• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sverige

Another Fedorov Thread...Sorry

Rate this topic

Sports the Express Train

I know there are many people who hate talking about Fedorov, but I thought this interview was kind of interesting. He basically says that the reason he left Detroit is because they changed his contract last minute.

- Could admit(allow), what "Detroit" will call you back?

- I do not know even how to answer. More precisely with what to begin. I in fact was not going to leave anywhere if it is fair. But hockey is not only game. It is business. And when you in this business try to bypass dishonestly, it strongly makes active those qualities owing to which you so much years made the way and won. Persistence, an estimation of the general(common) situation, own career... Understand, about what I speak? We in fact have agreed with a management(manual) of club about one contract and when next day send(have come) it(him) to sign, was found out, that on a table absolutely another lays. Especially nobody knows this history. I not so about it(her) extended. But the deposit from parting with "Detroit" at me has remained not the most pleasant.

Kuklas Korner

Woops. Sergei Fedorov, steadfast in his refusal to speak with Russian media, spoke with the Russian media again yesterday. And, if the reports are accurate, it would appear the chances of a return to Hockeytown are as slim as ever. A2Y’s Russian correspondent, working out of his Wisconsin home office, provides this translation to a Sport-Express article that ran last evening.

It’s the business. And when in this business someone tries to screw you, it greatly activates those qualities I used to fight through and win all those years. Perseverance, judgment of the general situation, my career… Do you understand what I am talking about? We agreed about a certain contract with the club’s management, and I found a completely different one the next day when I came to sign it. No one really knows of this story. I really didn’t have a good “aftertaste†after leaving Detroit.

That “aftertaste†probably got progressively yuckier after every trip back to the Joe, and every chorus of boos.

A few more tidbits from the interview with Express reporter Elena Vaizekhovskaya.

Do you feel nostalgic about “Detroit�

Sergei Fedorov: I don’t know. But I was pleasantly surprised that they have Steve Yzerman’s jersey in Novogorsk (the training base of Dynamo Moscow where he’s training - MR) with whom I played for 13 years.

EV: In other words, you spent the best days of your life there?

SF: Of course. Having won 3 NHL Championships I can be sure of that.

EV: How long do you plan on staying in Russia?

SF: I’d like to spend 2-3 more training sessions in Novogorsk. I would have liked to be in Russia 2-3 weeks earlier to complete all the work I planned on doing. My NHL season starts on September 10. Exhibition games start on the 12th. As it turns out we’ll have only 2 days to train as a team. And prior to that I’d have to become acclimatized. And move from Detroit to Columbus.â€Â

Edited by Son of a Wing

Sergei Fedorov's interview with Sport-Express, 8/17/07

translated, with some irrelevant parts omitted.

Q: You so rarely visit Russia that the first question is obvious:

Do you think yourself to be Russian or American?

A: In my soul I am, of course, Russian. But I spent too long in America, and got used to a totally different life.

In Russia, I feel that everything is kind of familiar, but still it takes a couple of weeks to adjust.

Q: It appears, that you would rather stay in the US after your playing career is over?

A: I've spent most of the The last 17 years there, but that was work. Naturally, I sometimes think about where I will

live after my career is finished. But I can't answer this question definitevly. I still have one year left onmy contract

with Columbus.

Q: Do you have any plans for your after-hockey future?

A: It's a difficult question. Much more difficult than it seems. I thought a lot about it, and haven't come up with anything yet. Hockey takes too much of my time and energy, both mental and physical. Naturally, I'd like to do something sports-related, possibly hockey-related. But for now those plans are very hazy. I would probably need to take a year or two off and re-think my life. Your life doesn't end with hockey, although everyone thinks that they

will play hockey forever, when they are 18 or 20.

Q: Are you emotionally ready to accept the fact that your career nears its end?

A: Probably not. I was doing only hockey for all of the last 20 years. I think that some time in the future I will have to get over a shock of the realization that I won't have to train or prepare for the next season. Sports occupy about 90% of my time right now. I'll have to think of something to use all that time for, when I'll stop training and competing.

I hope I'll come up with something, and that the new occupation would become fun. But I must tell you that I hate making long-term plans like that.

Q: I often noticed that some athletes are so afraid of the moment of saying goodbye to sports that they keep playing anywhere just to postpone that moment.

A: I'm not ready to play just anywhere, just to be playing. I think that my career was very successful. I've won championships, I was fortunate tohave played for strong teams with excellent teammates who helped me grow. First in Russia, then in North America, so I see no reason to cling to hockey just to be playing. If I play, I play to win. If I still have something to give, then why not?

Q: Do you feel your age?

A: You know,when you train with under 25s and skate not just on par, but faster then they, one doesn't notice one's age.

Q: I meant, do you feel the age inside yourself?

A: I realize that I'm 37 and I'm not the same player as I was 5 years ago. Some things, especially in pre-season training, are harder now.

Q: Are your emotions different now?

A: I think that changes with experience, both life and sport. 5 or 10 years ago I would have probably behaved differently than now, in certain situations. But I can't say that Ifeelany discomfort because of that. With experience, one just controls himself better, both in positive and negative senses of the word.

Q: How did you feel about the fact that you were unable to play for Russia in the Moscow World Championships?

A: I felt badly, certainly. I hoped to play. But in January I seriously injured my left elbow, and couldn't play at all for 5 weeks. Then, just after returning to the ice, I injured my right elbow. I spent the last 15 games of the season playing D, because I couldn't keep up offensively. My elbows kept hurting, I tried all kinds of pills and injections to no avail. Although, I liked playing D, on the whole. I got a lot of ice time. But I understood that the Russian nationalteam couldn't use me in that condition, even as a D-man. And I certainly couldn't have played the role that the Russian coaches planned for me.

Q: Were you not invited, or did you yourself decided that you weren't ready to play for the national team?

A: I decided myself. I realized that I would be physically unable to play after the end of the NHL season. Because I played the last two month held together by "spit and chicken wire".

Q: Did you follow the World Championships?

A: I didn't watch the first half of it at all. I was too disappointed with my season in Columbus, and by my physical

condition. Perhaps, I should have paid more attention to my health earlier, because the problems turned out to be too

serious to fix in the short time before the world championship.

Q: Then, where did the rumors start, saying that you weren't interested in the WCH atall,and didn't even know where

it was to be held?

A: Think about it, how could I NOT have known about it? I was really preparing for it. I was communicatiing with the

Russian coaches and federation officials. I know where this rumor comes from. We lost to Edmonton in particularly dissapointing fashion. I was very tired and upset. I kept replaying some episodes from the game in my mind. There were so many chances that we couldn't finish... Just then a Russian reporter asked me if I was going to play in the WCH. I didn't understand what he was talking about at first, "What world championship?" That was enough for him to write what he wrote.

Q: Next year, the WCH is going to be played in Canada for the first time. Will you play if invited?

A: Definitely.

Q: Many of the Russian NHLers are returning to Russia. Why do you think that is, and is it possible that you may

return too?

A: We are getting older. Maybe that is why we are drawn back.

Q: But the young ones are returning also?

A: Perhaps they don't get the same enjoyment from playing in North America, as they do in Russia. Russian hockey is very different from NHL hockey. There's practically no "beautiful hockey" there. NHL hockey tendencies are simple.

Q: And the money is not as good as it is in Russia?

A: That is something I would have to research. If it comes to that.

Q: How do you see your role in Columbus, since that team is not pursuing the same goals that you were accustomed to in Annaheim, and certainly in Detroit?

A: The last 4 years of my career were not what you'd call stellar. I could still score in Anaheim, because tha team was good as were the teammates.

Q: Are you disappointed that Anaheim won the Cup without you, when before the owners were counting on you to help the team do that?

A: You see... the offense is very different from defense. Anaheim placed their bets on a goalie and two Dmen, and they played great.

Q: What do you think about Columbus team?

A: It's a generally young team with nevertheless high contracts and peculiar atmosphere.

Q: What is peculiar about it?

A: I am the oldest player, there are two more over 30s, one is 28, and the rest are in their early 20s or younger.

I played with David Vyborny and Rick Nash at first, but over the long 82 game season the lines can't stay constant

and I played with everyone on the team, even Dmen.

Q: Most of the players who play for the Russian national team today, are from a much younger generation. Do you feel

like a dinosaur among them?

A: I love hockey in all its forms. I like competng for the puck, survival, victory. I like the young guys. It is interesting to play with them, show and explain things to them, even off the ice.

Q: Do you get the feeling that some things are impossible to explain, because their views on hockey are very different?

A: It happens. It is normal. The way that we were training, the younger generation wouldn't understand. And we couldn't explain. Some things I could show, but will they watch?

Q: "Everything was better when we were young"?

A: Yes, it was. I will defend that opinion anywhere. Hockey was more interesting to play and to watch, by a tremendous degree. I am sure of it.

Q: Do you feel nostalgia for "Detroit"?

A: I don't know. Although, I was pleasantly surprised that a jersey of Steve Yzerman, who I played with for 13 years, hangs in the "Dynamo" arena.

Q: In other words,youspent the best years of your life in Detroit?

A: Yes, having won 3 Cups there, I am sure about it.

Q: Do you think Detroit may call you back?

A: I don't know what to say. Rather, where to begin. Frankly, I didn't intend to go anywhere. But hockey is not just a game, it's a business. And when someone tries to dishonestly put one over you in that business, that mobilizes the very qualities that make you a winner. Determination, judgement, estimation of my own career. Do you see what I mean? We agreed with Detroit management on one contract, but when we came to sign it the next day, there was totally different contract on the table. This is not widely known. I didn't talk about it. But the unpleasant feeling from my separation from Detroit remained.

Q: If you could live your life again, what would you do differently?

A: I can only say that I was lucky. That my father got me interested in sports. That a coach from Minsk noticed me. That I was invited to play for the junior national team, and after I graduated high school, invited to join the Red Army club.

I was supposed to play for Dynamo, because my junior club was in their farm system. I was lucky that Viktor Vasilievich Tikhonov gave me a chance to develop within that team, where every player, top to fourth line, was at the peak of their game. And where I got to play against outstanding goalies for those 4 years. On the other hand, that hard work, that I had to face at 16, without any hope for normal social life was difficult to endure. There was a lot of sweat and literally blood spilled. And a lot of nerves burned. But I wouldn't change anything.

Guest jaytan

So the guy who tried to screw the Wings over for cash whenever he had the opportunity wants to accuse the organization of doing the same to him?

Yeah, I really trust his words, anyway.

Honestly, the guy doesn't have much left in the tank. If we got him back it would be purely to have him retire a wing, and if he's bitter, well then that would be completely unecessary to waste the cash on him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wings jersey again, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if he retired a blue jacket.

Guest DetroitIan

What the hell is this gibberish? lol I cant read one sentence. I would like to know what he's actually saying. We need a much better translation than this.

Ya know, I'm getting over the whole Fedorov thing.

I took Mrs. Nkywingsfan to a C-bus/Wings game last season. Part of the reason we went was to see our boys kick their boys' arses, which they did. But I also wanted to watch Feds play one more time. It was good to see him zipping up and down the ice and it didn't seem (to me anyhow) that he has lost much in the speed department. With his first few steps he was still faster than most and he could still turn it on when he needed it. I enjoyed watching him play again.

The thing that got me, though, were the other Wings fans. There were a good number of us in the stands (I'm guessing a 70/30 split). Most of them booed Sergei whenever he touched the puck. At first I thought it was funny. Then I found it tiresome. Finally, it just became rude. The saving grace to all of that was watching some of the veterans give Feds some love after the game.

Not a one of us can do beans about what happened, Feds and the Wings brass included. While I wish events would have happened differently, that a $1.00 will get me a cup of coffee. It is a long time in the past that any of this transpired. I'm just going to let it go.

I will watch Sergei again, and I won't boo. I'll fondly remember his time in Detroit and thank him for all he did. Feds was a huge part of the Wings success during his time with the team. I'm sad that his career is coming to a close, but I'm also very happy that I got to see one of the best Russian players in the world don the Winged Wheel and hoist the Cup. :thumbup:

Ya know, I'm getting over the whole Fedorov thing.

I took Mrs. Nkywingsfan to a C-bus/Wings game last season. Part of the reason we went was to see our boys kick their boys' arses, which they did. But I also wanted to watch Feds play one more time. It was good to see him zipping up and down the ice and it didn't seem (to me anyhow) that he has lost much in the speed department. With his first few steps he was still faster than most and he could still turn it on when he needed it. I enjoyed watching him play again.

The thing that got me, though, were the other Wings fans. There were a good number of us in the stands (I'm guessing a 70/30 split). Most of them booed Sergei whenever he touched the puck. At first I thought it was funny. Then I found it tiresome. Finally, it just became rude. The saving grace to all of that was watching some of the veterans give Feds some love after the game.

Not a one of us can do beans about what happened, Feds and the Wings brass included. While I wish events would have happened differently, that a $1.00 will get me a cup of coffee. It is a long time in the past that any of this transpired. I'm just going to let it go.

I will watch Sergei again, and I won't boo. I'll fondly remember his time in Detroit and thank him for all he did. Feds was a huge part of the Wings success during his time with the team. I'm sad that his career is coming to a close, but I'm also very happy that I got to see one of the best Russian players in the world don the Winged Wheel and hoist the Cup. :thumbup:

I was over it after Fedorov's first few games as a Duck. While I'm not from the Detroit area, I follow a few other teams with probably the same attention as I do with Detroit...the New Orleans Saints, my college TCU, and LSU. A decent bit of attention, I barely miss any games, but I try not to take the stuff too seriously when it comes in terms of players, business, etc.

Kind of comparing apples to oranges with the Fedorov booing and this scenario, but this year one of the best running backs in the nation went to high school in the New Orleans areas, and chose to go to USC instead of LSU to play his college football. LSU fans, generally speaking, started a water works rant that could've flooded the Atlantic Ocean. They thought this running back was a traitor to Louisiana, that they were entitled to him, etc. It was pretty sad and humorous at the same time. I mean let the running back do what he wants to do in college for the next 4-5 years, heaven forbid. It's his life, not the lives of fat beer-bellied LSU fans.

There's just times when fan reaction and behavior just go overboard, like the LSU thing I laid out or with Fedorov. Now, I don't pull my hair out about it or get pissy at it because any actions I try to do won't prevent any of that stuff, I understand why people boo Fedorov and why some LSU fans act the way they do for better/worse, but I don't take part in any of that stuff.

I'm a big fan of these teams, but it's not worth taking so seriously and getting heartburn over as I have no control over what players do or where they go, etc. So, Fedorov left the Red Wings 5 years ago. It's done and over with, it's been time to get over it for a long time now.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Q: Are you disappointed that Anaheim won the Cup without you, when before the owners were counting on you to help the team do that?

A: You see... the offense is very different from defense. Anaheim placed their bets on a goalie and two Dmen, and they played great.

lol Interesting (all his interview) ... but the part that I found really interesting is this part ... I completly agree with feds on this. Anaheim team was based completly on offense and only 2 d-men and a goalie... he is 100% sure ... I know its off topic but everyone is talking about other stuff he said in the interview lol and I thought to bring it up :blush: When niedermayer leaves ... this team will fall even with Pronger Beauchemin Schneids Perry Getzlaf and Giguerre... When you lose a player like niedermayer ... theres no replacing him ... I'm not saying their not cup contenders ... just ... not as much of a threat as they use to be ...

Feds is da man

my take: if and only when they give his number to another player, will the Feds era in Detroit end...hasnt happenend

I'd be kind of surprised if anyone in the NHL, let alone just Detroit, wears the number 91 in the future.

Just like no one would ever choose number 66 or 68, even outside of Pittsburgh.

I'm not necessarily comparing Fedorov to Lemieux...but it's an odd enough number to wear that people would immediately compare you to that person if you were to choose the number.

Edited by scsgoal31

know what i picked up on this article? Feds isn't stupid and doesn't play typical NHL PC bull crap. "i'd be honored to play for such and such team,.etc. etc." Could he have more grace? Absoutlty,....but i can count to a 100 of other athletes (the over whelming majority of them non hockey, who have this kind of "i'm in it for the money" attitutde and it's perfectly acceptable. In fact it's what makes them the ESPN goldenboys that they are.

Guest LivingtheDream

Unfortunately, this translation makes NO sense.

Why so for you to say this toward us speaking from screen like TV? For to sense this does not make to us whose verbs are to to the other words of types in order that is different in order of such words as to make sense does not when translated.

For a good day to you I hope have you!

Guest Crymson

Sports the Express Train

I know there are many people who hate talking about Fedorov, but I thought this interview was kind of interesting. He basically says that the reason he left Detroit is because they changed his contract last minute.

- Could admit(allow), what "Detroit" will call you back?

- I do not know even how to answer. More precisely with what to begin. I in fact was not going to leave anywhere if it is fair. But hockey is not only game. It is business. And when you in this business try to bypass dishonestly, it strongly makes active those qualities owing to which you so much years made the way and won. Persistence, an estimation of the general(common) situation, own career... Understand, about what I speak? We in fact have agreed with a management(manual) of club about one contract and when next day send(have come) it(him) to sign, was found out, that on a table absolutely another lays. Especially nobody knows this history. I not so about it(her) extended. But the deposit from parting with "Detroit" at me has remained not the most pleasant.

Translation: despite having earlier received one of the largest contracts in NHL history, when the time came up for renewal I still didn't care about anything but the big money from whomever would give it to me.

Edited by Crymson

Translation: despite having earlier received one of the largest contracts in NHL history, when the time came up for renewal I still didn't care about anything but the big money from whomever would give it to me.

What Fedorov said pretty much is in line with what I have already heard. The Wings offered a 5 year, 50m deal that Fedorov liked, then changed it to a 4 year, 40m deal. Fedorov instead opted to sign a 5 year, 40m deal. No matter what you think of the guy, that is NOT chasing the money. Please stop regurgitating inaccurate opinions that are likely based on bigotry.

I'd be kind of surprised if anyone in the NHL, let alone just Detroit, wears the number 91 in the future.

I'm not necessarily comparing Fedorov to Lemieux...but it's an odd enough number to wear that people would immediately compare you to that person if you were to choose the number.

Just like # 19?

Joe Sakic, Markus Naslund, Andy McDonald, Shane Doan, Etc...

I think that the only way numbers wont be used is they are retired by thier respective teams and # 99. A lot of players wear numbers of players that they admire. Most likely, somewhere down the line, someone with an affinity for Fedorov will choose 91 to honor him, or just because they like that number (or randomely assigned it.)

Just like # 19?

Joe Sakic, Markus Naslund, Andy McDonald, Shane Doan, Etc...

I think that the only way numbers wont be used is they are retired by thier respective teams and # 99. A lot of players wear numbers of players that they admire. Most likely, somewhere down the line, someone with an affinity for Fedorov will choose 91 to honor him, or just because they like that number (or randomely assigned it.)

Especially considering players have worn #91.

Palffy used to wear 68, but that was because it was assigned to him because the description 'skilled Czech' reminded the equipment manager of Jagr.

If Detroit did that to Fedorov shame on them seriously. He was an essential part of the 3 cup runs and if anyone dosent think that than you are sorly mistaken. 2 Fans need to stop booing Fedorov anytime he get's the puck, seriously he moved on end it at that. Also if Fedorov would to become a free agent next season and he wanted to test the market why not give him a 1 year or 2 year deal. I think a 1 year deal worth 1 mill wont kill or a 2 year for 2 million wont kill but honestly the way Fedorov sounded in that interview, he rather play for Colorado than Detroit.

Oleg Saprykin had #91 while doing his stint on Phoenix... he has since changed to #61

But as I said, i hightly doubt some scrub will wear #91 on the wings again.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest jaytan

I'm pretty sure I've seen guys wearing No. 91. It'll probably become more common when there are guys who were born in 1991 playing in the league (wow, that's soon too). Also, I bet Fedorov is the favorite player to a lot of Russian players, and maybe even a handful of guys who grew up cheering for the Wings or Jackets.