• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

Fantasy Hockey Leagues?

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

I've played Fantasy Hockey on Yahoo for the past 5 years. It's the best. I can't wait for it to start up.

Guest DetroitIan

isnt yahoo free? i want to try playing for money....

I believe they have an option to play in money leagues, as well as free leagues. But Im not sure. I dont play for money when it comes to fantasy hockey. I only play for money when Im playing fantasy football. Although I only have 1 Championship in the past 4 seasons of football. But I have 4 fantasy hockey championships in 4 years. So maybe Im playing the wrong sport cash. lol

I believe Yahoo has a Premium service which you pay money for and receive money.

I should do that because right now i am back2back champion... In fact last season, never trailed the entire season... was in first place by a landslide and cruised into the cup finals and won the whole thing! nice.

The site here will be having two official leagues: One is a buy-in, one free. There'll be an announcement once they are set up.

I defintely want in on the Free one. I thought I was signing up for that one last season because it was off of this site.. but I was sadly mistaken... 18 teams joined and 12 of them were effing Dead Teams. So I would like to play in a league that people actually try in.

Its funny someone should post about this... i was just thinking about it. Ive never played fantasy anything... and was wondering how the point system worked. Ive had my roomies try to explain fantasy football to me, but it might as well have been in hyroglyphics (im football retarded).

Anyone care to take the time to explain it? or have a link where I can learn? I'm really interested in trying a free league this season.

Its funny someone should post about this... i was just thinking about it. Ive never played fantasy anything... and was wondering how the point system worked. Ive had my roomies try to explain fantasy football to me, but it might as well have been in hyroglyphics (im football retarded).

Anyone care to take the time to explain it? or have a link where I can learn? I'm really interested in trying a free league this season.

There are usually two types of leagues; Head to Head leagues, and Rotisserie leagues. In both leagues, there are a number of different 'chosen' statistics used for scoring.

In a Head to Head (or H2H) league, each week your team is put up against another team, and you win, lose or tie categories. These wins, losses, and ties are added to your overall record, which determines standings.

In a Rotisserie league, your cumulative total over the entire season is usd in each category, and you receive points based on your rank. We'll use a 12-team league for examples. Some leagues would award 12 points for first place and getting the most points wins...others would award points equal to your rank, and the fewest wins. Ties are generally handled by dividing the total points for all positions occupied by the tie by the number of positions occupied; for example, a three way tie for second place would yield 10 points (or 3 points) for each team involved, while a two way tie would yield 10.5 (or 2.5) and a four-way tie would yield 9.5 (or 3.5) points.

Somehow, back in the deepest reaches of my mind.. I knew you were up at this hour on a sunday, Eva.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it... and the H2H meathod seems to be a better way for me to go (at least more intriguinging). It seems to be closer to the football meathod of game that my roomies attempted to teach me, and therefore makes more sense. plus, I like the idea of matching up for a week, and treating it like one single game, then moving on. The accumulation thing would drive me nuts if the players I chose played terribly.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

The site here will be having two official leagues: One is a buy-in, one free. There'll be an announcement once they are set up.

I don't remember who ran it last year but we did have an LGW yahoo league. I had alot of fun doing it and want to do it again. Unfortunately we had about 5 bad apples who wouldn't update their rosters and basically tanked the league. One guy even dumped all of his stars onto the FA pool, leading to some really unpleasant exchanges between other owners until cooler heads prevailed.

If there is going to be an LGW yahoo (free) league please count me in! Although I think we need to limit the number of teams. Last year it felt like we had 4 teams too many. And based on the # of owners who tanked the league, it might be a good idea to drop some teams.

Just curious, who played in that league?

My team name was Old Time Hockey. I think I finished in the top 4? (I can't remember the outcome of the playoffs)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

:D

*Points to signature*

Sidenote: To answer your question GS&T, I used the same Team name as my LGW screen name.

Mac, I thought you were the one who ran the league last year? Do you remember or know any of the LGW'ers by their screen name that played the entire fantasy season and made the playoffs?

I think I ended up having to battle for the 3rd place spot but can't remember.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

GS&T -- The Official LGW leagues are limited to 12-teams. We switched to that format last season and it led to a much more competitive league. Overall I think we only had one or two teams that "tanked" after their teams were out of competition. Many members say they are starting "LGW leagues", but only the one I post (and commish) is official.

The free league will, again, be hosted by Yahoo. Only a couple spots generally open up in this one as previous GMs are welcomed back season after season.

I've opted to also have a buy-in league (I'm going to front the setup cost to try and keep the buy-in cost low for players) and there will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes.

Prizes will also be out for the free "Pucks & Pigskin" Fantasy Football league, which has its draft this Friday. (Gift Certs for this one.)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

GS&T -- The Official LGW leagues are limited to 12-teams. We switched to that format last season and it led to a much more competitive league. Overall I think we only had one or two teams that "tanked" after their teams were out of competition. Many members say they are starting "LGW leagues", but only the one I post (and commish) is official.

The free league will, again, be hosted by Yahoo. Only a couple spots generally open up in this one as previous GMs are welcomed back season after season.

I've opted to also have a buy-in league (I'm going to front the setup cost to try and keep the buy-in cost low for players) and there will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes.

Prizes will also be out for the free "Pucks & Pigskin" Fantasy Football league, which has its draft this Friday. (Gift Certs for this one.)

Ahh! Thanks Matt. Yeah, I played in NFM's Yahoo league last year. If there is a spot I'd like to join in the free but I understand returning GM's have 1st dibs.

PS: Mac, if you're doing your league again I'd definitely play in that one as well.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Ahh! Thanks Matt. Yeah, I played in NFM's Yahoo league last year. If there is a spot I'd like to join in the free but I understand returning GM's have 1st dibs.

PS: Mac, if you're doing your league again I'd definitely play in that one as well.

As Matt said, I didn't run a league last year. The league I won, was the official one that Matt was the Commish of.

Sidenote: The only "game" I ran last year was the Playoff Picks Game.

NFM actually won the LGW Free league last year, unseating Oslo (who was a three-time champ.)

Hey Matt, Can I reserve a spot on the LGW league, I would like to do both. Free and Pay if possible. I am an consistent player and never tank my teams. I love it I check yahoo! every day to see if registration has began.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

NFM actually won the LGW Free league last year, unseating Oslo (who was a three-time champ.)

Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean I was in said league and have a spot reserved?

to bad we couldn't really trust anyone on here to just send them our entry fee and have them give the money out to the top 3 or 5 winners for the season, dependind on how many people would join. I love playing fantasy hockey it keeps me on the info of every player almost, so when it comes down to the trade dead line you almost already have a clue of who can do what and know who maybe detroit should get.

And I was the one who absolutely tanked... my goaltending was horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

Hopefully this year is quite different, and I draft a tad better.

Edited by GoCryWolfe

to bad we couldn't really trust anyone on here to just send them our entry fee and have them give the money out to the top 3 or 5 winners for the season, dependind on how many people would join

Well, you can trust me -- since it IS the site's official league. Entry fees will be likely have to be submitted via PayPal and will be conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Depending on how popular that is, there *may* me another -- but we'll have to see. I love the competitive nature of buy-in leagues since virtually every GM (unless desperately out of contention) stays active throughout.

to bad we couldn't really trust anyone on here to just send them our entry fee and have them give the money out to the top 3 or 5 winners for the season, dependind on how many people would join. I love playing fantasy hockey it keeps me on the info of every player almost, so when it comes down to the trade dead line you almost already have a clue of who can do what and know who maybe detroit should get.

Actually, people did trust me with their money throughout the whole "Bernie" shirt escapade during this past year's playoffs. Since I was a CS'er, had a few years of tenure, and I think my post count helped the trust factor a little bit as well, a good amount of people trusted me with their money. I then turned it over without delay so the shirts could be purchased. The transaction went off without a complication.

I'm not saying I'm volunteering to do that with a fantasy league, since I will again be in Matt's (as well as 3 Fantasy Football League's), but I might consider it.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest DetroitIan

Well, you can trust me -- since it IS the site's official league. Entry fees will be likely have to be submitted via PayPal and will be conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Depending on how popular that is, there *may* me another -- but we'll have to see. I love the competitive nature of buy-in leagues since virtually every GM (unless desperately out of contention) stays active throughout.

Absolutely. Count me in. Not to brag by any means. But I view myself as a very good fantasy hockey gm. I've won 4 consecutive championships. However, I never play for money. So its sweet and all. But I only get bragging rights with the people In my leagues. Never cash. So I think this is definitely the year to start playing in a money league. Im excited. And Im guessing it will be sometime early October. So I'll keep my eyes open for the announcement. :thumbup:

I havent played in one before, but I am really serious about putting in the effort. I watch every single wings game on tv, and I will be getting Center Ice so I can keep updated on goings on around the NHL.

I'd like to get my name on the list for a spot on the free LGW league. If not, I'll just keep my ear to the ground and try to get in when the league is forming.