• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

The Hockey News Top 50 current players

Rate this topic

That's the worst list I've ever seen in my entire life and no-one should ever look at it because it will make them stupider in an instant. If you want to see some good hockey players in order you're more likely to see them in a shopping list.

Just bumping this thread so everyone remembers how much Z-bashing was going on before the season now that he's gone and proven he is without a doubt top-five in the NHL.

Gotta force-feed people the crow when you have the chance don't ya? :D

Lists like these are always heavily subjective. That Sidney Crosby should be first is difficult to argue against but after that it gets more difficult.

This season I'd put AO > Crosby no question. Even if Sid wasn't injured it's not like there was nobody else on the team to help get themselves to the #2 spot. Ovechkin virtually single-handedly took the Caps from the bottom of the league to the top of the division in less than the span of a season. That performance reflected in the NHL Awards and imo it should be reflected on such lists.

This season I'd put AO > Crosby no question. Even if Sid wasn't injured it's not like there was nobody else on the team to help get themselves to the #2 spot. Ovechkin virtually single-handedly took the Caps from the bottom of the league to the top of the division in less than the span of a season. That performance reflected in the NHL Awards and imo it should be reflected on such lists.

Yeah I made that comment a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

haha,i saw the time stamp right away then enjoyed reading people vehemately (sp?) deny that Z could be a top 5 player, kudos to the guy for standing up for Z, although i would have too, it was still enjoyable to read. anyone making a list yet going in for next season?

When you take as much flak for your opinions around here as I do...yes.

Not even just the Z thing, but the Crosby-Lidstrom thing. Compare/contrast how the Pens did with Crosby hurt vs. how the Wings did with Lidstrom hurt.

I too missed the timestamp and almost went off on some of you. Whoops.

Guest nutz2u

Anyone that thinks Sedin is better than Datsyuk doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

When you take as much flak for your opinions around here as I do...yes.

Well it works both ways, kiddo. You gonna eat crow for not putting Datsyuk in your top 20?

Well it works both ways, kiddo. You gonna eat crow for not putting Datsyuk in your top 20?

I will admit I ranked him lower than he proved to deserve.

HOWEVER, I had him at #22 on my list (obviously I only posted the top 20) while he was ranked at #36 by TSN, and you'll notice I was not called out for ranking Dats too low except by perhaps one or two members. Most of the board agreed that Dats was definitely outside the top 15-20 players. So in that regard, pretty much everyone on the board gets some crow. Kira might be the only member on LGW who would have ranked Dats in the top five or ten in the league going into the year.

Yeah, his name is Sidney Crosby.

Even with Malkin the Pens are nothing without Sid. The lists put forth by THN or anybody else are typically bad, but every one of them has Sid at #1 and none of them have Lidstrom higher than what, 3 or 4? Everyone will debate #2-50 until they're blue in the face but there's a reason why all the lists have Sid at #1 and Lids NOT at #1.

In 2 years Crosby has carried the Pens from 22-46-14 to 47-24-11. That's absurd. No player has had an impact like that in years on his teams' success.

Not too mention he already own 9 NHL records.

Not too mention he contributed to over 42% of the Pens goals. Lids was 24.7%

Not too mention he just won the Hart Trophy AND The Pearson. So basically, the hockey writers and the PLAYERS THEMSEVLES, think he's the best player today.

So you're going against both recently published lists, the majority of professional hockey writers and the majority of NHL players playing today.

Show me one person who isn't a Wings fan that would put Lidstrom at #1?

You can't. Taking your team from 22 wins to 47 wins, leading the league in scoring, and winning all of the MVP awards isn't having a positive impact every single night?

I don't want to be painted as a Lidstrom hater so I'll just state for the record that I think he's in the top 5 best players in the league today. But he isn't #1. And putting him #1 is a bit homeristic of you IMO because as great as he is his impact is not on the level of Crosby's.

This is stupid. You can't compare D-men with forwards and Goalies. There needs to be a separate list for each. Crosby is certainly one of the best forwards while Lids is the best D-man but it makes no sense to debate if Crosby is better than Lids or vice versa. They play different positions.

IMO though I'd take Z over Crosby. It was great that we got to see them play against each other in the SCF. Z clearly outplayed Crosby. I don't know how anybody can argue that Crosby is better after watching those 5 on 3's.

Of course Crosby is Canadian so he must be better.............

I will admit I ranked him lower than he proved to deserve.

HOWEVER, I had him at #22 on my list (obviously I only posted the top 20) while he was ranked at #36 by TSN, and you'll notice I was not called out for ranking Dats too low except by perhaps one or two members. Most of the board agreed that Dats was definitely outside the top 15-20 players. So in that regard, pretty much everyone on the board gets some crow. Kira might be the only member on LGW who would have ranked Dats in the top five or ten in the league going into the year.

You had him at #22? Okay. You have too much time.

Regardless, you shouldn't try to make people eat crow for not predicting the future. While I agree Z was top 10 after last season, the season he has just had cannot be used as an argument for that. I can't say Jiri Hudler is currently the Wings top forward because I predict he will get 100 points next season. And even if it does happen, I'd still be wrong. So get off your high horse. Nobody likes a self-promoting wanker.

This argument was over 8 months ago. You made your arguments and people disagreed with you, just let it go. Hank winning TSN's player of the year doesn't make you any more correct.