• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ashenden

Center Ice

Rate this topic

I've been searching around past threads, but can't seem to locate what seems to be a fairly straightforward question. Are the Wings games available in HD on Center Ice through Comcast? I'm pretty sure FSN Detroit broadcasts the games in HD, I'm just not sure if the HD broadcast is available through Center Ice.

I'm contemplating a move to a HD television, and if I can't see the Wings in HD on a regular basis, I'm not wasting my money.

I'm in Portland, OR if that's helpful at all.

Thanks!

I've been searching around past threads, but can't seem to locate what seems to be a fairly straightforward question. Are the Wings games available in HD on Center Ice through Comcast? I'm pretty sure FSN Detroit broadcasts the games in HD, I'm just not sure if the HD broadcast is available through Center Ice.

I'm contemplating a move to a HD television, and if I can't see the Wings in HD on a regular basis, I'm not wasting my money.

I'm in Portland, OR if that's helpful at all.

Thanks!

Dont expect HD Wings games on a regular basis. Maybe once or twice a month.

Are the Wings games available in HD on Center Ice through Comcast?

I've been using NHL Center Ice for at least four years now and I can honestly tell you for a person stuck in southwestern Pennsylvania (displaced from Detroit) that regardless of the HD quality of the video, Center Ice is a Godsend for a hockey depleted area. Nobody here knows anything about hockey, it gets 0% attention (even with Sid the Crybaby here), and it's simply a joke. When we got Center Ice, it was like opening Christmas presents for an entire hockey season.

That being said, however, I do not believe the games are always offered in HD. In fact, I don't think they are offered at all in HD. I personally have two HD tvs and have watched Wings games on NBCHD and personally if anything, it's harder to follow all the action when pumped out in HD. The other issue is that it is a total roll of the dice if you're gonna see the Mickey feed from FSN Detroit or if you're gonna see some other team's feed. Normally it follows along with whoever has home ice...but that isn't always the case.

Anyway...hope my bantering has assisted you if even a little bit.

All home games for the Red Wings were in HD last year on FSN Detroit. Since you live in Portland, that doesn't really help out any since I'm not sure if Center Ice is an HD feed. Another thing is you don't always get the FSN Detroit feed for the game on Center Ice. You may get an HD feed every handful of games or so, but I wouldn%2

Guest nutz2u

We used to get all of the FSD feeds until this last season when Versus took over. Now you never know what your going to get and man some of the announcers are auful. If anyone thinks Mickey and Ken are homers, Listen to some of the other TV teams :puke: some of them are so bad I just watch with the sound turned off.

I don't know about comcast. However this will be my 9th season with CenterIce through DirecTv. But it will be my 1st season with HD. And from what I understand the majority of all teams games will be broadcast in HD. I guess I will find out soon. (Just not soon enough) Either way CenterIce is truely a life saver for me.

I've been using NHL Center Ice for at least four years now and I can honestly tell you for a person stuck in southwestern Pennsylvania (displaced from Detroit) that regardless of the HD quality of the video, Center Ice is a Godsend for a hockey depleted area. Nobody here knows anything about hockey, it gets 0% attention (even with Sid the Crybaby here), and it's simply a joke. When we got Center Ice, it was like opening Christmas presents for an entire hockey season.

That being said, however, I do not believe the games are always offered in HD. In fact, I don't think they are offered at all in HD. I personally have two HD tvs and have watched Wings games on NBCHD and personally if anything, it's harder to follow all the action when pumped out in HD. The other issue is that it is a total roll of the dice if you're gonna see the Mickey feed from FSN Detroit or if you're gonna see some other team's feed. Normally it follows along with whoever has home ice...but that isn't always the case.

Anyway...hope my bantering has assisted you if even a little bit.

I got Center Ice last year through Comcast and it was a beautiful thing. I really like it and will get it regardless. I guess my question is, if FSN Detroit is broadcasting in HD, will I get it here in Portland? Is Center Ice a HD broadcaster? Or will the only games I see in HD be VS. and NBC/ESPN? Also, why is it harder to follow the action in HD? Thanks.

I guess my question is, if FSN Detroit is broadcasting in HD, will I get it here in Portland? Is Center Ice a HD broadcaster?

This sounds more like a question you should be asking your local cable company. Give them a call.

All home games for the Red Wings were in HD last year on FSN Detroit. Since you live in Portland, that doesn't really help out any since I'm not sure if Center Ice is an HD feed. Another thing is you don't always get the FSN Detroit feed for the game on Center Ice. You may get an HD feed every handful of games or so, but I wouldn%2

This is true. I live in Ontario and have the Centre Ice Package and I would say that you'd get close to 30 Wings home-games in HD.

Almost every home Avalance, Kings and Pens game was in HD too.

IMHO, the C.I.P. is well worth the money and you'll get more than your share of HD games. In fact, from the first season after the lockout to last season, the amount of games broadcast in HD jumped considerably.

Iffin' I can jump in here for a question...

I'm considering cable w/Center Ice (if the arse clowns offer it) OR Direct/Dish w/FSD (from the "sports pac" option). I don't have either and I don't have an HDTV, so that means beans to me right now. What I'm hoping to see is a metric buttload of Wings games and coverage. Either system (cable or Direct/Dish) will work for me - it really just comes down to access to Wings games and GENERAL NHL coverage.

Considering I primarily want to watch Wings games, and everything else is a wash, which would you choose? Cable with Center Ice or Dish/Direct with the Fox Sports pacakge (including FS Detroit)?

Curious.....

Good question.

#1 - What cable co. is in your area? Chances are they will offer Center Ice - however both Direct TV, & DISH Network are nation wide so there won't be an issue concerning it's availability.

#2 - Pricing; both satellite co. offer similar packages (basic/mid level/premium) for a similar price (give or take $3 to $5 per month)...Now IMO the rates for most cable networks seem to be a bit higher - or so that is what I've found.

#3 - Service; local cable has it's advantages - no issues with rain/snow hampering the picture, & somebody nearby is available...Then again in the past year I can honestly say only 2, or 3 times has my DISH Network set-up lost the signal due to heavy rain (late @ night with no game on btw), & in my case the nice folks whom provided my set-up are only 10 minutes away, & are available for any service/repairs - so the whole "nobody is around to help you with your satellite issues" is total B.S... To add to that the Charter Cable offered here is horrible (picture/sound/service) not to mention Charter Cable discontinued VERSUS 2 days before the playoffs began :thumbdown:

#4 - Odds/Ends; Cable networks offer 1 feed (either home team feed, or the away team feed - the choice isn't yours)...With the DISH Network Center Ice package I get both home/away feeds, & sometimes a 3rd feed as well (usually TSN, or Rogers Sportsnet outta Canada); I assume Direct TV is the same, but am not 100% sure on that.

#5 - Sports packages; no NHL games will be televised on these "FOX Sports" packages (at least not that I'm aware of). The satellite providers want the extra $$$ so they'll black out the games - forcing you to buy Center Ice; cut to the chase, & forget the packages, & just get Center Ice...With FS Detroit you can watch the post-game shows - that's about it <_< ...Then again there's uber-sexy-hot-chick-jock Angie Mentink on FSN Detroit :wub:

#6 - HD feeds; ??? as I've stated earlier it's a toss-up as to the # of games that will be broadcast on Center Ice since they're the "middle-man"...Best to call, or check out the respective web sites for further info on any HD broadcasts.

Overall I'm very happy with my DISH Network; more value vs cable, & I love the fact that I can choose which feed I want; only risk is the weather, but so far I haven't had any problems during Red Wing games *FINGERS CROSSED*

Any further questions just PM me :thumbup:

Well,

I just called Comcast and they said that they have no control over what games are broadcast in HD on Center Ice and that the channels dedicated to Center Ice will never have HD broadcasts, just digital broadcasts. Sometimes, VS HD or another HD channel like INHD will pick up the game (at the NHL's discretion) and will be available in HD, but it's random as to what game will be picked up on that night. They had no information about how many games will be in HD and referred me back to the NHL. So, it sounds like assuming that there will be no games in HD is the best bet and if there are some that are broadcast, it's a bonus. Which kinda sucks because watching hockey in HD was a big part of my rationalization to spend too much money on a HD TV.

Dont expect HD Wings games on a regular basis. Maybe once or twice a month.

Hah, I'm just the opposite. I used to live in PA, now in MI. Would love to be there with all the hype around Sid. My gf and I travel to Pittsburgh every year, once or twice, to watch the Pens play Tampa Bay (her favorite team).

Can't wait for the season to start. Finally got a 52" HD TV, so watching the Pens, Wings, Bolts in HD will be great!

Iffin' I can jump in here for a question...

I'm considering cable w/Center Ice (if the arse clowns offer it) OR Direct/Dish w/FSD (from the "sports pac" option). I don't have either and I don't have an HDTV, so that means beans to me right now. What I'm hoping to see is a metric buttload of Wings games and coverage. Either system (cable or Direct/Dish) will work for me - it really just comes down to access to Wings games and GENERAL NHL coverage.

Considering I primarily want to watch Wings games, and everything else is a wash, which would you choose? Cable with Center Ice or Dish/Direct with the Fox Sports pacakge (including FS Detroit)?

Curious.....

I would choose FoxSports Net then. Depending on whether you get VS, you'll get a non-Wings game every now and then (especially in January when NBC starts showing games).

I would suggest doing more research on HD tv as a whole. I would not base your decsision on Hockey alone. Since I have gotten HDtv I have become a fan of more sports again that I had previously lost interest in since I was a child. Also some of the other channels you can get in HD make TV more enjoyable to watch as a whole.

I would say that you need to sit down and look at what other channels your provider offers in HD. HD makes TV more enjoyable as a whole.

this is off topic concerning Wings and HD,

but i wanted to throw this question out there for anyone who knows who might be able to help me out with:

i am most likely moving a year from now to north carolina.

i dont want to miss the Wings at all. i have considered to purchase the Center Ice package when i make the move.

and first off, just letting everyone know, i dont know very much about the logistics of center ice.

if i order center ice, will i get every wings game throughout the year?

and

what is the annual price for the package?

thanks ahead of time to anyone who might be able to help me out.

this is off topic concerning Wings and HD,

but i wanted to throw this question out there for anyone who knows who might be able to help me out with:

i am most likely moving a year from now to north carolina.

i dont want to miss the Wings at all. i have considered to purchase the Center Ice package when i make the move.

and first off, just letting everyone know, i dont know very much about the logistics of center ice.

if i order center ice, will i get every wings game throughout the year?

and

what is the annual price for the package?

thanks ahead of time to anyone who might be able to help me out.

Yes, you will get every Wings game.

The price is $149 I believe (I don't know exactly anymore as it comes on our phone bill).

Guest Shoreline
The only time you won't get Red Wing games via Center Ice is when the game is on either NBC, or Versus.

Heh, actually I get Wings games on NBC via Center Ice when they want to give us regional games like Sharks vs. Stars, Kings vs. Canucks, etc.

Moreover I'm trying to find out more about this web Center Ice thing, where I saw an article stating there'd be an internet version of the TV Center Ice. I called DirecTV and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Then again, to my surprise, he (who had a southern accent) kept calling it "NFL Center Ice", even after I corrected him.

So maybe someone else here knows how to order the web version of Center Ice, if we're going to even have the option at all.

Heh, actually I get Wings games on NBC via Center Ice when they want to give us regional games like Sharks vs. Stars, Kings vs. Canucks, etc.

Moreover I'm trying to find out more about this web Center Ice thing, where I saw an article stating there'd be an internet version of the TV Center Ice. I called DirecTV and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Then again, to my surprise, he (who had a southern accent) kept calling it "NFL Center Ice", even after I corrected him.

So maybe someone else here knows how to order the web version of Center Ice, if we're going to even have the option at all.

http://centerice.nhl.tv/cc/login.php?redir=/cc/channel.php

Guest LivingtheDream

No way, Center Ice won't have HD games until the whole world is HD. Still, don't pass it up. It is FANtastic to have. Also, may I suggest plasma. Less motion artifacts which is important for sports and standard def will look better. I can't tell you how many of my friends gush with pride over a lousy pixel infested picture from their LCDs and then get real quiet when they come over and see my Pioneer plasma, a "lowly" 720p at that - it kicks their ass every time. If not Pioneer, then Panasonic is a safe bet.