• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cicada

Dallas Stars billboards

Rate this topic

Is there anybody who doesn't like them? I like most of them. I don't like the ones that perpetrate the fighting stereotype, especially when the NHL is trying to distance itself from Todd Bertuzzi, Marty McSorley, and Chris Simon like incidents.

Guest jaytan

Is there anybody who doesn't like them? I like most of them. I don't like the ones that perpetrate the fighting stereotype, especially when the NHL is trying to distance itself from Todd Bertuzzi, Marty McSorley, and Chris Simon like incidents.

Ummm... Todd and Marty's incidents didn't involve fighting. What's the Chris Simon incident/

The NHL should be playing up the fighting aspect of the game. It's always been part of the game, and the fans like it.

Link to Simon incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Simon#2..._and_suspension

Look I don't want to get into this whole should fighting be allowed in hockey debate, and that's precisely why I don't think those billboards should mention it. It's something non-hockey fans always throw in our faces. Hell Rodney Dangerfield used the boxing one as punchline to watching a hockey game.

And do you all think the assault and battery one should be used when, rightly or wrongly, Bertuzzi was charged with assault and battery? I think it reflects negatively back to the NHL. It's like an NFL team having a billboard saying our players don't kill dogs.

Link to Simon incident.

Look I don't want to get into this whole should fighting be allowed in hockey debate, and that's precisely why I don't think those billboards should mention it. It's something non-hockey fans always throw in our faces. Hell Rodney Dangerfield used the boxing one as punchline to watching a hockey game.

And do you all think the assault and battery one should be used when, rightly or wrongly, Bertuzzi was charged with assault and battery? I think it reflects negatively back to the NHL. It's like an NFL team having a billboard saying our players don't kill dogs.

you've got to consider though, that these ads arn't national ad's...

they're texas ads...

*whistles*

Link to Simon incident.

Me thinks you're taking these ads a tad too seriously.

Me thinks you're taking these ads a tad too seriously.

That may be. How do you think non-hockey fans will take them? Some I imagine will take them "hell they're taking swipes at our sport, let's get them back." In fact that's already happened. I posted the Nancy one on another board and immediately they started defending the NFL and attacking hockey. Soon I bet they'll appear on ESPN tv and radio shows like Sportscenter and Mike & Mike and more attacks will come. I'm just sayin.

That may be. How do you think non-hockey fans will take them? Some I imagine will take them "hell they're taking swipes at our sport, let's get them back." In fact that's already happened. I posted the Nancy one on another board and immediately they started defending the NFL and attacking hockey. Soon I bet they'll appear on ESPN tv and radio shows like Sportscenter and Mike & Mike and more attacks will come. I'm just sayin.

People overreacting on the interwebs? Surely you jest!

I don't think the NHL should go around worrying about what Mike and Mike or NFL fans think. If people have already made up their minds that hockey sucks, billboards aren't going to change their mind one way or their other. What would you suggest in place of these billboards? They're funny and they get people talking. I'd have to imagine that's what the designers were going for.

Dallas has the best marketing team in the NHL. They haven't been girled up by the new NHL like most, and they aren't lazy sloathes that are just to collect a paycheck (the Wings advertising team comes to mind).