Posted Image

#22 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(theman19 @ August 12, 2007 - 10:11PM) View Post

yes but jason williams didn't equal that output in the playoffs, Samuelsson did.

Williams played less playoff games then Samulesson did.

Williams scored 1 goal in 6 playoff games in 2006. Samulesson has scored 3 goals in 24 playoff games in both 2006 and 2007. That's only two more goals in twice as many games. The stats are pretty comparable, considering Williams was at a goal every 6 games pace, like Samulesson is now.

I'm not trying to make an arguement for Williams, because Williams sucked too. But it's ridculous to say "Samulesson came to play in the playoffs" when he really didn't do anything.

Edited by Kp-Wings, 12 August 2007 - 09:39 PM.

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(GoWings1905 @ August 12, 2007 - 08:58PM) View Post

Exactly. Just because Cleary didn't live up to expectations doesn't change him being a diamond in the rough. Luckily for both the Red Wings and Cleary, it worked out for the best. Most guys coming into training camp as invites will not turn out like Cleary, or even make the roster. Hard work won Cleary a roster spot, not being the 13th overall pick. Maybe there are some guys that can duplicate Cleary's success, but it's not a likely occurance.

Hard work did earn Cleary a roster spot...To me a "diamond in the rough" is a guy drafted in later rounds, & turns out being a solid NHL'er.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ August 12, 2007 - 08:34PM) View Post

In what way?

Stopping pucks.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#25 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(F.Michael @ August 13, 2007 - 12:13AM) View Post

Hard work did earn Cleary a roster spot...To me a "diamond in the rough" is a guy drafted in later rounds, & turns out being a solid NHL'er.

Cleary can still be considered a diamond in the rough, because his NHL career was hanging by a balance before he came here. He really was a draft bust before that, considering he was a top 20 pick and wasn't able to hold onto a roster spot on two fringe playoff teams (Edmonton and Phoenix). Cleary is no longer considered a bust, but is considered a diamond in the rough.

You don't have to be drafted in a late round to be that. His NHL career was thought to be over before he came here. That's what makes him a diamond in the rough: the fact that he was pretty much done, and wasn't expected to make much of an impression, only to come out and prove he's still an NHL player.

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ August 13, 2007 - 12:13AM) View Post

Cleary can still be considered a diamond in the rough, because his NHL career was hanging by a balance before he came here. He really was a draft bust before that, considering he was a top 20 pick and wasn't able to hold onto a roster spot on two fringe playoff teams (Edmonton and Phoenix). Cleary is no longer considered a bust, but is considered a diamond in the rough.

You don't have to be drafted in a late round to be that. His NHL career was thought to be over before he came here. That's what makes him a diamond in the rough: the fact that he was pretty much done, and wasn't expected to make much of an impression, only to come out and prove he's still an NHL player.

I see what you, & GoWings1905 are saying - it's just that Cleary was looked @ with high regard, & expectations were high...He never quite lived up to them primarily because he lacked a solid work ethic, & now he's back on track to having a decent pro career.

Not to sound repetitive, but to me the "diamond in the ruff" exemplifies a guy whom was picked in the 3rd, or later rounds, & was looked @ as a long shot in making it to the NHL level...Guys like Dats (6th round), Homer (10th round), & Hank (7th round) to me are prime examples; none were looked @ as sure fire NHL'ers, & are stars today.

#27 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(F.Michael @ August 13, 2007 - 01:25AM) View Post

I see what you, & GoWings1905 are saying - it's just that Cleary was looked @ with high regard, & expectations were high...He never quite lived up to them primarily because he lacked a solid work ethic, & now he's back on track to having a decent pro career.

Not to sound repetitive, but to me the "diamond in the ruff" exemplifies a guy whom was picked in the 3rd, or later rounds, & was looked @ as a long shot in making it to the NHL level...Guys like Dats (6th round), Homer (10th round), & Hank (7th round) to me are prime examples; none were looked @ as sure fire NHL'ers, & are stars today.

lets not forget there's a few guys who've acheieved superstar status at one time or another in this league who have never been drafted. St.louis and Cujo come to mind off hand. Thats the really interesting thing about this sport, you really never know year to year who's going to come to play.

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(theman19 @ August 13, 2007 - 12:40AM) View Post

lets not forget there's a few guys who've acheieved superstar status at one time or another in this league who have never been drafted. St.louis and Cujo come to mind off hand. Thats the really interesting thing about this sport, you really never know year to year who's going to come to play.

Quite true...You can add current Red Wings Dman Rafalski to that list (signed by NJ as a free agent), along with ex-Red Wings Dino Ciccerelli, & Luc Robitaille.

#29 REDWINGS4LYFE

REDWINGS4LYFE

2nd Line Scorer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:28 AM

my friend got a letter from ken holland to come try out. his bro just had a brain tumor so i don't know if he is going still

#30 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:14 AM

Another UFA name that I recognized is Nolan Pratt.

From what I recall he's more or less a stay @ home Dman with solid physical capabilities, but offers little to no offense.

Anyone care to shed some light/offer any more info?

#31 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(Izzy24 @ August 12, 2007 - 11:38PM) View Post

Stopping pucks.

Really? Their respective college stats would suggest otherwise. One of the two holds the NCAA records for GAA and SV% in a season. I'll let you guess which one that is.

Posted Image

#32 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:04 AM

I have a feeling were gonna invite , Barnaby , McCarty and Lindros. The ones that can still play get contracts , the ones that are vegatables go home.

#NOMOREKINDL

#33 HomeNugget

HomeNugget

It's the Bishop!

• Gold Booster
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(Izzy24 @ August 12, 2007 - 07:01PM) View Post

IMO, Goepfert is better.

that must be why pittsburgh let him go. they couldn't handle all that talent.

#34 gbdet

gbdet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

I heard from a friend who knows Aaron Downey that he was offered a camp tryout, but he said that Philly might sign him to contract.... If they sign him to a contract he was gonna take it for sure... but if not then he was gonna try out with us....
He is tough, can fight and likes to hit, so it wouldn't hurt to at least see how well he can play... realistically he would be a fourth liner that can provide some energy and excitement so I'm all for it... and as much as everybody is tired of hearing it, it would be WAY better if we at least had someone to drop the mitts.

"I have a feeling were gonna invite , Barnaby , McCarty and Lindros. The ones that can still play get contracts , the ones that are vegatables go home."

I wouldn't think Lindros would take a tryout, he is to good of a player for that... even though he is more injury prone than any other player out there (even forsberg)
I would still be all for signing Lindros to an incentive based contract though, he is still very good when healthy and is still relatively young(34)

#35 Winther

Winther

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Izzy24 @ August 13, 2007 - 06:38AM) View Post

Stopping pucks.

heh smile.gif

#36 TheBadOne

TheBadOne

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Detroit # 1 Fan @ August 13, 2007 - 09:04AM) View Post

I have a feeling were gonna invite , Barnaby , McCarty and Lindros. The ones that can still play get contracts , the ones that are vegatables go home.

Barnaby retired. I dunno if they'd have Lindros at camp, but I'd like to see D-Mac head out there and grab a spot on the team. That would be great.

#37 WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

McCarty should get a tryout, he gave us some great memories and still scored the most important game winning goal in modern red wings history.

#38 Jay Rock Richards

Jay Rock Richards

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi boys and girls:

For whatever reason, I wasn't allowed to start a new topic on this but I just got this from a close friend of mine in Toronto. Check it out!

http://www.sportsnet...805_001424_5896

#39 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(Jay Rock Richards @ August 13, 2007 - 11:20AM) View Post
Hi boys and girls:

For whatever reason, I wasn't allowed to start a new topic on this but I just got this from a close friend of mine in Toronto. Check it out!

http://www.sportsnet...805_001424_5896

There is already a thread on that topic. Also, you weren't allowed to start a new topic as a spam-prevention method.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#40 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

I sure wouldn't mind seeing Adam Hall as a try out. He is gutsy and would probably beat out Maltby for a roster spot.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate