• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vangvace

Another hockeypuck related lawsuit

Rate this topic

Story

The sides of hockey rinks are not protected by the netting that shields spectators behind the goals. The NHL and other leagues mandated the nets after an Ohio girl was killed by a puck in 2002.

Alleging negligence in allowing a dangerous condition and failing to provide proper safeguards, Sciarrotta sued the team, the East Coast Hockey League, and the arena. She and her lawyers don't know which player shot the puck.

Feel sorry for who got hurt but... it seems like fans are going to have to start signing waivers before going to games and warm-ups... rediculous.

Guest snowman89

thats a joke... like when you go to a hockey game you realize the risk.... same with baseball... If the MLB got sued for everytime a foul ball hit someone... theyd probaly go broke....

:clap::siren:

I like the little aside in the article where a spectator sued because he got hit in the shoulder with a baseball during warmups? WTF?!? That tells you how much of a "cash in wherever you can, regardless of how stupid" society we live in.

I'm sure he immediately left the game (after watching the whole thing) and called one of the personal injury lawyers who run commercials on TV, and was fitted for a neck brace. I hate D-bags like that.

They should read the back of the event ticket they attended. It says owners of tickets accept all risk of getting injured which includes but not limited to flying pucks and sticks.

Sorry this world has become way to lawsuit minded!

Maybe they should remove all fans and just play for the TV!

IPB Image

He was injury ridden and Bj's bought him out in early december of '03. Probably went back to Norway or something.

Edited by OsGOD

They should just put a big plastic bubble around the whole rink. Maybe even eliminate the centerice faceoff and replace it with the puck popping up from a slot in the ice..

screw that. they should just start using a tennis ball instead of a puck. Then no one gets hurt.

They should read the back of the event ticket they attended. It says owners of tickets accept all risk of getting injured which includes but not limited to flying pucks and sticks.
I don't agree with the suit, but legally such "hold harmless" statements printed on the backs of tickets are meaningless. Their only purpose is to give the defense something to point to in the trial if sued in the hopes that the jury will side with them. But in the end, the courts have consistently ruled that printing such things on tickets doesn't give the promoter permission to be negligent. Edited by Gizmo

Here's a novel concept...

watch the freakin' game!

Then you might be able to pay attention to when something may come flying towards you ~_~ I have little sympathy for people who don't pay attention and wind up paying for it. I've had countless foul baseballs, warmup pucks, you name it shooting into the stands at me (o.O I swear I don't wear a bullseye or anything..) and I've never gotten hit. Ever. Granted, children are an exception... since they're usually dragged out by their parents and are more interested with other kids/what's under the seats/etc..

I mean, the puck in that story hit the post - if it hit hard enough to ricochet out and past the safety netting behind the goal.. it made a sound. Just common sense would have prevented it.

Next thing you know someone sitting in glass seats is going to use the boards as a cup rest for hot coffee and when a body check comes the hot coffee spills all over them and they are going to want to sue.

My 5th Grade math teacher was hit in the head by a puck (Shot by Federov, I think) back in the mid-90s. She got free season tickets for life and seemed more than happy with that.

I would just be happy to be able say Fedorov doinked me in the head with a puck.

Next thing you know someone sitting in glass seats is going to use the boards as a cup rest for hot coffee and when a body check comes the hot coffee spills all over them and they are going to want to sue.

I can't beleive wayne's wife didn't sue for getting doinked in the head with the panel of glass and not having her husband come to her aid.

Guest LivingtheDream

What a bunch of knee jerk BS. Would you have the same reaction if your daughter was hit by a puck? If you say yes, your an ass.

Living the Dream is the perfect example of our sue-happy society. "Oh no, something bad happened. Who can I sue to get money from it?"

I mean, if it's actually something where someone or some company is at fault, then go ahead. If you're on the roller coaster at Disneyland, and a cable snaps, taking your leg off, by all means sue. But, if you're at a hockey game where you know pucks may come flying off the ice, then you get hit, and it's your own fault.

I would be devastated if my daughter got hit by a puck, and was seriously injured. But I would understand that it was not the team, rink, owner, league, beer guy's fault.

^^ but what if it was the Beer guy who's yelling made it impossible for the child to hear the player yell FORE and thus get doinked in the head by a baseball in the hockey arena...

I would sue the hell out of the beer guy ;):lol:

Does anybody in this country take responsibility for themselves anymore and consider the risks of doing certain things? Maybe I should just intentionally drive my car in the lake and sue Toyota b/c my foot was superglued to the pedal. Pretty sad how you can pretty much sue anybody for almost anything nowadays.

Does anybody in this country take responsibility for themselves anymore and consider the risks of doing certain things? Maybe I should just intentionally drive my car in the lake and sue Toyota b/c my foot was superglued to the pedal. Pretty sad how you can pretty much sue anybody for almost anything nowadays.

Foreclosures, 0 down $30k car loans, credit cards, McDonald coffee cups... nope responsibility is in other peoples hands. I knew there was a reason I never invited the neighbors over. :P

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Here's a novel concept...

watch the freakin' game!

Then you might be able to pay attention to when something may come flying towards you ~_~ I have little sympathy for people who don't pay attention and wind up paying for it. I've had countless foul baseballs, warmup pucks, you name it shooting into the stands at me (o.O I swear I don't wear a bullseye or anything..) and I've never gotten hit. Ever. Granted, children are an exception... since they're usually dragged out by their parents and are more interested with other kids/what's under the seats/etc..

I mean, the puck in that story hit the post - if it hit hard enough to ricochet out and past the safety netting behind the goal.. it made a sound. Just common sense would have prevented it.

First of all, I agree you have to pay attention. However, prior to the nets going up I don't think there's a person on this planet that says with any truth that they paid attention to every single instant of a game when they were sitting in high danger areas. You mean to tell me you never took your eyes off the play when somebody needed to squek past you and you had to stand up so they could get by, or that you never ordered anything in the middle of a game. For anybody who claims people should just pay attention and leave it at that I find it doubtful that you could claim you never, ever took your eyes off the puck. Besides, i've seen lots of people watching the puck like hawks and still get drilled because they either don't have the reflexes to get the hell out of the way or they try to move and move right into it or it deflects off something then hits them.

All that said, I made an oath to myself that I would never, ever sit in the lower bowl with my children. I live in Ohio and I went to a handful of games the year that little girl died in Columbus. I have 2 daughters and for their sake I would never seat them in a place where they could potentially be hit by anything. If I take them to a Reds game we're sittin' in the "cheap seats". If we go to a hockey game, its upper bowl all the way. Anybody who thinks they're children will be safe is flirting with disaster by sitting in areas that are prone to balls or pucks landing in. Anybody who thinks they can keep an eye on their kids and the game 100% of the time is in even more trouble.