• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

2007 US Open

Rate this topic

The last Slam of the year got underway yesterday. Ana Ivanovic cruised through to the 2nd round by dropping only 2 games. She’s now No.5 in the world and is a big chance to win the title. :thumbup:

Lleyton Hewitt has a new coach and is in some fine form. He'll likely face Djokovic in the 4th round.

Aaah, Aussie.........I knew either you or I were going to be the ones that started this thread. Both of our boys play today, Hewitt in one hour from now, while Roddick plays tonight at 6:00 CT. Here's hoping Andy can repeat his success from last years Open, but get that final win.

Sidenote: Because Roddick got the 5 seed, he'll meet up with Federer in the Quarters (given that they both make it there).

Guest DetroitIan

I wonder how fast Roddick will choke this time?

Hewitt is playing great tennis. I expect him to make it to the finals this year.

Funny thing is, once again, Im actually gonna root on Andy throughout the tourny. But Im sure he will just blow it again. Especially if he faces Federer(which is a high likelyhood of happening). Roger will once again wipe the floor with Roddick. Im sure it wont even be close.

Edited by DetroitIan

I wonder how fast Roddick will choke this time?

Hewitt is playing great tennis. I expect him to make it to the finals this year.

Funny thing is, once again, Im actually gonna root on Andy throughout the tourny. But Im sure he will just blow it again. Especially if he faces Federer(which is a high likelyhood of happening). Roger will once again wipe the floor with Roddick. Im sure it wont even be close.

Seriously, DI? I already know your stance when it comes to Roddick. You and I went 10 rounds back in the Wimbledon thread. Let it go.

Sidenote: Hewitt is not going to make the finals. He has to go through Djokovic for that to happen, and with the way he's playing currently, I don't see that happening.

Guest DetroitIan

Sidenote: Hewitt is not going to make the finals. He has to go through Djokovic for that to happen, and with the way he's playing currently, I don't see that happening.

Djokovic is a beast, no doubt about it. And he may actually knock Hewitt out. But, sometimes Leyton Hewitt is one of those players that shines against good competition. But yeah to be real about it, this match could go either way.

If Roddick finally beats Federer, I will eat my words. Hell, if Roddick can even make it a close match, I will eat my words. But no matter how much work Andy puts in, and no matter how much he trains with Connors(or any other coach for that matter) I still dont see him ever giving Roger a run for his money. Trust me I really hope it happens finally, but I just dont think it's in the cards for A-Rodd.

Bah, I was not very impressed with James Blake yesterday. He was really cruising coming into this but for some reason, he just never seems to shine during the Slams. Here's hoping!

I caught the first part of the Roddick match yesterday, and I do expect him to do well here.

I just have NOT been able to get into women's tennis in the past year or so for whatever reason. Maybe it's that I just don't have a clear favorite, or person I realy like in this newer generation. I feel very indifferent towards all of the women's players. Maybe I'll catch a match that will endear one of the ladies to me more.

Bah, I was not very impressed with James Blake yesterday. He was really cruising coming into this but for some reason, he just never seems to shine during the Slams. Here's hoping!

I caught the first part of the Roddick match yesterday, and I do expect him to do well here.

I just have NOT been able to get into women's tennis in the past year or so for whatever reason. Maybe it's that I just don't have a clear favorite, or person I realy like in this newer generation. I feel very indifferent towards all of the women's players. Maybe I'll catch a match that will endear one of the ladies to me more.

The woman I used to really like was Davenport. She was always the definition of class.

The woman I used to really like was Davenport. She was always the definition of class.

Ha! That's funny because when I was typing that post I almost mentioned Davenport as one that I used to cheer for. :)

Guest DetroitIan

Blake currently in a huge struggle...

Blake barely escaped that match. The way he was playing, I don't expect to see him move on much farther.

A bit late to the tennis thread but I'm here. :lol:

On the men's side I'm really impressed with Djokovic and except him to win a hard-fought semi-final against Nadal. That said I don't think anyone can defeat Darth Federer (as quoted on the USA Network) when the chips are down.

On the women's side the 'real' final may well be tomorrow night between Henin and Serena, although Venus and Kuznetsova are also in the mix.

Did anyone see last nights match of Federer vs. Lopez? Christ.... Of all the great athletes out there who are the "best" in their respective sports(Woods, Crosby etc.), I don't think anyone even comes close to touching this guy.

It was as if in the second set he just decided he was done losing and just "turned it on"... Lopez never stood a chance from then on.

Did anyone see last nights match of Federer vs. Lopez? Christ.... Of all the great athletes out there who are the "best" in their respective sports(Woods, Crosby etc.), I don't think anyone even comes close to touching this guy.

It was as if in the second set he just decided he was done losing and just "turned it on"... Lopez never stood a chance from then on.

Darth Federer is beyond a god of his sport. If he didn't suck on clay (meaning only the best clay player in the world can still beat him on this surface), he would've have won the past 11 straight GS titles.

He is beyond the best athelete in his respected sport, bar none. Not Woods, Crosby, LT or Lebron can touch the dominance this guy displays. The best part is, he's beyond humble. He's a great champion and a wonderful endorsement for the sport of tennis.

Sidenote: Let's Go Roddick!

Darth Federer is beyond a god of his sport. If he didn't suck on clay (meaning only the best clay player in the world can still beat him on this surface), he would've have won the past 11 straight GS titles.

He is beyond the best athelete in his respected sport, bar none. Not Woods, Crosby, LT or Lebron can touch the dominance this guy displays. The best part is, he's beyond humble. He's a great champion and a wonderful endorsement for the sport of tennis.

Sidenote: Let's Go Roddick!

Can't stand him. Arrogance has been creeping into his press conferences for a while now. And his little tantrum during the Wimbledon final when HawkEye went against him and was “killing him†was just too much for me.

Pity Berdych was unwell because IMO he would have beaten Roddick and he matches up well against Federer. But anyhow, cmon Roddick, take care of business.

Can't stand him. Arrogance has been creeping into his press conferences for a while now. And his little tantrum during the Wimbledon final when HawkEye went against him and was “killing himâ€Â was just too much for me.

Pity Berdych was unwell because IMO he would have beaten Roddick and he matches up well against Federer. But anyhow, cmon Roddick, take care of business.

I don't see him that way. He gets frustrated like any other player out there, but he's always humble about his wins and the opponent he just wiped the floor with. When they asked him how he continues to beat Roddick, his response was, "Every time I play Andy, he's gets better and better. If I don't work harder day-in and day-out, I wouldn't have such luck against him."

Those are the comments I'm referring too.

Sidenote: Don't you think he's probably getting a little bored being the number 1, and having no one challange him (aside from the Clay Courts). I can see someone like him getting restless. I'm not defending his actions, rather I'm just trying to see it from his POV.

Can't stand him. Arrogance has been creeping into his press conferences for a while now. And his little tantrum during the Wimbledon final when HawkEye went against him and was “killing himâ€Â was just too much for me.

Berdych healthy was no guarantee to beat Roddick. It would've been a great match, but Roddick's serve IMO would've been the difference maker late in that match.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

women's as been pretty exciting imo. Venus - Jankovic match was outstanding. Only men's I've watched have been great: Blake vs Haas and Nadal vs Ferrer.

However, I'm just so tired of Roger Federer I can hardly gear myself up to watch the men's side. Sure he's the "greatest champion ever" but it is just so boring to watch him beat everyone up. He's actually fallable this US Open and I still doubt anyone will beat him.

ARod just lost the first set tie-break. He probably even outplayed Federer in that set - but this is always the way it goes. Nadal is out. MAYBE Haas or Ferrer have a shot?? I'm just sick and tired of this. It would be so refreshing to have a new champion (of Aussie, Wimbledon, or the USOpen) that it means so much more to than "just another trophy in my stack of slams".

It would be so refreshing to have a new champion (of Aussie, Wimbledon, or the USOpen) that it means so much more to than "just another trophy in my stack of slams".

But Federer is the only player who can challenge..... Tiger Woods. :rolleyes:

Consider:

However, I'm just so tired of Roger Federer I can hardly gear myself up to watch the men's side. Sure he's the "greatest champion ever" but it is just so boring to watch him beat everyone up. He's actually fallable this US Open and I still doubt anyone will beat him.

ARod just lost the first set tie-break. He probably even outplayed Federer in that set - but this is always the way it goes. Nadal is out. MAYBE Haas or Ferrer have a shot?? I'm just sick and tired of this. It would be so refreshing to have a new champion (of Aussie, Wimbledon, or the USOpen) that it means so much more to than "just another trophy in my stack of slams".

Agreed. I was going for Haas because he seems to trouble him but he was knocked out last night. Davydenko has caused Federer some trouble in the past but he doesn't have the weapons to beat him. I'm hoping Djokovic can make it through to the final because he beat him at Montreal only a month ago.