• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Forsberg

Rate this topic

We have quite a few veteran players left from the Avs/Wings rivalry, yes the rivalry is dead but do any of you honestly think that he will ever fit in as a Wing? ever belong wearing the winged-wheel? And that's not even mentioning his injuries, he certainly isn't worth 4 million.

We have quite a few veteran players left from the Avs/Wings rivalry, yes the rivalry is dead but do any of you honestly think that he will ever fit in as a Wing? ever belong wearing the winged-wheel? And that's not even mentioning his injuries, he certainly isn't worth 4 million.

Quite a few is a stretch. From 1997, the only guys left on this team from then are Lidstrom, Draper, Holmstrom, Maltby, and Osgood. That was the last time the rivalry was actually "heated". From 2002, which was the last time the rivalry had any relevancy at all, you can add Chelios and Hasek to that list.

Honestly: the guys we have left probably don't hate Forsberg that much. The Wings no longer have the guys that truely hated him: McCarty, Kocur, Lapointe, even Larionov got into with Forsberg quite a bit. Those guys are all gone now, and the ones left really didn't fight Forsberg like the other guys I mentioned did.

Nonetheless, I don't want Forsberg anyways. I have my reasons.

Edited by Kp-Wings

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

Naslund reaches out to old pal Forsberg

ERIC DUHATSCHEK

From Friday's Globe and Mail

August 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM EDT

VANCOUVER  First, the good news on the status of Peter Forsberg, the most coveted free agent still on the open market:

Forsberg apparently is healing well from the latest round of surgery he had on his problematic ankles back in June. He played two charity exhibition games in early August in Sweden and apparently came through reasonably pleased with how his foot responded.

However, Forsberg has been deliberately non-committal about his future, playing his cards close to the vest, even from close friends such as Markus Naslund of the Vancouver Canucks.

Naslund yesterday told the Vancouver radio station CKNW that he's trying to coax Forsberg into returning to the NHL and to join the Canucks this season  a move that would reunite the two former junior stars from Ornskoldsvik, Sweden.

According to Swedish ice hockey sources, a number of NHL teams have made inquiries about Forsberg's health, but have not received any indication as to what he plans to do in the coming season.

The most pressing issue remains his health.

Forsberg was adamant when the 2006-07 season ended that he would not sign a contract with any team  in Sweden or the NHL  until he could be certain his troublesome ankle would stand up to the rigours of a full season.

Forsberg was limited to only 57 games last season, split between the Philadelphia Flyers and Nashville Predators, as he sought a skate that would properly support his surgically repaired ankles, with only fair-to-middling results.

Naslund repeated to CKNW what he told reporters in Sweden: that he's lobbying Forsberg to come play in Vancouver, which has a heavy concentration of Swedish players, including the Sedin twins, who are also from his hometown.

"I'm sure there is lots of interest in [Forsberg]," Naslund said. "We'll see where he ends up. I think his main focus right now is trying to get healthy with his foot and after that he'll make a decision."

Forsberg is an unrestricted free agent and those close to him suggest that a priority, if he decides to play, is the chance to compete for another Stanley Cup. The Canucks represent a possible destination, although they may run into salary-cap issues in trying to get him signed.

A more intriguing destination might be his former team, the Colorado Avalanche, which missed the playoffs last season, but were the NHL's hottest team over the final quarter of the season and signed two significant free agents, left winger Ryan Smyth and defenceman Scott Hannan, in the summer.

The Avalanche would have less difficulty than the Canucks or the Ottawa Senators, another rumoured suitor, in fitting Forsberg's contract into their payroll.

The 12-year NHL veteran has scored 871 points (248 goals) in 697 regular-season games. In addition to two Stanley Cup titles with Colorado, Forsberg has won the 1995 Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's top rookie and the 2003 Hart Trophy (league MVP) and 2003 Art Ross Trophy (top scorer).

Guest jaytan

Bertuzzi in his prime (which, unfortunately seems to have ended and therefore was a lot shorter than forsberg's prime) was better than forsberg in his, in my all-knowing, undeniable and inarguable opinion.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Bertuzzi in his prime (which, unfortunately seems to have ended and therefore was a lot shorter than forsberg's prime) was better than forsberg in his, in my all-knowing, undeniable and inarguable opinion.

This prime that your talking about must be in the one 2002 playoff sereies. Other than that Forsberg was and always will be a much more taletned player.

Quite a few is a stretch. From 1997, the only guys left on this team from then are Lidstrom, Draper, Holmstrom, Maltby, and Osgood. That was the last time the rivalry was actually "heated". From 2002, which was the last time the rivalry had any relevancy at all, you can add Chelios and Hasek to that list.

Honestly: the guys we have left probably don't hate Forsberg that much. The Wings no longer have the guys that truely hated him: McCarty, Kocur, Lapointe, even Larionov got into with Forsberg quite a bit. Those guys are all gone now, and the ones left really didn't fight Forsberg like the other guys I mentioned did.

Nonetheless, I don't want Forsberg anyways. I have my reasons.

I was not intending that those players who are left hated him, i was just simply stating that he will never fit in as a Red Wing.

In our current state (depleted of a solid second line, that is) I am welcoming Forsberg with open arms. Even if he only plays 50 games he will be an asset to the team for those 50 games, and definitely come playoffs. Remember, we know how to treat old, feeble players right (see Hasek)

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Forsberg on the Wings?

Right after they sign Big E, Trade for Raycroft, and get Morozov to come back from Russia. :P

Morozov would without a doubt be a top 20 player if he came to the nhl right now. Have you seen his superleauge stats? Ungodly, averaging almost twice as much as Alex Ovechkin was averaging.

Morozov would without a doubt be a top 20 player if he came to the nhl right now. Have you seen his superleauge stats? Ungodly, averaging almost twice as much as Alex Ovechkin was averaging.

He only said that because Morozov has hinted thousands of times that he is coming back from Russia, only not to. Morozov is a good player, but for some reason wants nothing to do with the NHL.

Top 20 of what? He'd be lucky if he was even 1 of the top 20 Russian players in the NHL. Who cares what his superleague stats are as compared to the NHL? The competition isn't as high.

Top 20 of what? He'd be lucky if he was even 1 of the top 20 Russian players in the NHL. Who cares what his superleague stats are as compared to the NHL? The competition isn't as high.

idk dude, as much as i want russian hockey to become great again. i just don't see the talent they use to have

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The RSL is a far lower scoring league. Alexander Ovechkin One year prior to scoring 50 goals scored around 40 points in 50ish games. Morozov Scored 80 in 40. Thats pretty good.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

You imagine if he did come to the Wings and didn't even do anything for us, I think the fans would end up lynching him. Most people on the board already hate him and if he couldn't even produce it would be insane.

You imagine if he did come to the Wings and didn't even do anything for us, I think the fans would end up lynching him. Most people on the board already hate him and if he couldn't even produce it would be insane.

And conversely, if Forsberg hypothetically signed with the Wings and did well, I think it's a safe bet people would be drooling and going ga-ga over him, in spite of the "history" with the Avalanche. Not a lot of people were fond of Bertuzzi for obvious reasons (don't want to get into the debate on how wrong he is or him vs. Moore etc.), but whatever biterness most people had with, or still might have with, Bertuzzi was put aside when he put a Wings jersey on.

And conversely, if Forsberg hypothetically signed with the Wings and did well, I think it's a safe bet people would be drooling and going ga-ga over him, in spite of the "history" with the Avalanche. Not a lot of people were fond of Bertuzzi for obvious reasons (don't want to get into the debate on how wrong he is or him vs. Moore etc.), but whatever biterness most people had with, or still might have with, Bertuzzi was put aside when he put a Wings jersey on.

Why would any Wings fan have hated Bertuzzi as much as we hate Forsberg? As for what he brings to the table, fans know about his injury troubles and we don't want that here. How often in any sport does a guy with a history of injuries all of a sudden get rid of the injury bug and stay healthy from then on out? Practically never.

Why would any Wings fan have hated Bertuzzi as much as we hate Forsberg? As for what he brings to the table, fans know about his injury troubles and we don't want that here. How often in any sport does a guy with a history of injuries all of a sudden get rid of the injury bug and stay healthy from then on out? Practically never.

More of a general comparison, you hate player ABC or XYZ b/c he's with another team or something bad that he did with another team, but if he plays for your team, you soften your stance a bit.