• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Osgood Wants To Play Five More Years

Rate this topic

This is just my opinion, but I think the no 1 goalies out there right now generally suck. Well, "suck" is a harsh word, but I don't see anyone special out there that can take control of a game completely on their own outside of Kippursoff and Hasek. With that said I think Osgood can hold his own in this company, even if he is getting older.

What about Brodeur, Luongo, Turco, and many other guys who I'm too lazy to name right now? In fact, many teams have backup goalies that can take over a game at any given time. I can think of numerous instances in recent memory when that happened. Goalies are better schooled now then they've ever been before, and Wings fans should know that better than anybody based on some of our recent playoff disappointments. Nobody ever heard of Kiprussoff, Giguere, or Roloson until they beat us in the playoffs.

What about Brodeur, Luongo, Turco, and many other guys who I'm too lazy to name right now? In fact, many teams have backup goalies that can take over a game at any given time. I can think of numerous instances in recent memory when that happened. Goalies are better schooled now then they've ever been before, and Wings fans should know that better than anybody based on some of our recent playoff disappointments. Nobody ever heard of Kiprussoff, Giguere, or Roloson until they beat us in the playoffs.

Brodeur is a goalie from the last generation (Hasek is also). In addition to that Broduer is on the decline. Yes hes still a good goalie, but hes not going to be here for 5 more years (hes not on the Wings, am I right *nudge nudge*). Turco's win percentage is hovering around .500 somewhere, and has been a constant disappointment in the playoffs until last year, and even still they couldn't get past the first round.

Luongo may be said goalie that I'm looking for in a couple years, but as of now I'm not especially impressed.

If you compare this new gen's prime to the prime of some older goalies (ie Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Fuhr, etc) I don't even think its a comparison. Maybe Luongo in a couple years; hes still young, but like I said: definitely not now.

Also I'm not going to give Giguere or Roloson credit for beating us in the playoffs. We beat ourselves by shooting 95% of all our shots directly into their pads and leaving our goalies out to hang in some crucial moments.

This is just my opinion, but I think the no 1 goalies out there right now generally suck. Well, "suck" is a harsh word, but I don't see anyone special out there that can take control of a game completely on their own outside of Kippursoff and Hasek. With that said I think Osgood can hold his own in this company, even if he is getting older.

No one special? Are u crazy? Hmm let me ;ist a few goaltenders that take control of the game:

Broduer, Truco, MILLER!!!, Luongo, Kipursoff, Gigure, Emery, Lundqvist, Nabok and Toskala(not quite proven himself but will !) Raycroft And MAYBE Cam Ward and I am sure there are quite a few backups in the league that should get honarable mention. So to prove my point most of the starters don't suck. because if they did they probably wouldn't start.(Yes I know there are exceptions, I.E. Dan cloutier in VAN a few years back)

"Luongo may be said goalie that I'm looking for in a couple years, but as of now I'm not especially impressed." : Not impressed? he played for a s*** team(FLA and now VAN) and still remained one of the top goalies the league as far as stats wise. And if I recall a few year we played florida and luongo faced like 60 + shots and stopped like at least 59! so how is it that your not impressed

"(Brodeur is a goalie from the last generation (Hasek is also). In addition to that Broduer is on the decline. Yes hes still a good goalie, but hes not going to be here for 5 more years (hes not on the Wings, am I right *nudge nudge*). Turco's win percentage is hovering around .500 somewhere, and has been a constant disappointment in the playoffs until last year, and even still they couldn't get past the first round)": Are u completley crazy?

"Also I'm not going to give Giguere or Roloson credit for beating us in the playoffs. We beat ourselves by shooting 95% of all our shots directly into their pads and leaving our goalies out to hang in some crucial moments": But they still stopped us!!!!!"

Guest jaytan

It's easy to play five more years if all they want him to do is sit on the bench.

Osgood will be lucky to break the 400 win mark.

To me this is the funniest quote of the thread. He'll be up around 400 if not over, barring severe injury. and even if he falls right below it's nothing to scoff at. Go Ozzie! :thumbup:

No one special? Are u crazy? Hmm let me ;ist a few goaltenders that take control of the game:

Broduer, Truco, MILLER!!!, Luongo, Kipursoff, Gigure, Emery, Lundqvist, Nabok and Toskala(not quite proven himself but will !) Raycroft And MAYBE Cam Ward and I am sure there are quite a few backups in the league that should get honarable mention. So to prove my point most of the starters don't suck. because if they did they probably wouldn't start.(Yes I know there are exceptions, I.E. Dan cloutier in VAN a few years back)

Broduer and Kippursoff are the best two goalies in that list, and I already discussed them in my previous post. Broduer is on the decline and wont even be here for 5 more years and Kippursoff is a fairly new goalie to whom I gave an exception.

Not impressed? he played for a s*** team(FLA and now VAN) and still remained one of the top goalies the league as far as stats wise. And if I recall a few year we played florida and luongo faced like 60 + shots and stopped like at least 59! so how is it that your not impressed

He has potential, but hes one out of 100 that don't, and hes also new to the league and still makes rookie mistakes. And Vancouver made it to the playoffs last year, and you can believe it wasn't just because of their goalie. You don't fluke your way into the postseason on one player's skills.

Are u completley crazy?

Thats not even a complete sentence, let alone an argument. Besides, half the words are spelled wrong anyway.

But they still stopped us!!!!!"

That doesn't disprove what I said in the least about us loosing to them because we shot most of our chances right into the pads of the opposing goalies.

edit: cutting some fat

Edited by Echolalia

Im expecting half of the people on this board to be completely pissed off at this news. No fans get more pissed off about sub-900k signings than Wings fans do.

If hes sticking around for another 5 years as backup, why the hell not. Fan favourite, knows his role, loved in the locker room, elite in terms of backups.

Insert overembelished and overdramatic post about how pitiful Osgood is because he let's in 2 soft goals every 63 games *HERE*.

And I second the last post about YoungGuns.

While I think Osgood can certainly hold his own for a good while in a starting role somewhere, this is a guy who wants to be with the Red Wings. There aren't a whole lot of athletes in any professional sport anymore that give the perception that they want to stay in 1 city for a long wihle. Not that there's anything wrong with that generally speaking, as you have to look out for yourself and your own career obviously, which might require working/playing in a different city, but I digress.

Osgood seems to be one of those athletes in the minority, and that's a good thing.

Im expecting half of the people on this board to be completely pissed off at this news. No fans get more pissed off about sub-900k signings than Wings fans do.

If hes sticking around for another 5 years as backup, why the hell not. Fan favourite, knows his role, loved in the locker room, elite in terms of backups.

See, this to me is confusing. I don't think anyone has said anything that can be remotely interpreted as "pissed". Having Osgood for 5 more years is undeniably good. The thing that needs to be remembered is that having Osgood doesn't solve our future goalie problems. Simple as that. He's a cheap and experienced backup capable of 20-25 starts a season (if healthy). But that's all he does for us. He's not going to take us to another cup, or play 40-50 games. So, I just think you're seeing a lack of enthusiasm because we still need a starter for our future.

Thinking of Osgood as a back up makes me want to hurl. I HATE when he is labeled that. Hate it. Don't get me wrong I know that's his 'role' right now, but it bothers me to no end. Especially since I know he is SO much better than a back up and seeing him rarely play, and just sit on the bench depresses me. Seriously. He is and always will be a very capable starter. He's played most of his career as one and has never had a losing season. There's no doubt in my mind that if he were to start again that he'd repeat it all over again. He's a very good goaltender regardless of what anyone thinks. His play and numbers prove it.

Anyways, as far as him wanting to play for 5 more years. That is FANTASTIC! I'd keep Ozzie around for 10 more if it were possible. He's the type of guy that everyone needs on their team.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Lets face it, if Osgood returns to the Wings for 5 more seasons he will be lucky to see 20 games a season let alone 20 wins (last season he only had 19 starts because of his injury). Hasek has about 1, 2 seasons left MAX. At which point we won't be using Osgood as a starter and we'll probably wind up finding or bringing up a goalie we aren't afraid of playing regularly like we are with Hasek. Osgood will be lucky to break the 400 win mark.

Osgood seeing 20 wins per season means an average of 30-35 starts per season. That's a totally reasonable amount to average over that time. He'll likely see around 30 until Hasek is gone (next summer or at very latest the year after), and if the club decides to go with Ozzie/Howard after that, he'll likely see more than that. Averaging 20 wins with that amount of PT is hardly an unreasonable suggestion, given that the Wings are one of the best teams in the league, and Ozzie has never had a losing season even on bad teams. As far as Ozzie breaking the 400 win mark, that's 64 wins away, meaning an average of 13 wins per season over five years. Even with the 20-25 starts per year you say he'll get, he can do that.

See, this to me is confusing. I don't think anyone has said anything that can be remotely interpreted as "pissed". Having Osgood for 5 more years is undeniably good. The thing that needs to be remembered is that having Osgood doesn't solve our future goalie problems. Simple as that. He's a cheap and experienced backup capable of 20-25 starts a season (if healthy). But that's all he does for us. He's not going to take us to another cup, or play 40-50 games. So, I just think you're seeing a lack of enthusiasm because we still need a starter for our future.

I dont know how you could completely misinterpret my post, but you did.

I dont know how you could completely misinterpret my post, but you did.

The interpretation they had of your post was wrong also in saying that people won't be pissed (i know that is not what you were going for... but actually i said it on page one) A lot of People will be pissed, he (osgood) is one of the most hated/loved player we have on our team right now... I for one would love the news that would piss off any of the Osgood haters :D.... When he signs again people will be pissed and I will love it!

He has potential, but hes one out of 100 that don't, and hes also new to the league and still makes rookie mistakes. And Vancouver made it to the playoffs last year, and you can believe it wasn't just because of their goalie. You don't fluke your way into the postseason on one player's skills.

Umm new to the league? Where have you been. He's been playing sense 1999-00 season. So no he is not "NEW" the the league!

Rookie Mistakes? Like what?

And it wasn't a fluke

Well, I would love it if Ozzie styed here for another 5 years, or however long he wanted in order o finish his career. He's a good solid, dependable goalie, whether in the starting or the backup role. I think Holland knows this, and will do his best to keep him around. Shouldn't be too hard, as Ozzie seems willing to take a little less $ in order to remain on the team. GO OZZIE!!!!

Well, I would love it if Ozzie styed here for another 5 years, or however long he wanted in order o finish his career. He's a good solid, dependable goalie, whether in the starting or the backup role. I think Holland knows this, and will do his best to keep him around. Shouldn't be too hard, as Ozzie seems willing to take a little less $ in order to remain on the team. GO OZZIE!!!!

Now, this is the right spirit !

:)

You can't compare Osgood with Hasek. Hasek is one of the greatest goalies ever, and his play has definitely dropped off significantly from the dominant goalie he used to be. Don't get me wrong, he can still play with the best of them, but he isn't the same goalie he was 7 or 8 years ago. That being said, I love Osgood, but he is not a hall of fame goalie that can still be a good goalie at 85% or whatever. I think in 3 or 4 years Detroit will run him out of town, because by then there will be a new young goalie ready to be brought up.

You can't compare Osgood with Hasek. Hasek is one of the greatest goalies ever, and his play has definitely dropped off significantly from the dominant goalie he used to be. Don't get me wrong, he can still play with the best of them, but he isn't the same goalie he was 7 or 8 years ago. That being said, I love Osgood, but he is not a hall of fame goalie that can still be a good goalie at 85% or whatever. I think in 3 or 4 years Detroit will run him out of town, because by then there will be a new young goalie ready to be brought up.

Nobody has intended or is intent on comparing/contrasting Osgood and Hasek.

Why does a slight against Osgood on here almost always mean that Hasek is put on a higher pedastal, or vice versa?

I know. He could be a starter in another city if he wanted.

I love Osgood and all but who are you kidding? What team's starter could he actually beat out?

Biron, Emery, Denis, Leclaire, Mason, Legace, Budaj, and Aebischer are the only current starting goaltenders he would really have a chance against. Not to mention that they are all young (exception of Legace) and are only going to get better while Osgood is only going to deteriorate.

So i guess my question is what team is it that you think would sign him as a starter? Not who you think he could do well with but what team would WANT him as a starter?

I love Osgood and all but who are you kidding? What team's starter could he actually beat out?

Biron, Emery, Denis, Leclaire, Mason, Legace, Budaj, and Aebischer are the only current starting goaltenders he would really have a chance against.

I would pick Ozzie over everybody in that list, maybe other than Emery. And Biron sometimes.