• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sticknmove

SIGN HIM!

Rate this topic

"Patrik Magnusson, D, 18, 6-7, 244, 41-7-12-19-91, HV-71 (SWE J-20). The 6-foot-7 hulk is physically strong but not quick on his feet. He is headed to Prince George of the WHL after being selected in June's CHL import draft. "

From rrc list of tryout invites, and norrisnick allready was talking about him in the prospect thread but i figured to drop his info here to... WE need to sign this kid, enroll him in boogies fight school, and presto, an enforcer. All joking aside this kid looks like an absolute beast, and some feedback on him has been positive.

Edited by sticknmove

At age 18, he's not a free agent, he'd have to be drafted before the Wings (or any other team) could sign him. At this point, he helps fill out the Prospect Camp roster and the Wings' brass gets a chance to see him up close.

MLIVE

"he Detroit Red Wings invited 6'8" defenceman Patrik Magnusson to their prospect camp in Traverse City after watching him play in the Swedish junior league. The big defenceman's just about to make his North American debut for the Western Hockey Leauge's Prince George Cougars, and he's chomping at the bit to crash and bang"

this guy could literally eat hudler and flip, he's a monster. I am going to try to find any video, and the not to swift at the feet part doent mean much, I do not know many guys this big that are balerinas, and its definitly WAYYYYYYYY to early to even begin comparing him to hatcher, i mean being as though none of us have seen him play hockey

"Prince George head coach Drew Schoneck says that Magnusson compares favourably to Vladimir Mihalik, who was drafted 30th overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2005:

"The first thing he said when he got in here was, 'hey, small ice' -- he likes to play a bit more of a physical game, I think, and he likes to step up and pinch a little bit. We might have to curtail that a bit because he doesn't have what you'd call get-back-quick speed, but he's shown good vision on the ice. He's played on the big ice so he understands the importance of angles. He'll get more comfortable as things go along, but I like his shot, it's hard and heavy, and he makes some little simple plays to his defence partner that Vladdy didn't always make.

The WHL's a scrappy league, and Magnusson says that he's rady for any taunts that come his way, both on and off the ice:

"I'm prepared for the worst," said Magnusson. "Fights every game, whatever it is, I've been getting tips from friends and from the players here, and I'll be able to handle myself. That part will be a big challenge."

Edited by sticknmove

At age 18, he's not a free agent, he'd have to be drafted before the Wings (or any other team) could sign him. At this point, he helps fill out the Prospect Camp roster and the Wings' brass gets a chance to see him up close.

He'll be 19 in December and has already went through 1 draft and was undrafted.

the not quick on his feet part scares me.

We all remember Derian Hatcher dont we?

That's why you let him play Junior and hope his footspeed increases.

Kenny Holland doesn't like guys over 6'3. They tend to be too physical out there on the ice. And most importantly, they lack "team toughness"

If what Mule says is correct, not a single team in the NHL thought he was worth drafting. At all. None. Just because you're big and you know how to put on skates doesn't mean you should be in the NHL. Maybe he'll pick something up in Juniors. The invite will at least show him what he must do if he hopes to make it.

Edited by A.T.Hun

"He spent most of his time with HV71, a team in the Swedish Superelit League. He had seven goals, 12 assists, 91 penalty minutes and was plus +30 in 41 regular season games, then added a goal and an assist in four playoff games."

Not to shabby in a pretty decent league. Some non drafted noteables include:

Avery, Sean

Belfour, Ed

Bergeron, Marc-Andre

Ciccarelli, Dino

Joseph, Curtis

Kunitz, Chris

Lebda, Brett

Oates, Adam

Penner, Dustin

Rafalski, Brian

St. Louis, Martin

Stastny, Peter

So I mean the whole "draft" can be significant, there are plenty of talented NHL'ers who were not drafted. However what is true is that Holland tends to look the other direction when it comes to really big boys, lets hope that his last name and the fact he is from Europe is enough to get him a fair shake. Haha

Edited by sticknmove

He'll be 19 in December and has already went through 1 draft and was undrafted.

Then he'll be draft-eligible in 2008 at least, and maybe more because he's European. I know the North American guys are free agents if they're not drafted by age 20... Europeans used to always have to be drafted, even if they were in their 30s, not sure how that works under the new CBA though.

Um...He might be a choice for the draft but otherwise I'd give him a couple of years of development before rabidly shouting "SIGN HIM !!!!11!!1!11". He's one of those guys though that would definitely benefit from NA training and coaching from the beginning because of his size.

Guest snowman89

NONONO, they invited him to training camp b/c his last name=swedish DUHHH

LOL :siren:

yeah thats why they invited him to training camp :rolleyes:

There's a contrasting difference between an invite and actually signing the player. You know that. ;)

I don't know enough about the guy to actually say one way or another, but a defenseman his size would actually *gasp* give the Wings an intimidating defenseman. Our most feared defenseman (physicality wise) right now is probably Lilja, which is extremely lame.

Unless he's that bad a skater, I'm in favor of giving him a shot sometime down the road. It doesn't hurt to take a chance.

Guest Crymson

Kenny Holland doesn't like guys over 6'3. They tend to be too physical out there on the ice. And most importantly, they lack "team toughness"

Yes, Ken Holland is a terrible GM who has absolutely failed to build any championship teams or contenders in the nine years he's had the job.

No, in reality you and many others take his brilliance and service to the team for granted when you constantly complain and insult about issues such as this.

Yes, Ken Holland is a terrible GM who has absolutely failed to build any championship teams or contenders in the nine years he's had the job.

No, in reality you and many others take his brilliance and service to the team for granted when you constantly complain and insult about issues such as this.

Right now it's what have you done for me lately with Holland? Our team gets smaller and softer every year, and up until last year, it has affected us greatly in the playoffs in recent memory. Once again, we're a smaller team on paper than we were a year before.

Would you rather have team that perennially is in competition for the Presidents trophy or have a team like Philly. That makes big splashes all the time and has a hard time being a playoff contender every year.

Now before you say, "The president's trophy means nothing if you don't get the cup".

Think about my analogy for a second. This team is competitive year in and year out, and Holland is responsible for putting those players together. He can not make them shoot around Giguere instead of at his chest protector. There are fans from many, many other teams that would love to have the problems that we as wings fans have.

We are trying to get our team 6 more wins to the cup, while others are hoping their team isn't in last place.

Right now I would say in the league Pit has the best GM, not only does he get Crosby (well the teams lack of success did) he has built pieces around him. Go to Was and ask Ovechkin if he likes who his GM has put around him.

I am willing to bet that once he becomes UFA he is out of Was unless he is in this for money.

Back to the point, Ken Holland is one of the top 3 GM's in the league. Would you have preferred he over pay Hartnelll and not get Rafalski.

This team will finish top 3 in the conference (barring major injury) and a lot of that is Ken grabbing guys like Cleary, Samuelson and others. Plus he has a great scouting staff, you may not like the type of team he is icing but he is doing a great job at getting a great team together. Remember last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

NO way is PIT's GM the best in the league, the only reason they have all these good players is because they have sucked for so long. Good GM's find there stars in later rounds. PIT has been choosing the most obvious first pick players in the last few years. I didn't realize losing so often just to eventually have decent players makes you a great GM.

Mark Recchi was an very important signing for them and in this offseason they have added Petr Sykora and Darryl Sydor. They may not seem like huge acquisitions, but he has added veteran leadership to a very young team and has given them even more scoring from a veteran guy in Sykora.

I would love it if Sykora was on the second line of the wings!

Edit: sorry I think they traded for Recchi not signed him, either way that is a vital cog to the Penguin wheel.

Edited by Opie