of course not, but just sayin..

Guest Crymson

While I agree with the jist of what you're saying, in someone like Maltby's case, if say, a fighter were thrown on the 4th line in his spot i can guarantee you he'd be forgotten quickly. Lets say, just hypothetically, that NJ had no room for Cam Janssen and traded him to us. His populararity would so far exceed Kirk's that it would make sense from a business perspective as well. Now will this happen? Of course not, but just sayin..

The oldies sell tickets. People know them.

yea maybe Yzerman/Chelios/Hasek... not Maltby... Cam Janssen would definitely rejuvenate a ton of Red Wing's fans

Yep, just what i was about to say.

yea maybe Yzerman/Chelios/Hasek... not Maltby... Cam Janssen would definitely rejuvenate a ton of Red Wing's fans

Definitly. It'd give people a reason to actually go to these monday night matchups against Columbus.

I can see it now... Janssen and Jody Shelley both knocking the crap out of each other... the JLA crowd then comes alive with excitement... *wakes up suddenly* Oh, sorry, I was just having a good dream. Sorry for getting ahead of myself. :hehe:

Edited by Kp-Wings

Definitly. It'd give people a reason to actually go to these monday night matchups against Columbus.

I can see it now... Janssen and Jody Shelley both knocking the crap out of each other... the JLA crowd then comes alive with excitement... *wakes up suddenly* Oh, sorry, I was just having a good dream. Sorry for getting ahead of myself. :hehe:

Fights between good players are fun, but fights between crappy fringe players.......................snooze.

Fights between good players are fun, but fights between crappy fringe players.......................snooze.

When I'm watching a fight, I could care less if the players fighting are also 30 goals scorers. That's pretty irrelevant during an actual fight.

Janssen and Shelley are both great fighters, so I think it'd be an interesting matchup. I'm not sure those two have fought before, because Columbus and New Jersey never play each other.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest Crymson

lol.

Guest Crymson

fans come to see Maltby? or Janssen wouldn't get the Joe pumped from time to time?

I'm sure he might manage to disgust them with such goonery as he displayed by his inexcusable hit on Tomas Kaberle this season.

Edited by Crymson

I'm sure he might manage to disgust them with such goonery as he displayed by his inexcusable hit on Tomas Kaberle this season.

Do you really think that's going to bother anyone?

Look at what happened when Bertuzzi was traded to the Wings. What he did to Steve Moore was "inexcusable", but that didn't stop the fans from buying Bertuzzi jersey's.

Whether you like those type of players or not is totally irrelevant: the majority of Wings fans do.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest Crymson

Look at what happened when Bertuzzi was traded to the Wings. What he did to Steve Moore was "inexcusable", but that didn't stop the fans from buying Bertuzzi jersey's.

Whether you like those type of players or not is totally irrelevant: the majority of Wings fans do.

I'll be impressed if you've managed to survey the majority of Wings fans.

Oh please. Another smart-ass comment.

Most fans are the same way... they like fighting. For some reason, you don't. I don't know "the majority of Wings fans" but I highly doubt they'd turn away Cam Janssen because of something he did to a player on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He has done nothing to anyone on the Red Wings over the course of his career, so I don't how most people (other than you) would have a reason to hate him.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I can't speak for thousands of other Wings fans if they like "those type of players" or not, but you are spot on with how Bertuzzi was treated here more often than not during his brief stint here.

I can bet a lot of Wings fans might probably warm up if disliked opponents such as Jarome Iginla or even the most hated man since Napoleon Bonaparte's times, Chris Pronger, were with the Red Wings. Hypothetical examples of course, I'm not suggesting or rumoring these players are coming to the Wings.

Just like any other professional team you follow tooth/nail, you eventually gain a soft spot for a hated guy from a former team due to a change in uniform, more often than not.

EDIT: As for fighting, of course I like your normal one-on-one fight in a hockey game, they definitely make the game a bit more entertaining. I've said that plenty of times in here. I just don't put as much emphasis of fighting itself as one of the more important reasons in obtaining a player or as one of the more important aspects of a hockey game. Especially with this team at it's current state of players, because they already have decent depth of 3rd/4th liners (regardless of whether they drop the gloves or not). That's why I'm not itching for a lower-line guy who will just primarily fight and play just 4 minutes a game, but only contribute 4 goals a year.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Oh please. Another smart-ass comment.

Most fans are the same way... they like fighting. For some reason, you don't. I don't know "the majority of Wings fans" but I highly doubt they'd turn away Cam Janssen because of something he did to a player on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He has done nothing to anyone on the Red Wings over the course of his career, so I don't how most people (other than you) would have a reason to hate him.

That Kaberle plays on the Leafs is quite irrelevant. The fact that he hasn't done anything to a RW player doesn't matter - I still don't like him and the edge he has. Nevertheless he might be a decent fit in Detroit - I certainly wouldn't mind having a "good" fighter on the team. But some of you people overephasize this, I want a player who stands up for himself and his team, not a pure fighter - damn I miss Shanny!

I can bet a lot of Wings fans might probably warm up if disliked opponents such as Jarome Iginla or even the most hated man since Napoleon Bonaparte's times, Chris Pronger, were with the Red Wings. Hypothetical examples of course, I'm not suggesting or rumoring these players are coming to the Wings.

Just like any other professional team you follow tooth/nail, you eventually gain a soft spot for a hated guy from a former team due to a change in uniform, more often than not.

Agreed. I'd actually like Pronger playing for the RW - I'd still hate him, he's just one of those guys, but I certainly wouldn't say no.

EDIT: As for fighting, of course I like your normal one-on-one fight in a hockey game, they definitely make the game a bit more entertaining. I've said that plenty of times in here. I just don't put as much emphasis of fighting itself as one of the more important reasons in obtaining a player or as one of the more important aspects of a hockey game. Especially with this team at it's current state of players, because they already have decent depth of 3rd/4th liners (regardless of whether they drop the gloves or not). That's why I'm not itching for a lower-line guy who will just primarily fight and play just 4 minutes a game, but only contribute 4 goals a year.

Exactly. As much as I'd want a 2nd line winger right now - or any 2nd line player - this team seems set right now. I think they're going to give the young ones a chance and hopefully they'll bloom.

You know, to only see 1 fight every 3 months is getting pretty annoying at this point.

Man, talk about living in the past. I highly suggest you get NHL Center Ice then, and tune in for every Ducks game, will that make you happy? Jayzus, what a caveman. Wings haven't been about fighting for some time. Accept the team Holland assembles, and be happy they are a perennial contender. f***.

Man, talk about living in the past. I highly suggest you get NHL Center Ice then, and tune in for every Ducks game, will that make you happy? Jayzus, what a caveman. Wings haven't been about fighting for some time. Accept the team Holland assembles, and be happy they are a perennial contender. f***.

What the hell is that about?

Sorry, I'm not a blind homer that sits around and makes loves to Ken Holland autographed posters like some around here. Just because I don't think the team is perfect, that doesn't make me a fan?

I'm tired of the bulls*** "you're not a fan" comments that I get around here, because I question Ken Holland, and I want more fighting. Half of this board feels the same way I do, and I don't see you bitching at them.

No, I don't accept the team Holland assembles. Neither do other people for that matter. Grow up and stop bitching because I don't like Ken Holland.

What the hell is that about?

Sorry, I'm not a blind homer that sits around and makes loves to Ken Holland autographed posters like some around here. Just because I don't think the team is perfect, that doesn't make me a fan?

I'm tired of the bulls*** "you're not a fan" comments that I get around here, because I question Ken Holland, and I want more fighting. Half of this board feels the same way I do, and I don't see you bitching at them.

No, I don't accept the team Holland assembles. Neither do other people for that matter. Grow up and stop bitching because I don't like Ken Holland.

What if last year's team of "non-fighters" won the Cup? Would you feel differently about the assembled team? I know they didn't, but you got to admit, they were probably just two awful breaks away from at least going to the SCF, so it's probably a realistic question. The series loss to Anaheim had nothing or very little to do with the Wings not fighting or questioning their toughness. Plus they beat San Jose and Calgary that were supposed to run them out the building physically. I'm not questioning your loyalty/fan-o-meter to the Red Wings at all Kp, but I think a little too much emphasis is being put on fights.

Guest Crymson

Why do you continually speak as if you are the authority on such matters?

Most fans are the same way... they like fighting. For some reason, you don't.