• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest snowman89

Why is everyone so against ESPN?

Rate this topic

Guest snowman89

Why is everyone so against ESPN? Is it just because they ditched hockey? Or are there actually some legitimate reasons? If you live in the US what do you watch for sports information? Outside of the Detroit Sports Report which is decent at best there is no other outlets.

Just curious every know and again, people trash ESPN I am just wondering what the deal is?

Guest snowman89

I hate basketball and baseball and racing... so what else is left on ESPN?

Poker, LOL

Guest Yzer19

Because ESPN hates hockey and imo it seems like they also hate all Detroit sports teams.

Why is everyone so against ESPN? Is it just because they ditched hockey? Or are there actually some legitimate reasons? If you live in the US what do you watch for sports information? Outside of the Detroit Sports Report which is decent at best there is no other outlets.

Just curious every know and again, people trash ESPN I am just wondering what the deal is?

As a sports fan i love ESPN but as a hockey fan i hate it. They do football baseball basketball and NASCAR so good that it ticks people off that they wont do hockey like the other sports.

Guest snowman89

Because ESPN hates hockey and imo it seems like they also hate all Detroit sports teams.

I dont think they Hate hockey, they just dont carry it so why should they report it, simple business, dont get me wrong I dont like that hockey is not on ESPN,

There was a bit of negative Detroit Vibe but only from a few of the super ****** hockey guys melrose(and only sometimes) and Bill Clemente, but his retarded so I am not that worried.

I hate ESPN because when they had the NHL, they treated it like it was the ugly child that they were trying to hide. They canceled NHL 2 night. They would not talk about games on Sportscenter as well show a few clips. After the NHL was off ESPN they did the same thing.

I watch BBC World News Sports report (They love Detroit, good positive reports on the Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons from their playoff runs) and Sky Sports News. Sometimes ill watch Sportscenter Asia.http://www.espnstar.com/studio/studio_sportscenter.html

It's not just the television, it's all ESPN media. Go look for some recent NHL articles. They are very condescending to the NHL and it's fans. Basically writing as though it's best to put us out of our misery.

Not to mention the whole Sid the Kid vs. Derek Jeter in the "Who's now" poll.

(In case you don't know, Sid won, and ESPN vetoed the win and put Jeter on top.)

Edit: There was a particularly bad article recently, and I can't find it just yet, or I'd add a link.

Edited by EastLansingNative

I hate basketball and baseball and racing... so what else is left on ESPN?

bowling, darts, and the National Spelling Bee

Don't forget the WNBA

Don't forget the WNBA

having they added like eating contests too or something? I tend not to watch ESPN any more, really olny for the highlights of baseball, when i feel like it. TSN's Sportscentre shows more on any pro sport then ESPN's Sportscenter. its kinda sad.

Guest snowman89

I hate ESPN because when they had the NHL, they treated it like it was the ugly child that they were trying to hide. They canceled NHL 2 night. They would not talk about games on Sportscenter as well show a few clips. After the NHL was off ESPN they did the same thing.

I watch BBC World News Sports report (They love Detroit, good positive reports on the Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons from their playoff runs) and Sky Sports News. Sometimes ill watch Sportscenter Asia.http://www.espnstar.com/studio/studio_sportscenter.html

How do you get that channel? what cable service do you have?

having they added like eating contests too or something? I tend not to watch ESPN any more, really olny for the highlights of baseball, when i feel like it. TSN's Sportscentre shows more on any pro sport then ESPN's Sportscenter. its kinda sad.

They run the Hot dog eating competition that is on the 4th of July

Like almost any other business, they decide what's "popular" and what's not. All they have to do is over hype it and people watch it (i.e. hot dog eating contest and poker or golf I mean Tiger Woods ) plain and simple. While they are building up all of these other "sports" and their "stars", they seem to look down on hockey and usually ignored their stars which only accelerated after Gretzky left. It is becoming MTV with its "Bling Bling" street ball( If I want to watch that I will look out my window) They speak as though Miami is a real sports town and oh yeah, If it is not something New York, Chicago, or Miami/Dallas related, it barely gets talked about.

The only time they do give hockey a mention is when they feel the need to discuss its tv ratings by comparing them to poker and reruns of Murder She Wrote for like 5 seconds. Why not give mention to the many great stars in the game, the pace, toughness, and likability of the players? That negative coverage does nothing more than drive fans away from the sport. What is their beef with hockey?

Guest jaytan

I hate ESPN because they ignore or denigrate hockey and most of their programming sucks. Even if I weren't a hockey fan and loved basketball and baseball (I actually do like football, but that's beside the point), I wouldn't want to watch 75 per cent of their programming. It's garbage, and their commentators are annoying.

What rock did you crawl from under, this is a redwings hockey site, espn dropped hockey and never mentions it on air till like 4am. Why do you think no one here likes espn, duh?

But I also believe that espn needs to pick up hockey again so the sport i love so much will get the tv time it needs to thrive....

My 2 cents :cool:

Guest snowman89

I guess I am shallow, I LOVE ESPN, I cant live with out it, i am a huge sports freak of all sports, except NASCAR I hate it.

Whats with all the little league baseball they have been showing lately?? Im flippin through channels, and there I come across little kids playing baseball... Dont get me wrong, little league baseball is great for the kids and all that, but I mean come on... seriously ESPN.... you have NOTHING better to cover. Gimme a break.

I love ESPN. I was bummed big time though when they decided to not play hockey on their channel anymore. I loved Thursday night hockey on ESPN, and then NHL2NIGHT afterwards. They need to bring that all back.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

The bias that comes from ESPN is unbelievable, and as they're considered the number one sports media outlet, it goes without saying that they're coverage should be pretty fair across the board. So what if they don't have a contract to show nhl games? They can still show highlights and not sabotage the nhl's already dwindling reputation. The majority of nhl coverage is stretched to make the nhl look worse. Illegal cheap shot, frustration over a loss, ugly politics; thats what they're interested in showing America.

And its not just against hockey. Theres an entire hierarchy of their views on sports, depending on the season. September to February nfl reigns supreme and their smallest, wimpiest news will make headlines over any other sports "real" news. After the nfl season is over, nba takes over, with an island of domination coming from the ncaa during March. After basketball ends, baseball gets its moment in the spotlight, occasionally stepping over for spelling bees, eating competition, poker, and whatever else is considered a sport now-a-days.

I was actually thinking earlier today how awesome it would be if someone actually made a sports news website that was completely unbiased and had the most significant news as headlines, despite what sport its coming from. Equal attention to every detail, including playoffs, off seasons, trades, fantasy leagues, rumors, etc etc.

espn equals mtv. It's a channel that was once great and is now an illegitimate joke. All they care about is ratings and not necessarily sports. That is why I'm not a big fan of any kind of news channels, because they're mostly concerned about entertainment over actually reporting the news. In this case, espn's biggest worry is ratings, and that should be for the 4 major networks to worry about and not a sports channel. Oh and by the way, I hate them because the only time they mention hockey is to make jokes or talk about some scandal the league might have.

I get all my sports news from the internet. Every so often I'll put on SportsCenter in the back ground. But after about 20 minutes of listening to them drive the same stories into the ground over & over, I lose it. I can stomach NFL network easier. But hockey on U.S. television is an urban myth.

I dislike ESPN b/c it's lack of NHL coverage. When it does mention hockey it's usually negative.

I mentioned it in-depth in this thread.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...=44732&st=0

In addition it seems to me ESPN would rather focus on entertainment and non-sports.

A Newsweek article said this ... "In recent years, networkwide, that balance has begun to tip unmistakenly toward the kind of athletic-centric idol worship that seems more like the province of Us Weekly than ESPN."

That statement in undeniably true IMO. For the most part the network's anchors are boorish and annoying.

In addition it seems to me ESPN would rather focus on entertainment and non-sports.

A Newsweek article said this ... "In recent years, networkwide, that balance has begun to tip unmistakenly toward the kind of athletic-centric idol worship that seems more like the province of Us Weekly than ESPN."

That statement in undeniably true IMO. For the most part the network's anchors are boorish and annoying.

I read that article as well, and couldn't agree more with it. I can't stand espn for obvious reasons. What really errkks me is when the Wings or any other team for that matter, win the cup, and then that cup winning game doesn't even make the lead espn story. I've said it before, and i'll say it again, the only thing espn is good for, is the espn news channel with the continual scroll of scores.