• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Herr Hockey

The Trap.....ezoid

Rate this topic

Can anyone give me the reasoning behind putting the trapezoid on the ice? I personally hate the thing, it just seems like someone got tired of looking at the same old ice and felt like drawing some new lines on there. I can't stand it when we get scored on after the "delay of game" penalty because of that damn trap. The only thing it was good for this past season was getting to see Dom break his stick while staring down Mick McGeough. :D

two words Martin Brodeur. It's designed to keep puck handling goalies like Brodeur and Turco from negating a dumb in by playing it along the boards. In fact when it was discussed back before the lockout ended it was called "the Martin Brodeur rule"

I don't really think it has made a whole lot of difference.. it forced the goalies to read the play better which the good ones do anyway. Now they just stop the puck in front of the goal line before it goes in the corner. It did force the big slow d-men to get back quicker knowing that their goalie can't bail them out everytime!!

two words Martin Brodeur. It's designed to keep puck handling goalies like Brodeur and Turco from negating a dumb in by playing it along the boards. In fact when it was discussed back before the lockout ended it was called "the Martin Brodeur rule"

On a hard wraparound the goalie isn't going to have time to get the corner, they have to get it behind the net (a shorter distance), so the rule doesn't really prevent them from disrupting a dump in.

On a hard wraparound the goalie isn't going to have time to get the corner, they have to get it behind the net (a shorter distance), so the rule doesn't really prevent them from disrupting a dump in.

As a goalie myself you can say whatever you want. I'm not trying to be mean but it's the truth. The rule is ment to prevent a goalie from getting the puck and playing it around the area where the trapazoid is not. A key time Brodeur would do this was during a PP, the other team would dump the puck in, Brodeur would go retrive it, fire it out to his D man,..puck cleared.

If you don't believe me, this comes straight from wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Brodeur

"During the time in between the lockout and the time the NHL returned, the league instituted a new rule preventing goaltenders from playing the puck behind the net beyond a trapezoid-shaped zone.[29] This was viewed by many as singling out Brodeur, who is known for his puckhandling ability, and has come to be known as the "Brodeur Rule".[30][31]"

As a goalie myself you can say whatever you want. I'm not trying to be mean but it's the truth. The rule is ment to prevent a goalie from getting the puck and playing it around the area where the trapazoid is not. A key time Brodeur would do this was during a PP, the other team would dump the puck in, Brodeur would go retrive it, fire it out to his D man,..puck cleared.

If you don't believe me, this comes straight from wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Brodeur

"During the time in between the lockout and the time the NHL returned, the league instituted a new rule preventing goaltenders from playing the puck behind the net beyond a trapezoid-shaped zone.[29] This was viewed by many as singling out Brodeur, who is known for his puckhandling ability, and has come to be known as the "Brodeur Rule".[30][31]"

Before the trapezoid, when goalies had free reign of the ice behind the goal line, where were the majority of dump-ins intercepted by goaltenders? Not in the corners, but behind the net. As a goalie yourself, you are no doubt aware that on a hard wraparound it's difficult, if not impossible, to get to the puck in the corner, but to take a shorter path to the area behind the net. If the intent is to inhibit goaltenders from stopping dump-ins, the current trapezoid is where goalies shouldn't be able to play the puck.

Before the trapezoid, when goalies had free reign of the ice behind the goal line, where were the majority of dump-ins intercepted by goaltenders? Not in the corners, but behind the net. As a goalie yourself, you are no doubt aware that on a hard wraparound it's difficult, if not impossible, to get to the puck in the corner, but to take a shorter path to the area behind the net. If the intent is to inhibit goaltenders from stopping dump-ins, the current trapezoid is where goalies shouldn't be able to play the puck.

I think you're misunderstanding me, but honestly i don't have the patients to explain it to you, i provided a link as to why the rule was instituted it should be common sense, There's a trapazoid there to prevent goalies from playing the puck outside that area. It was a crackdown on puck moving Goaltenders negating a dump in. The only way to negate a trap D is to dump the puck in. Doesn't work if the goalie gets it and fires it to his D. if you don't believe me maybe a mod will come in here and explain it to you. I'm not saying the goalie gets it in the corner with players comming at him but you fail to see that it's pretty much impoosible to pass the puck as a goalie to your D men from behind your net. Brodeur and goaltenders like him changed the game by having Forward like puck handling abilites. They put this rule in to disrupt there ability to control the flow of game and possesion of the other team in there zone by using a dump and chase system.

Edited by theman19

Lets look at it like this when a goalie wonders out of the net to the corners to play the puck the forwards skating in can not check him off of the puckcan not push, can not bump, just plan can not lay a finger on him. So in saying this with the rules the way they were writen and I believed they still are you can not touch the goalie, so in fact it was not fair to let him roam out to slow the play down if the oncoming forwards are not allowed to nock him off the puck. My opinion is to do away with trapizoid and if the goalie goes out roaming he becomes fair game, meaning the forward should be able to check him off the puck but not to interfear with him getting back to the net

I would make the following change to the Trapezoid rule:

The goalie can play the puck where ever he wants, however the only place he is safe from oncoming forwards is in the Trapezoid.

This way if the goalie wants to roam around and play the puck he is fair game. They have helmets and pads too, if you don't want to get hit stay in the net or in the Trapezoid.

That simple!

Lets look at it like this when a goalie wonders out of the net to the corners to play the puck the forwards skating in can not check him off of the puckcan not push, can not bump, just plan can not lay a finger on him. So in saying this with the rules the way they were writen and I believed they still are you can not touch the goalie, so in fact it was not fair to let him roam out to slow the play down if the oncoming forwards are not allowed to nock him off the puck. My opinion is to do away with trapizoid and if the goalie goes out roaming he becomes fair game, meaning the forward should be able to check him off the puck but not to interfear with him getting back to the net

I've been saying this for years! If the goalie leaves the crease he should be fair game. That would make them think twice about it. they'ed get dumped and scored on; or injured; then their coaches would really come down on them for doing it unless they were undoubtedly in the clear.

This is the best idea! It would be fun to watch too.

I've been saying this for years! If the goalie leaves the crease he should be fair game. That would make them think twice about it. they'ed get dumped and scored on; or injured; then their coaches would really come down on them for doing it unless they were undoubtedly in the clear.

This is the best idea! It would be fun to watch too.

yeah but unfortunatly in today's NHL where protecting the goalie goes to the extreme. (have you seen giggy's pads?) it'll never happen.