• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingMachine91

one step closer to a team in vegas

Rate this topic

I've heard Rick Tocchet's already applied to be the coach.

That's funny; I don't care who ya are.

Of course, Wayne Gretzky just threw up a little in his mouth.

Why not Wisconsin?

Wisconsin really doesn't have the population. Milwaukee has a hard enough time supporting the Admirals. And, believe me, as a Wisconsin-based Red Wings fan, I'd really like to see it happen.

I can see it now - the NHL's newest expansion franchise the "Las Vegas Hookers"

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Edited by A.T.Hun

I think that Vagas would have a huge fan base... There are alot of northerners who have moved over there. I can see it being supported very easily.

I just dont know how well the ice would coroperate there especially in May and June. Dallas and Florida's ice would be like edmonton compaired to LV.

Now NBA teams... no way especially after the whole ref thing... I cant remember his name but he was making call so the teams he would bet on would win... I dont think the NBA would even consider a team there for atleast a few years.

With what's going on with Tocchet and the NBA ref(s), I don't understand why any one of the 4 Major American Sports would want a team in Vegas. There's to much temptation for the players/coaches/organizations/refs.

Why do we need another team in a non-hockey market? If the NHL didn't work in Phoenix, why is it going to work in Vegas? Bettman and the owners continue to beat a dead horse. If the NHL wants to expand AGAIN, what's wrong with a team in Hamilton Ontario? They got deposits for 16,000 season tickets and 80 Corporate Suites.

Guest jaytan

Bettman hates Canada. It doesn't help his TV revenue and whatnot.

I think with Vegas, they'd be targeting all the tourists, the Northern transplants and all the newcomers (it's a very fast-growing market).

Bettman hates Canada. It doesn't help his TV revenue and whatnot.

Yeah it's crazy :crazy: ! it's like he thinks there's still this one market that will magically get him a huge US tv deal. Hockey is a regional sport with hard core fans, I don't understand why he continues to try and expand like this.

I'll go on the record saying that Vegas will be a poor market, just like Phoenix.

With what's going on with Tocchet and the NBA ref(s), I don't understand why any one of the 4 Major American Sports would want a team in Vegas. There's to much temptation for the players/coaches/organizations/refs.

Why do we need another team in a non-hockey market? If the NHL didn't work in Phoenix, why is it going to work in Vegas? Bettman and the owners continue to beat a dead horse. If the NHL wants to expand AGAIN, what's wrong with a team in Hamilton Ontario? They got deposits for 16,000 season tickets and 80 Corporate Suites.

Are you serious? Having a major league sport to put money on in Vegas is where its at. They could make half the arena entirely suites and theyd get em filled up all the time for big rollers. Phoenix isnt even a fraction of a draw that Las Vegas is. Las Vegas has people coming in from all over the WORLD year round, and the majority of them are adults. Its essentially Disney World for anyone over 21..

Are you serious? Having a major league sport to put money on in Vegas is where its at. They could make half the arena entirely suites and theyd get em filled up all the time for big rollers. Phoenix isnt even a fraction of a draw that Las Vegas is. Las Vegas has people coming in from all over the WORLD year round, and the majority of them are adults. Its essentially Disney World for anyone over 21..

Who's going to go to Vegas to see a Hockey game? People go to Vegas to get out of the cold.

Guest jaytan

Are you serious? Having a major league sport to put money on in Vegas is where its at. They could make half the arena entirely suites and theyd get em filled up all the time for big rollers....

They might have trouble with that. If Vegas had an NHL team, it would be completely off the books. You couldn't place any bets involving them (legally). The league probably wouldn't want any of its players, coaches and other staff situated in Gambling Central, USA. If a player runs up gambling debts he can't handle, he may be tempted to do something to effect outcomes of games, or maybe hook a bookie up with one of his buddies on another team or something.

Yeah it's crazy :crazy: ! it's like he thinks there's still this one market that will magically get him a huge US tv deal. Hockey is a regional sport with hard core fans, I don't understand why he continues to try and expand like this.

I'll go on the record saying that Vegas will be a poor market, just like Phoenix.

If Vegas is a comparable market to Phoenix, then it will (like Phoenix) support its team significantly better than Winnipeg, Hartford, or Minnesota did.

I'd rather see a team in a northern, preferably Canadian market than Vegas.

However I'd rather see a team in Vegas than Houston.

Realistically, every city in Canada capable of supporting a team has one.

There are MANY cities in the US capable of doing so that don't have one.

I think this could be good for the NHL but there could be a darkside.

Bob McGowen had a former 'wise-guy' gangster on his show (forgive me, I can't remember his name).

Anyway, this wise-guy said there should never be a pro sports team in Vegas because it's way too easy to get to these guys to fix games or shed point spreads.

He said how they did it back in the day was, if a guy had a vice like woman or gambling, they'd purposley get them over a barrel. If the guy was really into the ladies, but was married, they'd set him up with a girl and take photos of it. Next thing you know, they have the guy on the payroll. Or maybe the guy was really into gambling so they get him in deep and then say "No problem. We'll wax your debt, but you have to miss a few jump shots", or "Swallow the whistle in the last 5 minutes".

With the players living in Vegas he said it would only make it easier to get to some guys.

This gangster now works with pro teams and their players, counselling them so they know how to stay out of these tight spots. But there's always a few weak apples that can't resist certain temptations.

Who knows if this would happen to the NHL or if the mob would even care about the sport. But this guy seemed pretty adamant that no pro sports team, including the NHL, should have a team in Vegas.

It was an interesting interview nonetheless.

EDIT: I found his name - Michael Franzese. He wrote a book called Blood Covenant.

Hank, good point but I will put this out there for folks to think about...

Twenty years ago, gambling was Vegas and Atlantic City. Now though, can you name an US city that has or wants and NHL franchise that doesn't have gambling within a two hour drive, let alone within it's city limits?

Hell, the Devils have just as big of a chance to mob ties as a Vegas club.

On another note, a team in Vegas shouldn't have a problem getting sponsors.