• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Joe_Louis

Wings Draft Success

Rate this topic

Hi all.. new to the site. Great work by all.. this is truly a classy and informative mecca for all things hockey.

Noticed this post today.. well known by most, but worth reflecting on. Even when required to search deep for gems, the Wings front office enjoyed a run in the 80's and 90's that is tuly remarkable.

The Legacy of Jimmy D

First off welcome to the boards.

Now this quote I found in that post almost had me spitting coke out of my nose and on to the keyboard not only is it funny, but it is a true as they come.

# Anders Eriksson - One of a handful of first rounders picked during this era. Trading Eriksson in his prime for today’s 45 year old Chris Chelios would still be highway robbery.

First off welcome to the boards.

Now this quote I found in that post almost had me spitting coke out of my nose and on to the keyboard not only is it funny, but it is a true as they come.

Ha.. thanks for the welcome. It must hurt pretty bad in Chicago seeing Cheli playing so well into his late 40's.

Guest Yzer19

Looking back at the 1993 draft we could've drafted Bertuzzi instead of Eriksson. He was drafted right after Eriksson.

Looking back at the 1993 draft we could've drafted Bertuzzi instead of Eriksson. He was drafted right after Eriksson.

I would argue that things worked out for the better the way they did.. ie. Eriksson-->Chelios looks like a better long term move than drafting Bertuzzi.. in retrospect of course.

Guest Yzer19

I would argue that things worked out for the better the way they did.. ie. Eriksson-->Chelios looks like a better long term move than drafting Bertuzzi.. in retrospect of course.

I disagree with that. The Bertuzzi before the Moore incident would've been the big power forward that the Wings haven't had in years.

Edited by Yzer19

To me

Erickson (to get Chelios) > Bertuzzi

Notice not Erickson > Bert

Obviously on draft day they have no idea how that would work out, just saying in hindsight.

Sorry that sounds like I was arguing with you, I am not, I am just thinking through my keyboard.

Edited by Opie

Guest Yzer19

To me

Erickson (to get Chelios) > Bertuzzi

Notice not Erickson > Bert

Obviously on draft day they have no idea how that would work out, just saying in hindsight.

Sorry that sounds like I was arguing with you, I am not, I am just thinking through my keyboard.

IMO Todd Bertuzzi (pre Moore incident) > old Chelios.

Edited by Yzer19

Correct me if I am wrong, because I may be, but I didn't think any of Stevie's injuries were really caused by others. Wasn't crashing the net and then once he caught an edge.

So therefore I am not sure your point applies, in this situation. The only time I remember some one trying to really hurt him was Pronger and he got the worse end of that deal.

Again I could be wrong but I thought Stevie's injuries were accidental as opposed to say Samuelson taking out Cam.

IMO Todd Bertuzzi preventing teams from injuring Yzerman > Chelios.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I may be, but I didn't think any of Stevie's injuries were really caused by others. Wasn't crashing the net and then once he caught an edge.

So therefore I am not sure your point applies, in this situation. The only time I remember some one trying to really hurt him was Pronger and he got the worse end of that deal.

Again I could be wrong but I thought Stevie's injuries were accidental as opposed to say Samuelson taking out Cam.

Don't get Yzer19 started about Steve and his injuries.

Guest Yzer19

Don't get Yzer19 started about Steve and his injuries.

Alright, fine I'll leave it alone.

Edited by Yzer19

Alright, I'll skip it and we can leave it as Chelios > healthy Yzerman.

Or you can just stop involving Yzerman in every post you leave. The point of the matter is that the Wings drafted Eriksson and then traded him for Chelios. That's a fact, the Wings drafting Bert pure what if. How many fights did Yzerman take part in? Also Yzerman had Probie watching his back and if it came down to who Steve would rather roll with you can take Probie as a sure thing.

Guest Yzer19

QFT.. this is the point I was trying to make.

I'd guess I'd just take the better player in the draft. The same thing with the Primeau pick. Even though we ended up trading Primeau for Shanny, I'd still want the Wings to draft Jagr instead of Primeau.

Edited by Yzer19

I'd guess I'd just take the better player in the draft. The same thing with the Primeau pick. Even though we ended up trading Primeau for Shanny, I'd still want the Wings to draft Jagr instead of Primeau.

Of Course one was a great hockey player for the Wings and the other is an all world talent.

Of Course, that is like saying You still take Jordan instead of Sam Bowie!!

Not that bad I was exaggerating but the point is Shanny is not Jagr.

Guest Yzer19

Of Course one was a great hockey player for the Wings and the other is an all world talent.

Of Course, that is like saying You still take Jordan instead of Sam Bowie!!

Not that bad I was exaggerating but the point is Shanny is not Jagr.

Well regardless, I'd still take the best possible player available in the draft.

Edited by Yzer19

I disagree with that. The Bertuzzi before the Moore incident would've been the big power forward that the Wings haven't had in years.

The Wings in 1993 had several gritty physical forwards. Probert, Primeau, Burr were on the team, and McCarty would join the following season. Shanahan (the most dominant power forward in the game) would join the team a year after Bertuzzi entered the league. Also, Bertuzzi was a 40-50 point scorer until he played big minutes with Naslund. The only seasons Bertuzzi has scored at .75 PPG or better are years he played with Naslund.

Guest Yzer19

The Wings in 1993 had several gritty physical forwards. Probert, Primeau, Burr were on the team, and McCarty would join the following season. Shanahan (the most dominant power forward in the game) would join the team a year after Bertuzzi entered the league. Also, Bertuzzi was a 40-50 point scorer until he played big minutes with Naslund. The only seasons Bertuzzi has scored at .75 PPG or better are years he played with Naslund.

Probert, Primeau, and Burr weren't on the team for much longer after that. Don't you think Bertuzzi would've put up similar numbers if not better playing on a line with Fedorov?

Edited by Yzer19

Probert, Primeau, and Burr weren't on the team for much longer after that.

They all were around at least one more season. Primeau was traded for Shanahan at the beginning of Bertuzzi's second season in the league. McCarty joined the team in 93-94. That's still two power forwards who were on the team and doing well when Bertuzzi came into the league. Bertuzzi also would likely have been playing on the third line, so he wouldn't have been scoring anywhere near a point per game. As I stated before he only ever exceeded .75 PPG when on the first line with Naslund and Morrison.