• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan40

NHL.com - Top players with a twist

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...ge&id=17405

Best one-on-one offensive player -- Pavel Datsyuk. Any defenseman or goaltender must go into panic mode seeing Datsyuk bearing down on them. The anticipation of his next move is sure to confuse defenders, you just don't know what he will do next.

The guy you never heard of -- Can you say Igor Grigorenko? Sure I am a Wings fan, but that doesn't matter. Igor will get every opportunity to prove himself during training camp. If he scores like he can, look for him on a line with Datsyuk.

Im really very excited to see Igor on the ice this season!

I'm going to wait and see before throwing out judgment on the guy. It does seem a little far fetched to expect miracles, I mean he hasn't exactly been crazy in Russia. But sometimes players do come to the NHL and suddenly everything fits. We shall see...

As mentioned by numerous others on this board, I believe it was two years ago or the year before (can't remember) but there were a lot of comparrisons to him and Malkin.

That would be unbelievable if he was that good, but I can't remember if that praise was before or after the accident which obviously makes a difference.

It was before the accident. Don't get too excited about a player who has never played in North America and from reports isn't the same player he was before a life threatening injury.

Thanks for the info, that sucks though.

I was never saying he would be Malkin, I was just saying I had heard the comparison and couldn't remember if it was pre or post accident.

Either way I am just happy he can play again.

I recall them being direct comparisons to Malkin (I was literally salivating) -- and for a period anyways, his numbers were better than Malkin and up there with Ovechkin.

I am still very excited though. I picture him as a more talented, faster Cleary... and Cleary is no deflated wheel.

Does everyone remember Kozlov when he came to the Wings. He was involved in a car accident also and proir to that he was reported as doing the things on the ice at the age of 16 that Gretszky was doing in the NHL at that time frame . I have to believe that we never saw the what could have been even though Kozzie went on to have a solid NHL career. So remember Grigs may not be what he once was becuase of the wreck but from what I have heard prior to the wreck is his D was weak but during his rehab he had to play D for awhile and that caused him to round out his game so my opinion if this is true bring him on Kenny and lets not talk about Feds no more because this kid could be what this team needs in alot of ways

Malkin is a lot bigger than Grigorenko, so I have a hard time envisioning the comparisons between the two, unless Grigorenko plays some sort of ultra-physical style for his size. Some might take this as a pessimistic comment, but if Grigorenko scores 20 goals this year, I'd be pleasantly surprised, especially since he's never played at this kind of level before.

Does everyone remember Kozlov when he came to the Wings. He was involved in a car accident also and proir to that he was reported as doing the things on the ice at the age of 16 that Gretszky was doing in the NHL at that time frame . I have to believe that we never saw the what could have been even though Kozzie went on to have a solid NHL career. So remember Grigs may not be what he once was becuase of the wreck but from what I have heard prior to the wreck is his D was weak but during his rehab he had to play D for awhile and that caused him to round out his game so my opinion if this is true bring him on Kenny and lets not talk about Feds no more because this kid could be what this team needs in alot of ways

If Grigorenko is the second coming of Slava Kozlov, I'd be positively thrilled. He would indeed be just what this team needs; I think the Wings' biggest weakness right now is a lack of dependable second-tier scoring. If Grigorenko can fill that role, the Wings will be hard to stop. I really, really want to see him make the team right out of camp and skip Grand Rapids.

I know I will get castrated by a lot of people on here for saying this but here it goes anyways.

With what Hudler showed for a shot last year, I would like to see Hudler-Datsyuk-Grigs

I really, really want to see him make the team right out of camp and skip Grand Rapids.

That'll happen anyways, because if he is assigned to Grand Rapids I can guarantee you he will take effect to his "out-clause" and immediately go back to Russia. It happened last year with two players: Alexei Kaigorodov (Ottawa) and Envir Lisen (Phoenix).

Grigorenko should get Kopecky's spot, if anyone. Hopefully he works out for the best: we badly need a top 6 forward.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest DetroitIan

Im also really pumped to finally see what Grigs can do. Especially after all he went through with the accident. This kid has tons of confidence. I remember in an interview several months after he awoke from the coma, he was asked if he ever thought he would be the same player again. Igor then says, "no I don't think I'll be the same player again...I'll be much better." Now THATS the kinda winning attitude that I like to see in the winged wheel. I can't wait.

Malkin is a lot bigger than Grigorenko, so I have a hard time envisioning the comparisons between the two, unless Grigorenko plays some sort of ultra-physical style for his size. Some might take this as a pessimistic comment, but if Grigorenko scores 20 goals this year, I'd be pleasantly surprised, especially since he's never played at this kind of level before.

I've heard "tank" and "wrecking ball" as terms to describe him. Isn't he like 220 lbs? That's more mass than a lot of 6'4 guys. Cleary is starting to get that "brick sh!thouse" body, and we all saw what he can do to even a guy like Phaneuff.

Does anyone ever stop and think... "Man two years ago, I wouldn't picture me considering Crosby UNANIMOUSLY the best player in the NHL."

I just think it's crazy that the media was so dead on.