• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Osgood Wants To Play Five More Years

Rate this topic

That reminds me of last season when everyone's like.... Well...we can keep Ozzie next season and then bring up Howard and then Ozzie can retire and Howard can be #1. And I was thinking... Ozzie's not going to retire.. :lol:

Ozzie has 252 wins right now in a Wings uni, and 336 overall. Five more seasons at 20 wins apiece average would give him 436 overall (eleven behind Sawchuk's 447) and 352 as a Wing if he stayed the five years. That would put Ozzie 7th All-time in Wings (assuming Hasek retired within the next 74 wins, so probably two seasons max) and would tie him with Sawchuk for first in a Wings uniform. Who knows what could happen at that point.

With Hasek and Chelios setting the new bar for defying age in modern hockey, plenty of players are saying things like "I'm going to play into my 40s". Unfortunately, these two aren't simply your everyday stars, these are two immortals of the position. While nearly everyone would LIKE to play as long as they can, the will of teams and the ego of the individual player to decide what lessened role he is content in playing is ultimately the deciding factor, along with whether that guy can still play at a high age. I can't predict the future but I'm guessing there will be better options than Chris Osgood in 2-3 years.

With Hasek and Chelios setting the new bar for defying age in modern hockey, plenty of players are saying things like "I'm going to play into my 40s". Unfortunately, these two aren't simply your everyday stars, these are two immortals of the position. While nearly everyone would LIKE to play as long as they can, the will of teams and the ego of the individual player to decide what lessened role he is content in playing is ultimately the deciding factor, along with whether that guy can still play at a high age. I can't predict the future but I'm guessing there will be better options than Chris Osgood in 2-3 years.

There is unlikely to be a cheap backup available who is better than Osgood. If you are thinking Jimmy Howard, if he passes Ozzie on the depth chart within two years he'll be given the chance to start. If Howard isn't starting in two years, and it's not because Osgood is playing particularly well (i.e. Howard is playing well enough to start, but Ozzie is playing like he did ten years ago), Howard will be traded.

we dont need a 39 year old back up. Maybe 3 or 4 for sentimental values , but not 5.

You do know how old our starter is, right ??

Goalies are rarely limited by age and are able to put up decent numbers in their 30's... even their 40's...

And the Detroit organisation wouldn'r sign / re-sign anyone (even Ozzie) for sentimental value.

This is the NHL.

Anyways: Good news for us fans ! :)

You do know how old our starter is, right ??

Goalies are rarely limited by age and are able to put up decent numbers in their 30's... even their 40's...

And the Detroit organisation wouldn'r sign / re-sign anyone (even Ozzie) for sentimental value.

This is the NHL.

Anyways: Good news for us fans ! :)

Maybe not for explicitly sentimental value but Former Wing status is always a plus... Johnson, Drake (not that I am complainging at all.... Here is to a great next year with Ozzie and Sergei together again in the red and white!

wow that went by fast wouldnt ya say. seems like ozze just got here when he was that young faced up and comming goaltender and at one point was one of the best in the nhl. now only 5 more years left.

Dunno if this is a good thing, or a bad thing, but @ the current rate of netminder development in GR - Ozzie may be our starter for the 2008/2009 season :unsure:

Well it's reassuring to say the least that he's busting his rear to keep himself in top notch shape throughout the offseason :thumbup:

I don't mind having him around as a backup, but if he does start in 2008/09, then we've got some serious problems in hockeytown. He shouldn't be a starter anywhere at this point in his career.

The only serious problems I see if Ozzie is our starter in 08/09 is that it will piss off a lot of people... and seeing the people it would piss off... That would NOT be a bad thing at all :)

He could still be a starter on more than 1/2 of the teams in this league even nearing the end of his career.

Edited by OsGOD

Ozzie has 252 wins right now in a Wings uni, and 336 overall. Five more seasons at 20 wins apiece average would give him 436 overall (eleven behind Sawchuk's 447) and 352 as a Wing if he stayed the five years. That would put Ozzie 7th All-time in Wings (assuming Hasek retired within the next 74 wins, so probably two seasons max) and would tie him with Sawchuk for first in a Wings uniform. Who knows what could happen at that point.

Lets face it, if Osgood returns to the Wings for 5 more seasons he will be lucky to see 20 games a season let alone 20 wins (last season he only had 19 starts because of his injury). Hasek has about 1, 2 seasons left MAX. At which point we won't be using Osgood as a starter and we'll probably wind up finding or bringing up a goalie we aren't afraid of playing regularly like we are with Hasek. Osgood will be lucky to break the 400 win mark.

The only serious problems I see if Ozzie is our starter in 08/09 is that it will piss off a lot of people... and seeing the people it would piss off... That would NOT be a bad thing at all :)

He could still be a starter on more than 1/2 of the teams in this league even nearing the end of his career.

More than 1/2 the teams in the league! I don't thinks so. There's a few teams that might take him on as a starter, but none of those teams are going to be successful. Teams are looking for younger goalies who can be franchise players, and Osgood doesn't fit the mold.

That reminds me of last season when everyone's like.... Well...we can keep Ozzie next season and then bring up Howard and then Ozzie can retire and Howard can be #1. And I was thinking... Ozzie's not going to retire.. :lol:

That's exactly what I was going to say. It kind of blew my mind when people were saying that.

Ozzie is here to stay and for awhile! :D

More than 1/2 the teams in the league! I don't thinks so. There's a few teams that might take him on as a starter, but none of those teams are going to be successful. Teams are looking for younger goalies who can be franchise players, and Osgood doesn't fit the mold.

They won't be successful of course.... What was I thinking?

***rubs hands together*** Oh goody a game, A GAME! Why might I ask?

Wait, Don't Tell Me... Please... Let me guess... Is it because of Ozzie they wouldn't be successful? :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by OsGOD

They won't be successful of course.... What was I thinking?

***rubs hands together*** Oh goody a game, A GAME! Why might I ask?

Wait, Don't Tell Me... Please... Let me guess... Is it because of Ozzie they wouldn't be successful? :rolleyes::lol:

I didn't say that they weren't going to have success because he won't play well. I'm just saying that any team that's serious about their future would be crazy to have Osgood as their #1 goaltender. At this point in his career he's a solid backup and that's it. There's not much prospect with signing a backup goalie in his mid 30's and thinking that he's going to carry you somewhere. To suggest that he could start for half the teams in the league was an overly broad statement on your part.

This is just my opinion, but I think the no 1 goalies out there right now generally suck. Well, "suck" is a harsh word, but I don't see anyone special out there that can take control of a game completely on their own outside of Kippursoff and Hasek. With that said I think Osgood can hold his own in this company, even if he is getting older.