• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan75

Goal Judges

Rate this topic

That's interesting. Kinda makes sense to get rid of them with all the technology in place to review goals now.

Anyway, a team wouldn't be able to market those seats to me. I don't like being on the ice. The view is too limited, yeah it can be cool, literally and figuratively, but IMO the best seats were just above the glass and in the corners opposite the benches. Now that those are obstructed by safety nets, the best seats are center ice above the glass opposite the benches.

I love the seats on the glass right behind the goalie. That's where I always stand when I watch high school/kids games. Those seats give you the same view the players have. It feels like you're actually in the game and the collisions are great. if you bring up the arguement that you can't see the action at the other end then you need glasses. The other net is only 200' away.

As for the goal judge, I've never seen much use for them. They don't even have them at most levels. The refs make all the goal decisions and I think they do a pretty good job. Since the league reviews every goal anyways, the goal judge is really just a waste of space.

I don't necessarily agree with moving them only because they can be a factor somewhat just by turning on the lights. I also don't think we have the proper technology in place yet to determine goals without someone behind the net. I guess if the GJ's are going to watch an overhead angle of the net for the entire game maybe they could do this. I wonder if the goal judge position will just disappear if this trend takes hold. It's not a problem in my book if the proper technology is set in place.

Since the avs are looking for a place to re-seat the goal judges I have a perfect idea.

Strap them to a harness Mission Impossible style and let them float above the goal. They can a type of hydrolic pulley system that can lower them down closer to the net to investigate a goal and farther away when the play is in the other end...

Perfect!

I always hate to be one to propose some new sort of technology when I cannot call myself an expert, but I have to ask, why has some form of laser technology not been implemented to give instantaneous determination of whether or not a goal was scored? Why am I under the inclination that the answer to that question somehow involves a special type of green paper with a President's face on it?

B/C some whiny ****** (Burke for example) will flip out if the puck is laying ever so gently just about 1mm on the line and the rest of the puck in the net.... A goal will be waved off because the puck did not cross the line... Yet he Burke will exclaim that it would have crossed the line had it not been for the Laser Beam shield on the front of the goal crease preventing the puck from entering the net.

That is in fact if that Laser beam shield in the front of the goal is what you were refering to?

Also, the pucks would have to be encoded with a some type of technology similar to the horrific glowing puck which while viewing on TV seemingly drilled several fans in the face as it hit the back boards :lol:

Technology is there, its always there but as you said... $$'s drives the industry and that is something Mr. B is not willing to part with.

I don't have a problem with it... Especially since the goal judge's decision is merely an opinion as to whether the puck went in. The on-ice officials are free to ignore the red light, and of course NHL HQ has the ultimate say with questionable goals. To me, the primary job of a goal judge is to let the folks in the top section of the other end of the arena know when to cheer for the home team!

Edited by Gizmo

WHAT? :angry:

One of the greatest moments in all of sport is the flashing red light.

How many players have "lit the lamp" or "lit it up", references to that sacred light signifying a goal.

I fully understand the move from a technical perspective (video reviews, camera angles, etc) , but I

am a traditionalist, and really hope the lamp lighting stays. Think of that guy at the games who wears his own red lamp on his head. What will he do? What can we teach to the kids; streak down the wing and "make the video replay goal judge sure he sees the twine bulge"? It seems so much better to just tell 'em to rip it top shelf and "light the lamp".

I'll be bummed if they do away with the goal light.

my idle ramblings...

I don't think the goal light will go away just the box where the goal judge sits, well that and also the goal judge.... In fact at the Joe they got rid of the Goal Judge plexiglass house all together last season. he was basically sitting in the crowd front row on a small red 4 legged stool.

The goal light will most likely remain either right ontop of the glass behind the net or just behind the glass lower than the top of the glass.

now for instance at Compuware they have a freaking goal judge suite at the west end of the arena... it is horrifically huge back there, line of site behind the net on that side is very bad.

Edited by OsGOD

Yeah, I've thought this for some time now. I dont know how great the view would be from seats like that. But the position isn't really neccessary anymore. I imagine someone somewhere else can turn the red light on. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I dont know how great the view would be from seats like that.

The answer is "Freakin' Awesome". Here's a couple photos from Row 3 from last year's March 6th game against the Pred:

IPB Image

Here's the view from when Tomas Vokoun sat on a puck that was more than likely over the goal line and then butt-scootched forward with it before getting up:

IPB Image

I don't necessarily agree with moving them only because they can be a factor somewhat just by turning on the lights. I also don't think we have the proper technology in place yet to determine goals without someone behind the net. I guess if the GJ's are going to watch an overhead angle of the net for the entire game maybe they could do this. I wonder if the goal judge position will just disappear if this trend takes hold. It's not a problem in my book if the proper technology is set in place.

The goal judge at the end of the rink makes no determination on whether a goal was scored legally. All he is there to do is turn the light on if the puck enters the net, regardless of how it got there.

The best way to replace the goal judge would be to have six sensors placed in a puck. Have them half an inch from the top and bottom, and about half an inch in from the edge. Half an inch behind the goal line would be a device to detect whether the puck had crossed the goal line. If all six sensors pass this device, the red light goes on.

Edited by eva unit zero