• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
F.Michael

Camp tryout offers...

Rate this topic

Cleary can still be considered a diamond in the rough, because his NHL career was hanging by a balance before he came here. He really was a draft bust before that, considering he was a top 20 pick and wasn't able to hold onto a roster spot on two fringe playoff teams (Edmonton and Phoenix). Cleary is no longer considered a bust, but is considered a diamond in the rough.

You don't have to be drafted in a late round to be that. His NHL career was thought to be over before he came here. That's what makes him a diamond in the rough: the fact that he was pretty much done, and wasn't expected to make much of an impression, only to come out and prove he's still an NHL player.

I see what you, & GoWings1905 are saying - it's just that Cleary was looked @ with high regard, & expectations were high...He never quite lived up to them primarily because he lacked a solid work ethic, & now he's back on track to having a decent pro career.

Not to sound repetitive, but to me the "diamond in the ruff" exemplifies a guy whom was picked in the 3rd, or later rounds, & was looked @ as a long shot in making it to the NHL level...Guys like Dats (6th round), Homer (10th round), & Hank (7th round) to me are prime examples; none were looked @ as sure fire NHL'ers, & are stars today.

I see what you, & GoWings1905 are saying - it's just that Cleary was looked @ with high regard, & expectations were high...He never quite lived up to them primarily because he lacked a solid work ethic, & now he's back on track to having a decent pro career.

Not to sound repetitive, but to me the "diamond in the ruff" exemplifies a guy whom was picked in the 3rd, or later rounds, & was looked @ as a long shot in making it to the NHL level...Guys like Dats (6th round), Homer (10th round), & Hank (7th round) to me are prime examples; none were looked @ as sure fire NHL'ers, & are stars today.

lets not forget there's a few guys who've acheieved superstar status at one time or another in this league who have never been drafted. St.louis and Cujo come to mind off hand. Thats the really interesting thing about this sport, you really never know year to year who's going to come to play.

lets not forget there's a few guys who've acheieved superstar status at one time or another in this league who have never been drafted. St.louis and Cujo come to mind off hand. Thats the really interesting thing about this sport, you really never know year to year who's going to come to play.

Quite true...You can add current Red Wings Dman Rafalski to that list (signed by NJ as a free agent), along with ex-Red Wings Dino Ciccerelli, & Luc Robitaille.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE   
Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

my friend got a letter from ken holland to come try out. his bro just had a brain tumor so i don't know if he is going still

Another UFA name that I recognized is Nolan Pratt.

From what I recall he's more or less a stay @ home Dman with solid physical capabilities, but offers little to no offense.

Anyone care to shed some light/offer any more info?

I heard from a friend who knows Aaron Downey that he was offered a camp tryout, but he said that Philly might sign him to contract.... If they sign him to a contract he was gonna take it for sure... but if not then he was gonna try out with us....

He is tough, can fight and likes to hit, so it wouldn't hurt to at least see how well he can play... realistically he would be a fourth liner that can provide some energy and excitement so I'm all for it... and as much as everybody is tired of hearing it, it would be WAY better if we at least had someone to drop the mitts.

"I have a feeling were gonna invite , Barnaby , McCarty and Lindros. The ones that can still play get contracts , the ones that are vegatables go home."

I wouldn't think Lindros would take a tryout, he is to good of a player for that... even though he is more injury prone than any other player out there (even forsberg)

I would still be all for signing Lindros to an incentive based contract though, he is still very good when healthy and is still relatively young(34)

I have a feeling were gonna invite , Barnaby , McCarty and Lindros. The ones that can still play get contracts , the ones that are vegatables go home.

Barnaby retired. I dunno if they'd have Lindros at camp, but I'd like to see D-Mac head out there and grab a spot on the team. That would be great.

Hi boys and girls:

For whatever reason, I wasn't allowed to start a new topic on this but I just got this from a close friend of mine in Toronto. Check it out!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...805_001424_5896

There is already a thread on that topic. Also, you weren't allowed to start a new topic as a spam-prevention method.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing Adam Hall as a try out. He is gutsy and would probably beat out Maltby for a roster spot.

That's exactly why he won't be given a try out - might make Maltby look expendable; how would Holland get rid of him :lol:

I have a feeling were gonna invite , Barnaby , McCarty and Lindros. The ones that can still play get contracts , the ones that are vegatables go home.

Barnaby retired. McCarty sucks.

I wouldn't mind Lindros, to be honest. Only for cheap though.

I heard from a friend who knows Aaron Downey that he was offered a camp tryout, but he said that Philly might sign him to contract.... If they sign him to a contract he was gonna take it for sure... but if not then he was gonna try out with us....

He is tough, can fight and likes to hit, so it wouldn't hurt to at least see how well he can play... realistically he would be a fourth liner that can provide some energy and excitement so I'm all for it... and as much as everybody is tired of hearing it, it would be WAY better if we at least had someone to drop the mitts.

If that's true, that'd be great news. I've always been a big Downey fan, and would love to see him play here. Unlike Norton, he can actually win fights.

Take a look for yourself:

For anyone interested, Norton and Downey have fought:

Pretty knockdown, drag-out stuff. I'd actually say Norton won this one.

Here is Downey totally bruising Brashear's ... fists.

Edited by Turretin

Another UFA name that I recognized is Nolan Pratt.

From what I recall he's more or less a stay @ home Dman with solid physical capabilities, but offers little to no offense.

Anyone care to shed some light/offer any more info?

I was actually going to list Nolan Pratt myself. But there seems to only be a spot on the D for a 3/4 guy, which he isnt. They already have enough bottom dwellers (5th/6th guys), and they wouldnt pick him over Lebda, Lilja, or Quincey...so really theres no point in him even trying out here.

Aaron Downey is pretty bad fighter, if you're going to try out a straight up brawler you can find someone better.

I was actually going to list Nolan Pratt myself. But there seems to only be a spot on the D for a 3/4 guy, which he isnt. They already have enough bottom dwellers (5th/6th guys), and they wouldnt pick him over Lebda, Lilja, or Quincey...so really theres no point in him even trying out here.

Aaron Downey is pretty bad fighter, if you're going to try out a straight up brawler you can find someone better.

I agree. Downey is a gamer, but he's not an NHL heavyweight enforcer. Then again, we don't even have any gamers on the roster either.

I agree. Downey is a gamer, but he's not an NHL heavyweight enforcer. Then again, we don't even have any gamers on the roster either.

We'd be better off with Reed Low than Downey, not that i think the Low is great or anything, but he's better.

Not really on topic, but does anyone know whats going on with Zack Stortini in Edm? (Yzerfan1999?) I continue to see him listed as a RFA, just curious what the hold up is and if they are considering letting him go. He's not a good fighter at this point, but he's only 21 years old and has the size to get better.

We'd be better off with Reed Low than Downey, not that i think the Low is great or anything, but he's better.

Did you notice that Downey has 1 move? Wait for the other guy to come in first then swing. In all the fights I watched of his, that worked once (against Car). He was not impressive.

Really? Their respective college stats would suggest otherwise. One of the two holds the NCAA records for GAA and SV% in a season. I'll let you guess which one that is.

that must be why pittsburgh let him go. they couldn't handle all that talent.

He couldn't hold Howard's jock

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Well, sorry I'm not on the Howard bandwagon.