• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

UFC 74

Rate this topic

I didnt see it. The UFC kinda irritates me when the put together what i feel are lackluster cards, so i dont order ones like this. GSP vs Koschek was really the only fight i truly cared about...sounds like it went how i expected with GSP taking it! As for the main event, I felt going in Gonzaga was just an extremely overblown undercard fighter because of his head kick on Cro Cop, and it showed as apparently Couture totally dominated him. The heavyweight division continues to be a mess. They need to just bring Fedor over, as he'll kill Randy and will at least legitimize the division once again. Im not trying to sound like im not knocking Randy, but him being the champ at this stage in his career just speaks volumes about how bad the division is.

Im looking forward to the freebie UFC75 coming to Spike in a few weeks, that one looks pretty good!

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Just caught the Babalu fight on dailymotion. That thing was bloody as hell!! Total domination. Had Gonzaga not busted his nose that fight would have looked WAY differently. He couldn't breathe. That said, I don't think he's a true contender, yet. Beating CroCop, and only CroCop, does not make you a contender (see Randleman).

I hope Dana capitulates on the the Sambo competitions (apparently the biggest sticking point in the Fedor negotiations). Also Couture has asked to fight Fedor. There is big pressure on Dana right now because a Couture/Emelianenko HW Title Unification bout is the biggest sell imaginable out there. Nothing would be a bigger draw as they're by FAR the most popular heavyweights out there and both legends of the sport. And Randy, as unbelievably fit as he is, isn't getting any younger.

The only bad thing is that it likely won't be that competitive of a fight. Randy's game, but horribly outmatched.

great fights. I loved it. the last fight was the best. I forgot their names tho! The GSP fight was great. when your around a ton of Canadians its even crazier. Nathan and our friends went nuts for him.

Just caught the Babalu fight on dailymotion. That thing was bloody as hell!! Total domination. Had Gonzaga not busted his nose that fight would have looked WAY differently. He couldn't breathe. That said, I don't think he's a true contender, yet. Beating CroCop, and only CroCop, does not make you a contender (see Randleman).

The fight was amazing. I hear Sobral is about to be suspended because he held on to long afterwards and could of killed him!

Babalu is being investigated by the NSAC, but I doubt he'll be suspended. He held the choke about 2 seconds after the ref tapped him (then started pulling on his arm). Granted that was a second or two after Heath tapped, but you're also told not to let up until the ref tells you.

Babalu did admit he held the choke to send a message about respect, but he was quite a long way off of killing Heath.

IPB Image

Renato looks like he just came from a shift at the slaughter house...

And a before pic...

IPB Image

Babalu is being investigated by the NSAC, but I doubt he'll be suspended. He held the choke about 2 seconds after the ref tapped him (then started pulling on his arm). Granted that was a second or two after Heath tapped, but you're also told not to let up until the ref tells you.

Babalu did admit he held the choke to send a message about respect, but he was quite a long way off of killing Heath.

IPB Image

Renato looks like he just came from a shift at the slaughter house...

And a before pic...

IPB Image

And this pic..

IPB Image

Freaking crazy!

I wish Babalu would drop to 185. I like him and he's good, but i just dont ever see him being anything other than on the outskirts of the 205 division. Im not sure if he's ever went down to middleweight or not, i know he used to compete at heavyweight a long time ago...but looking at him it seems like a cut in weight might best suit him.

I think he'd be a tough fight with Franklin as well as Anderson Silva.

Guest DetroitIan

Just watched "the Natural" Randy Couture, dominate a young monster with heavy hands in Gabriel Gonzaga. I couldnt afford to order UFC 74. So I have to download all the fights individually this time. First one I got was Randy's fight. And wow. I am so impressed by the Natural. The dude hasnt lost a step at age 44. If anything, he has somehow managed to get better. He was man-handling and overpowering a giant in Gonzaga. Randy looks like a man possessed out there. A blast to watch. And Is it just me, or does anyone else think Couture would beat Liddell if they fought a 4th time. Which would be sweet, cause then they would be split, 2 wins a piece. Which would then set up, Couture Vs Liddell 5! lol

I wish Babalu would drop to 185. I like him and he's good, but i just dont ever see him being anything other than on the outskirts of the 205 division. Im not sure if he's ever went down to middleweight or not, i know he used to compete at heavyweight a long time ago...but looking at him it seems like a cut in weight might best suit him.

I think he'd be a tough fight with Franklin as well as Anderson Silva.

I'd wait and see how he fares against the new crop of signees. Apart from one sloppy loss and a couple to Liddell (who I doubt will be standing in his way from here on out) Babalu has an impressive record the last few years. And for the most part his losses are to premier guys (or at least they were premier when he lost to them). Plus he's got a win over Shogun that I'm guessing Mauricio would love to erase.

I'd wait and see how he fares against the new crop of signees. Apart from one sloppy loss and a couple to Liddell (who I doubt will be standing in his way from here on out) Babalu has an impressive record the last few years. And for the most part his losses are to premier guys (or at least they were premier when he lost to them). Plus he's got a win over Shogun that I'm guessing Mauricio would love to erase.

True, the Lambert loss is really the only bad blemish, but his future at 205 still just doesnt look that good to me. Especially now with the all new faces to the UFC like Rampage, Henderson, Shogun, etc, and Chuck still being up there...its going to push him further to the background. Plus theres still Tito, who the UFC will continue to push as a top carder in that division no matter what. He's a good fighter but Shogun would probably overwhelm him at this point i think. As far as competing for a belt and making more of a name for himself in the UFC ,185 would really be the place for him, just suggesting it because he doesnt really look all that big at 205 and appears a little bit flabby too. My money would be on him over Anderson... (but then i again i thought Marquardt would beat him too!)

Babalu isn't ripped, but he's not as chubby as say Fedor who could drop to 205 without too much trouble (he's only 5-10lbs heavier than the top 205ers he just doesn't bother cutting weight). Sobral is fairly thick and probably weighed about 215-220 at the opening bell. I still say he's got a title fight left in him, and if he's smarter about who he matches up with (rather than trying to trade punches with Liddell) he could win a belt. Probably best to stay where he's comfortable than move down and re-establish himself.

Or he could take the Couture route and move up to HW after losing to Chuck... ;)

Babalu dropped A LOT of weight. He was getting pretty chubby and then all of a sudden come weigh in time he's ripped with a bad ass body. I love that man. Haha

I think he's got a bright future. He's going to be a champ someday. Sooner rather than later.

This is f-ing INSANE and downright BS. Because he held onto a choke for 2 seconds too long? It's such crap. As if he's the first to ever done that. There's been worse s*** from different fighters and they don't get canned.

My heart is broken. :(

I think he's got a bright future. He's going to be a champ someday. Sooner rather than later.

Or not. :crybaby:

Guest DetroitIan

I've liked Babalu for quite awhile now. But what he did was complete bulls***. I was rooting for Sobral throughout the entire fight, but I was PISSED when I seen what he did at the end. Whether he could have killed him or not, that was the most classless thing I've ever seen in the UFC. And I've been watching since about '91. I definitely hope he gets to stay in the UFC. But he needs to get punished in some way. There's just no room for that bulls*** in the octogon.

I've liked Babalu for quite awhile now. But what he did was complete bulls***. I was rooting for Sobral throughout the entire fight, but I was PISSED when I seen what he did at the end. Whether he could have killed him or not, that was the most classless thing I've ever seen in the UFC. And I've been watching since about '91. I definitely hope he gets to stay in the UFC. But he needs to get punished in some way. There's just no room for that bulls*** in the octogon.

Well, yeah..what he did was awful and you're right he should get punished. A fine and long suspension would of been fine. Kicking him out of the UFC is completely overboard. Dana messed up big time.

Quite a trick considering the UFC didn't even exist until '93. Babalu isn't even the first guy to hold his choke a bit long this year alone. BJ Penn held it about the same length vs Pulver. The only difference being the ref jumped in quicker on Babalu. That and Pulver wasn't lying in a pool of his on blood and tapped quicker (Heath tapping late caused he extra couple seconds to put him out).

And none of this even approaches the point that Dana ******* White exhibits anything BUT class. On what basis can he expect more from his fighters if he doesn't show any himself?

Oh well...

I think my keyboard is dying..... :(

Guest DetroitIan

Quite a trick considering the UFC didn't even exist until '93.

I said it was "about 1991", as in, I wasnt sure exactly when I started watching, I just knew it was early 90s.

Babalu isn't even the first guy to hold his choke a bit long this year alone. BJ Penn held it about the same length vs Pulver. The only difference being the ref jumped in quicker on Babalu.

Despite the ref jumping in quickly. That was STILL no excuse at all for Sobral to continue the choke. I seen what BJ Penn did, and he absolutely did not hold the choke as long as Babalu did.

And none of this even approaches the point that Dana ******* White exhibits anything BUT class. On what basis can he expect more from his fighters if he doesn't show any himself?

That's true in a sense. But Dana White being classless, is a whole different ball game, compared to fighter closing off the windpipe of another fighter. Babalu wanted some revenge? Well then beat the guy in the octogon. That's true revenge. Not holding a choke for 3 seconds after the fight was stopped. In fact, he just let Heath win in a way. Cause now Babalu will be repremanded in some way. And Im sure Heath is laughing his ass off, now that Babalu might be kicked out of the biggest league in MMA.

Well, yeah..what he did was awful and you're right he should get punished. A fine and long suspension would of been fine. Kicking him out of the UFC is completely overboard. Dana messed up big time.

Absolutely. That's exactly what needs to happen. Fine and suspend. DONT completely kick the guy out. Im SURE Babalu will never make this mistake again. It was a one time thing. I hope Dana makes the right decision here. The UFC doesnt wanna lose a bad ass like Babalu. So hopefully no decision has been finalized just yet. So far I just heard Dana was pissed. Im not sure if Babalu is officially kicked out yet. I sure hope not.

Absolutely. That's exactly what needs to happen. Fine and suspend. DONT completely kick the guy out. Im SURE Babalu will never make this mistake again. It was a one time thing. I hope Dana makes the right decision here. The UFC doesnt wanna lose a bad ass like Babalu. So hopefully no decision has been finalized just yet. So far I just heard Dana was pissed. Im not sure if Babalu is officially kicked out yet. I sure hope not.

It is finalized. They took away his contract. He's done. :(

It sucks but you had to expect something like this to happen. The UFC is going mainstream and is trying extremely hard to shed the "barbaric" image of the sport some people still have of it. Case in point is the way they continually stress how their fighters are protected whenever theyre on a show like a ESPNews. Unfortunately Babalu had to be the one theyd make an example of, as i was saying he's on the backburner of his division anyway so they probably felt it wasnt that great of a loss to them. Especially with the new guys coming over. He'll go on to IFC or the IFL or whatever and dominate im sure...

Guest DetroitIan

i ckecked the website and he's still listed as a fighter.. and it doesn't say anything on the news part of the website

Yeah same here. If someone has a link on his firing, please post it. Im really curious to find out what exactly what happend with Babalu's punishment.

Dont forget! UFC 75 is FREE on Spike TV. September 8th(this Saturday). The fight card looks pretty exciting. I cant WAIT to see what Rampage can do against Henderson. Should be a blast!

Yeah same here. If someone has a link on his firing, please post it. Im really curious to find out what exactly what happend with Babalu's punishment.

Dont forget! UFC 75 is FREE on Spike TV. September 8th(this Saturday). The fight card looks pretty exciting. I cant WAIT to see what Rampage can do against Henderson. Should be a blast!

yeah im stoked for this card, also can't wait to see Bisping and cro cop should come back strong

My god Cro Cop is a bum! What a total flop he's been. I really hope they dont try and push Kongo now for a title shot, if he's thrown in a main event against Couture no way will i be ordering it...he's crap. Randy would beat him within 2 rounds. A couple pretty decent fights last night, i kinda thought Bisping was given a hometown decision though. Really close, and i'd have to see it again, but I thought Hamill won. The main event was ok, a little slow early on, but ok. The UFC needs Jackson to keep winning as he's the new face of the organization, as he has by far the most crossover appeal of anyone theyve ever had because of his personality. All in all, decent night...but i still can not believe they are actually pushing friggin Liddell vs Jardine as the main event of UFC 76. What world do we live in where you can get knocked out in 40 seconds against a nobody and be in your first ppv main event your next fight? Shogun vs Forrest though was a really smart move on their part. What better way to establish Rua to the UFC fans by having him beat on one of their most popular fighters.